What's this for?

starman

Featured Posts

I spotted these 'wings' on the back of an old (sorry, historic) tug narrowboat. Does anyone know what they are for?

Someone suggested they were to help keep the prop free of mud and silt when bottoming out on the canal bed. Can't say I really see that.post-2992-0-80760300-1476129197_thumb.jpg

A shelf to catch any tools you manage to drop whilst trying to cut stuff off the prop via the weed hatch, (so you can get them back again)?

(.............................Not a serious suggestion, before anybody treats it as such!)

Perhaps the wings reduce the amount of water drawn by the prop from under the boat and helps it to draw more from the sides, perhaps reducing the amount it pulls itself down under power.

Actually that's pretty much what was suggested to me - I didn't phrase it too well in the op.

Perhaps the wings reduce the amount of water drawn by the prop from under the boat and helps it to draw more from the sides, perhaps reducing the amount it pulls itself down under power.

Sounds good to me.

Someone suggested they were to help keep the prop free of mud and silt when bottoming out on the canal bed. Can't say I really see that.attachicon.gifIMG_5860.jpg

I can see that: I don't understand why you can't.

Also, looking at the downward angle, looks like it allows a slightly larger prop (but that may be the picture giving the wrong impression.

Nor is there a lot of draught for something historic.

Of course it might be a counter welded onto the front ( or back end turned around) of an older hull.

My first impression was a platform to stand on when reaching under to clear the blades. Then I saw the lid for the weed hatch.

I now think the owner at the time damaged his prop or shaft on an under water obstacle and just thought I know I'll weld a a guard under it so I don't have this hassle, expense and needing a crane/dry dock again.

Any pictures of the rest of the boat? Looks interesting!

I think it is to protect the propeller or more specifically the shaft - as someone else suggested perhaps the owner caught a solid item in the prop and bent the shaft so when repairs were carried out they put this plate on. Very handy for shallow canals with large amounts of industrial / metal waste about. Some areas are worse than others like this.

Is it a pusher tug?

Typoa

Edited by magnetman

Starman

Was the boat by an ordinary canal or somewhere with more rough water?

It could be designed to stop the stern lifting out too much when cruising in rough areas such as Tideways with a lot of traffic and wash about.

I spotted these 'wings' on the back of an old (sorry, historic) tug narrowboat. Does anyone know what they are for?

Someone suggested they were to help keep the prop free of mud and silt when bottoming out on the canal bed. Can't say I really see that.attachicon.gifIMG_5860.jpg

Streethay ???