How to stop roof hatch from sliding closed?

Featured Posts

My sliding roof hatch (photos below) has no locking mechanism when open, so tends to slide closed since the boat is lower at the stern. I’d appreciate ideas of something simple that would keep it open. I’d rather not start drilling through metal, if possible. Perhaps something magnetic? Thanks for any help biggrin.png

post-25277-0-86735400-1476008847_thumb.jpg

post-25277-0-46064200-1476008857_thumb.jpg

Is this tendency for the hatch to otherwise slide shut, the reason for the complex 'rising' shape of a back cabin in the first place?

I thought that was to partially compensate for the bow high trim of an unloaded motor.

I thought that was to partially compensate for the bow high trim of an unloaded motor.

Hmmm that makes more sense. So the back cabin slopes only 50% one way when loaded, and 50% the other when empty. Probably better than level when loaded and sloping lots when empty.

Open the slide fully, allow a bit more room than needed behind the slide for (something like an M8?) bolt head of your choice, clearance drill vertically down through the slide rail where there's nothing underneath, drop in a suitably sized stainless bolt, et voila: a removable stop.

Seeing as it's only metal that OP doesn't want to drill through I'd suggest a sliding bolt attached to the wooden rail at the back of the slide and a hole in the wood trim to slide it into.