Winter moorings and short term summer ones.

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

We intend leaving our long term marina mooring next spring and cruising until October. During the cruising month's we will want to leave the boat in a marina occasionally, just for a week or two period. Then come October we will need a winter marina mooring. Any marina within the midlands will suit. I imagine a few people here have experience of the above, is it reasonably easy to find moorings on these terms?

Cheers.

Ian.

We intend leaving our long term marina mooring next spring and cruising until October. During the cruising month's we will want to leave the boat in a marina occasionally, just for a week or two period. Then come October we will need a winter marina mooring. Any marina within the midlands will suit. I imagine a few people here have experience of the above, is it reasonably easy to find moorings on these terms?

Cheers.

Ian.

Well I rolled up to Venetian marina at the end of last month hoping to more there for the next year and they were full, I suspect that a lot of the vacancies were taken up by people booking for a few months from the 1st of October as during the summer they had loads of spaces. I think you will have little problem finding somewhere for the odd week in the summer.

We often have to leave our boat in various marinas all over the system in the summer months . Maybe just for 2 or 3 nights but on other occasions for 6 weeks or more, never had a problem . We do however make sure that our winter moorings are booked by May / June . Bunny .

If you join a boat club affiliated to the AWCC (Association of Waterways Cruising Clubs), you can leave your boat with another club if they've got room, often free of charge. Obviously this will be more likely in the Summer, when boats are out. Also, a small boat (like mine!) is more easily accommodated.

Range from about £7.50/ £9.00a night in the summer. Just had 2 months mooring at £ 48.00 a week plus electric. About to go onto winter moorings £240 a month plus electric ( this one's on line but non towpath only 3 boats there we are the only winter moorer) we usually pay about that, down south for winter. Bunny.

From a boat yard perspective. Not intentional advertising:

We've often got space at Sovereign Wharf in Banbury over the summer months while our long term moorers are out cruising. But our winter moorings are normally booked before the previous winter is over!

We charge £10/night including electric. That seemed fair for our area after a little research. We will sometimes do a deal on periods of more than a few weeks. I shouldn't think you'll struggle during the summer. I know lost marinas on the Oxford are glad of short term summer moorings. Winter moorings are always in short supply. We get enquires all year for the winter, even more so as October approaches - I wouldn't leave it that late!

I know its not quite the same as original posts but its related to winter moorings.

What happens if you book a winter mooring and you cant use i must stress i mean cant use it as you cant actuall get to the bank and i dont mean just a little i mean 2+feet out. Reason i ask is looking at a few moorings and i know i can get in as all of them in some parts but not all. I know most of the sections are around 2 feet at the bank some down to a foot orthers are 3+ but these are limited.

I need to stay in local area to tring as going on dock in feb and dont wanna do lots of boating before hand due to weather conditions.

Ive asked crt but didnt really get a reply apart from please check out t&cs and look at avalable moorings.

I dont really wanna spend more than 300 for 2 months dec and jan as we have boating plans till mid nov and on dock in feb reason being i wanna spend more money on the boat that a mooring cc isnt an option over these 2 months due to work on the boat i intend to have the fuel tank and engine disconnected for other work so dont wanna be rushed by having to move it in the cold.

3 locks, there was another 2 in that area ive just come from there but without going to berko. Ive had my wife walk most of the section with a measure stick i can nearly tell you the depths at most spots along from fenny to ivinghoe.

Its turning out to be my favourite job to do when going boating.

Do marinas generally allow you to reserve a winter mooring, months in advance, without having to pay for the months in between?

We're contemplating renting out our mooring, which is currently being wasted by being empty during the summer months, and just taking a marina mooring each winter.

Edited by Keeping Up

Do marinas generally allow you to reserve a winter mooring, months in advance, without having to pay for the months in between?

We're contemplating renting out our mooring, which is currently being wasted by being empty during the summer months, and just taking a marina mooring each winter.

I suspect that depends on where and the level of excess marina capacity in that area. If the marina have plenty of space there is no harm in taking winter bookings.

I suspect that depends on where and the level of excess marina capacity in that area. If the marina have plenty of space there is no harm in taking winter bookings.

I tried to get into Venetian Marina last month for the next 12 months but they were full.I would guess a lot of the vacancies they had during the summer have been taken on a 3 or 6 month contract

If you join a boat club affiliated to the AWCC (Association of Waterways Cruising Clubs), you can leave your boat with another club if they've got room, often free of charge. Obviously this will be more likely in the Summer, when boats are out. Also, a small boat (like mine!) is more easily accommodated.

Often free of charge, true, but a donation to club funds never goes amiss. Well worth it for a secure and friendly mooring.

We booked ours in March for this winter . ( south oxford) . We have enquired at Saltisford at Warwick and they expect to have there next winters list almost full by the previous February . Bunny

Had a nother reply from crt backly saying we have contacted the local office wait for them to get back to you.

And again just stated from there t&cs that you have 14 days to get a refund after 14 days you have to pay for at least 1 month.

Looks like im going to be either loosing money or paying for a mooring i cant use at this rate.

We crt are once again really helpfull.

Bottom line is so far no one knows what happens if the space they allocate you is no good as i know some parts along the section a down to a foot and 1/2.

Ive got to ring back later as the local office are at lunch. Not quite sure what the local office can tell me that the main moorings help line cant apart from the main office dont seam to know where there winter moorings are.