1976 51ft cruiser stern value?

Mendip-Locks

Featured Posts

They're near Bath, I'd say they're looking for someone younger and not knowledgeable about boats to.see the nice interior and pay the full price.

Or maybe they were that person and overpaid, and are trying to get their money back. I've seen that happen too.

I'd offer 15k, I think.

That is seriously overpriced and mis described.......semi trad?, all together boys and girls oh no it's not. I agree with the general comments of FtS and would think it is not worth more than 12000. It looks to me also that they have paid big money for the boat AND a mooring and are looking to replace the boat with something better as they have made a point of stressing the lack of a mooring. I am always suspicious of boats with semi hippy decor......dream catchers and tie died scarves etc. ( And yes I have just taken to my Anderson shelter)

Edited by PaddingtonBear
  • Greenie 1

If £21.5K is a reduced price, Gawd knows what the original was!

All sorts of alarm bells to me, not the least apparent lack of any information about original builder, hull condition, or whether over-plated, and if so how much.

GRP cabin condition is admitted as poor.

The fact that all the external flooring, front and back, looks like builders shuttering plywood, and apparently unpainted, could give a fair idea about "renovation" done on the boat.

The installation of the stove looks questionable too.

Worth maybe half the asking?

Only don't have the hull surveyed if you can afford to lose most of what you pay for it, I would say, but I'd look elsewhere.

That is seriously overpriced and mis described.......semi trad?, all together boys and girls oh no it's not. I agree with the general comments of FtS and would think it is not worth more than 12000. It looks to me also that they have paid big money for the boat AND a mooring and are looking to replace the boat with something better as they have made a point of stressing the lack of a mooring. I am always suspicious of boats with semi hippy decor......dream catchers and tie died scarves etc. ( And yes I have just taken to my Anderson shelter)

Pretty close to the mark I reckon. They are keeping the mooring and need to get the old boat sold to make way for their newer and nicer boat. This must be the case otherwise they'd be selling it on the mooring and making a big issue of what a great mooring you get for your money.

Either that or that whopping great dog that lives on it has pished off the neighbours and/or the landlord and they've been given notice to quit!

As an aside, someone told me the other day if you have a CRT mooring and you sell your boat, the buyer cannot take over the CRT mooring and has to take the boat away. Is that correct?

A boat of this age has not got a book price at all, it really is worth what the new owner thinks its worth, If the hull is good, it will almost certainly have some overplating which is not necessarily a bad thing and the inside is ok etc. etc. then £20,000 is not a huge price, if it is a home you are looking for then that is quite cheap compared with many, that long back deck is a waste of living space though, could be an old ex hire boat, it will just fill up with dead leaves, rot, and old junk. My estimate for what its worth is with a reasonable survey is £10 - 15 000.

A boat of this age has not got a book price at all, it really is worth what the new owner thinks its worth, If the hull is good, it will almost certainly have some overplating which is not necessarily a bad thing and the inside is ok etc. etc. then £20,000 is not a huge price, if it is a home you are looking for then that is quite cheap compared with many, that long back deck is a waste of living space though, could be an old ex hire boat, it will just fill up with dead leaves, rot, and old junk. My estimate for what its worth is with a reasonable survey is £10 - 15 000.

I don't think it was a waste of space for the vendor, it is panelled in for use as a pen for the dog.

Agree though it all turns on the condition of the hull. If in first class nick yes high £teens. If nearly a colander but recoverable then £10k tops.

Thanks all for your replies I'm probably going to look elsewhere as Alan suggests.

The 10k mark is where I'd pitch an offer though. Looking at 8k to get it overplated if it wasn't already.

If you did that would you get your 18k for it in a few years time, depends who you can get to buy it I suppose. But you do see a lot of these type of boats hanging around on sales sites for some while so that answers my own question I guess.

Any thoughts on a maker? I was thinking Harbour Marine.

Any thoughts on a maker? I was thinking Harbour Marine.

Not vaguely like any Harborough Marine boat I have ever seen, in fact hard to see how it could be much less like a standard Harborough boat with a GRP top.

I'm not convinced the hull, at least, is by any of the builders of the era that built boats in any volume.

The top looks very much like a Teddesley Boat Company one to me, but I'm not convinced the hull is. I think Teddesley may have supplied tops to fit on other people's hulls - certainly some makers of GRP topped boatd did.

The hull could have very different origins from the top, maybe the hull is older than the top. Who and why would you fit a top for a 40ft boat on a 51ft hull? If you don't need the dog space than what are you going to do with that space from now til April? It's a lot of space to lose for six months of the year, You'd still need to cover it to keep water out of the engine hole.

Are you aware whether it's an iron hull or steel hull?

Are you a DIY type that can 'fix' problems as they arise? then it might be worth making an offer after seeing a full survey.- you will need one anyway - to insure it if you buy it.

What else is available for £20K or thereabouts?.

Are you a DIY type that can 'fix' problems as they arise? then it might be worth making an offer after seeing a full survey.- you will need one anyway - to insure it if you buy it.

You will *not* need a survey for the third party and (ironically) salvage insurance required for licensing. It doesn't sound the sort of boat it would be worth having comprehensive insurance for.

Yes it's disappointing to see this falsehood peddled out on here yet again. Boats are only obliged to have TPI, and a survey is not required.

Yes it's disappointing to see this falsehood peddled out on here yet again. Boats are only obliged to have TPI, and a survey is not required.

Why not asimple corrective objective statement to explain the details in a polite tactful manner instead of leading with a subjective response accusing me of spreading lies.

It's false economy not to have a survey or comprehensive insurance.

Why not asimple corrective objective statement to explain the details in a polite tactful manner instead of leading with a subjective response accusing me of spreading lies.

My apologies. I've patiently explained this about 100 times already on this forum though, and seeing it stated incorrectly yet again that insurance cannot be had without a survey made me lose patience.

I agree a survey and comp insurance is a Good Idea if you cannot afford to lose the boat, but that is a different thing from saying as you did, that insurance cannot be obtained without a survey.

(Edit to remove the tautology.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

There's another sweeping statement which certainly is not true for everyone or every boat. It has been discussed at great length on many threads over many years (including recently) so I am not going to get into the arguments about it here. But it is wrong to make categorical statements on the basis of incomplete knowledge especially where this may mislead people. Edited by Chertsey
  • Greenie 1

Yes very hands on always like a project not done a boat before though.

There are boats around under 20k but not a huge amount, you need to be in and around 25k to get among more offerings but as has been said in other threads look at boats 10k above your budget and put in some silly offer you never know.

Trouble for me is I want a 2 berth with occasional room for 4 so 40ft minimum really and 15k to play with for now. Do people really take 10k less than they advertise for?

It would suggest that the reverse is true. It is well known that insurance companies will do their level best to wriggle out of their responsibilities and it is unlikely at best that any claim that is paid will put you in the position you were before your incident. What on earth would you claim for under fully comp. anyway? As all damage to third parties and the recovery of the insured as a result of sinking is covered under third party cover. A survey on the other hand is an entirely different matter...........Ho Ho Ho as anyone who knows me knows full well. NEither of the last two canal boats that we have bought were surveyed and one was eighty years old although we knew what we were looking at :) if you don't for goodness have a survey especially when purchasing a rough old boat like the one under discussion

Well would you believe it! My better half and I dropped our daughter off at Bath train station and then took a walk from Dundas to Claverton and back just browsing to see if any were for sale. As she says they are not all on the internet and quite tight to we did see two on the towpath not advertised anywhere else I've seen.

To the point we actually saw this boat! On a co-operative mooring at millbrook swing bridge. Nobody looked to be on board and it was the opposite side from the towpath.

No. 1 coincidence that was, now I had the number to search for its maker it turns out Alan was right on the maker.

"Karen Jane Built by Teddesley Boat Co. - Length : 15.24 metres ( 50 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.61 metres ( 2 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 25 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 502112 as a Powered Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )"

No. 2 coincidence Karen Jane are my wife's Christian and middle names!

Struggling to do photos on the iPad so here's the links to my photos.

https://goo.gl/photos/iDfmr97CtmkHRiZX7

https://goo.gl/photos/5h8Phs4vcd5wh2sB7

https://goo.gl/photos/fpAhe9aZ9sx1Fkj66

https://goo.gl/photos/T674A4WDChmB6NLf7

So not moored on Somerset Wiltshire border as the ad says.

Think I'll put in an embarrassing offer!

If £21.5K is a reduced price, Gawd knows what the original was!

In the description it says they are looking for £22k. So there's your reduction!

A what?

Richard

Perhaps a typo for a 3cy Lister i.e. a 3 cylinder Lister. Probably an SR3 on a boat that age.

Edited by David Mack