Pope

Featured Posts

I once landed a 22ft cabin cruiser fishing there too.

Somehow I failed to notice it when casting my perch spinner and amazingly it caught in his bow fender. he didn't notice and not knowing what else to do, I just hauled on the line. The cabin cruiser swerved straight in and climbed the bank much to his surprise!

I reclaimed my lure and he went on his way amicably.

I once landed a 22ft cabin cruiser fishing there too.

Somehow I failed to notice it when casting my perch spinner and amazingly it caught in his bow fender. he didn't notice and not knowing what else to do, I just hauled on the line. The cabin cruiser swerved straight in and climbed the bank much to his surprise!

I reclaimed my lure and he went on his way amicably.

This sounds like a very fishy tail to me. What was the braking strain of you line.

That's interesting Mark, I have only ever caught one on very rare occasions, I guess they must be prolific somewhere but that has never been somewhere that I've been.

Phil

Phil - where you are you must be in a better position than most to catch a Burbot......or Eel Pout.... IIRC the last place they were ever seen was East Anglia. Go on dangle out a rod and see if you can become famous by catching an "extinct" in UK species.

Edited by mark99

Plenty of ruffe in the Macc, usually get 3 or 4 in a day. They are bad news. Not just because of the way they sometimes flare their gills out and firmly shut their mouths, catching a few also pretty well guarantees that you won't catch much worthwhile in the near future.

Plenty of ruffe in the Macc, usually get 3 or 4 in a day. They are bad news. Not just because of the way they sometimes flare their gills out and firmly shut their mouths, catching a few also pretty well guarantees that you won't catch much worthwhile in the near future.

They excuminiucate their fellows from the swim.

• 2 months later...

Phil - where you are you must be in a better position than most to catch a Burbot......or Eel Pout.... IIRC the last place they were ever seen was East Anglia. Go on dangle out a rod and see if you can become famous by catching an "extinct" in UK species.

People claim to catch one occasionally, mostly in the northern Pennine rivers but I have my doubts. It's strange how a species extant from the ice age supposedly succumbed to a series of mild winters. Not an unprecedented extinction however, Vendace have disappeared as recently as 2008.

Burbot could be imported from Europe but the fisheries dept are dead against it.

• 1 year later...
On 09/10/2016 at 09:38, Mike the Boilerman said:

I used to catch the odd one in the Wey Navigation between Weybridge and Addlestone, when I fished there as a brat sprat

corrected that for you.