looking for details of 1981 built Stoke Boat #006

helmsman

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I am looking for details of a 1981 35ft trad stern narrowboat believed to be boat #006 built by Stoke On Trent Boat Builders. I'm trying to get the original hull steel specification.

Any suggestions as to where I can find this. I've tried phoning Stoke Boats but they tell me their boat numbers only start at 100 and were unable to help.

Any ideas?

All info gratefully received.

You could try typing the name of the boat into Jim Shead's website it may have the details you want or at least give more info on who made the boat.

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/index.php

Edit to add that I forgot that the boat list is now hosted on the following site.

http://canalplan.org.uk/boats/boats.php

Edited by churchward

@churchward, I have already done this and for the boat in question, based in the boat index number, and a former name ('Dead Calm'), it shows as 35ft manufactured by Stoke Boats...but the people I have spoken to so far there deny all knowledge.

Additionally, the plate in the well deck clearly states 'Stone On Trent Boat Building Co., Longport Wharf, No 006. Go figure :/

I do not know much about modern canal boats but if your B.W.B. index number is 78769 then I can add that when this number was issued in 1980/81 your boat was named BURSLEY.

If this is the correct index number / boat then this name might help when approaching its builder for information captain.gif

Additionally, the plate in the well deck clearly states 'Stone On Trent Boat Building Co., Longport Wharf, No 006. Go figure :/

It was built 35 years ago, so I'd be prepared to cut the current folks at Stoke Boats just a bit of slack!

If you are keen to know the steel thicknesses, you could measure the roof where it overhangs into the forward well deck whilst the sides can probably be gauged at the engine hole vents. The baseplate edges might be better left til the next docking, but bear the thought in mind when you fall in next. ;):D

Hello all,

I am looking for details of a 1981 35ft trad stern narrowboat believed to be boat #006 built by Stoke On Trent Boat Builders. I'm trying to get the original hull steel specification.

Any suggestions as to where I can find this. I've tried phoning Stoke Boats but they tell me their boat numbers only start at 100 and were unable to help.

Any ideas?

All info gratefully received.

Their numbers did only start at 100 -- which means you need to ask them about number 106, surely.

Their numbers did only start at 100 -- which means you need to ask them about number 106, surely.

Why would they put No. 006 on the plate, if it were really 106, though?

@pete_harrison Thanks for the info. Yes, the boat is 78769 and I know she was originally called 'Bursley'...but I have seen no mention of this on the internet. Where did you get this info from? I'm intrigued.

@adam1uk, here's the plate fixed in the front of the well deck...

IMG_3575.PNG

@Sea Dog, sound advice, thanks. I'll be mindful of that should I fall in anytime soon. boat.gif

Edited by helmsman

@pete_harrison Thanks for the info. Yes, the boat is 78769 and I know she was originally called 'Bursley'...but I have seen no mention of this on the internet. Where did you get this info from? I'm intrigued.

I dabble a little in the research of 'historic' narrow boats (commercial carrying narrow boats) and so I have made a few notes over the years. One of my notes involves B.W.B. index numbers, and includes most issued in 1983 and 1985 captain.gif

Why would they put No. 006 on the plate, if it were really 106, though?

I would think because it was the sixth boat they built -- even though at some point they decided to start numbering their boats from 101 rather than from 001. These days the number is painted on the side of the boats, but I've no idea if they did that back then.

Ask them about 106 and see if it matches. The key may be speaking to Mike Adkins himself.

I too have an old SoT boat but don't know its number. There's no plaque in the well deck, anyone know where else it might be numbered? I have looked pretty well everywhere I can think of.

It could be anywhere: with ours (177) they gave us the plaque so that we could screw it on wherever we liked.

One thing that could complicate matters is they told us at the time the numbers didn't actually refer to the number of boats they had built because when they did any major job of work on any boat they gave it a job number, and it was the job number that appears on the plaque. I wonder if perhaps in the early days the boat number and job number got rather muddled up.

• 4 years later...