Farmers Locks - Birmingham and Fazeley

Featured Posts

It may be that we've been lucky

Not especially so. We boat around the BCN quite a bit and have had no more or less unpleasantness than anywhere else. Mind you, the ducks are funny - they fly away from boats!

Richard

Not especially so. We boat around the BCN quite a bit and have had no more or less unpleasantness than anywhere else. Mind you, the ducks are funny - they fly away from boats!

Richard

I would echo that .... the worst that has happened to me is I had an apple thrown at the boat on the main line!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been down Farmers Bridge twice this year with the NBT coal boats, and I like the strangeness of its descent among the surrounding buildings. There's one pound where it passes the window of an office, and the people in there must have fascinating jobs because they never look out! People usually notice when Brighton goes by laden with coal, but not that lot.

I've been down Farmers Bridge twice this year with the NBT coal boats, and I like the strangeness of its descent among the surrounding buildings. There's one pound where it passes the window of an office, and the people in there must have fascinating jobs because they never look out! People usually notice when Brighton goes by laden with coal, but not that lot.

I can see the fascination, but for a novice with a head cold, and a touch of virtigo..... lol We shall go through again at some point, it's certainly an experience. I know the window you mentioned. Think there's a rather posh Indian restaurant that uses the locks as a feature/talking point. But what philistine councillors agreed to the building of a block of flats over a lock? Sacrilege!

Because I've got an 'over active imagination' I kept thinking about murders being committed at these locks, and the body stuffed in one of those dark alcoves! (Note to self; I really should write that book!)

Birmingham should be congratulated for how it's embraced its heritage and built something that is really unique.

• Greenie 2

In my opinion the only other town which has made a similar effort to embrace its canal frontage is Gloucester (but that perhaps always had a more promising start). So many towns largely ignore the canal in favour of their sexier rivers or other features: Worcester, Manchester, Stratford, Leeds, Chester, Oxford - I'm looking at you.

Other places don't have much of note to offer, yet they still make little or nothing of their canals, eg Wolverhampton.

Well done Birmingham (and Gloucester).

I spotted that office also, not one of them looked away from the monitor in front of them, made me very happy to have quit that life of emails, targets, twatty bosses and allows me to spend more time on the boat, although sometimes I miss the dosh.

On the subject of Farmers flight. Is there any volunteers working in the next week do you know?

I walked down half the flight today, but didnt see a boat, let alone a locky.

I'll be going down the Farmers Bridge Locks and the Aston Flight on Tuesday, I dont expect to meet any Lockies, but I'll let you know if you want!

Nipper

I walked down half the flight today, but didnt see a boat, let alone a locky.

I'll be going down the Farmers Bridge Locks and the Aston Flight on Tuesday, I dont expect to meet any Lockies, but I'll let you know if you want!

Nipper

Are you continuing to the Hatton Flight? If so you might need to check with C&RT, a boater told me today that repairs are planned for next week. Internet is no good where I am at the moment, or I'd check for you

Are you continuing to the Hatton Flight? If so you might need to check with C&RT, a boater told me today that repairs are planned for next week. Internet is no good where I am at the moment, or I'd check for you

Thanks Jennifer, but we did them a week or so ago.

No, we are going to Fazeley and from there to Coventry (Hawkesbury Junction) see relations and drink beer!,

Then, maybe, up to Stone, cus we can, and them i'm tempted to come back down to Birmingham for Christmas.

Then up to Llangollen for Jan and Feb,for no better reason than we think it's nice!

Blimey, the life of the retired is soo busy!

Nipper

You should head up the ashby for a few days, lovely this time of the year.

Yes, that is one of my options, but having been up and down it several times this year, i think a break would be good.

It's been our thoughts that if we have to charge batteries for a few hours every day, then we may as well cruise those hours.

But the Llangollen would be one of the last waterways to freeze, should we get a dose of coldness, and Llangollen, Ellesmere and Whitchurch have good shops selling wonderfull cheese and other tasty bites. The pubs arn't bad either!cheers.gif

Nipper

Edited by nipper

Thanks for the replies. I am at the bottom of the flight now but no time to make a start on them to finish before dark. How crazy is the lack of moorings anywhere from Salford Jcn. All concrete and brick towpaths, who said Birmingham has embraced the canals, neglected to mention but not the boats. So I am moored on the landing and hope no one comes up needing it. Ill make a move at first light, as all the locks are with me it may help Nipper. if you could start later in the morning.

Edited by Terryb

Thanks for the replies. I am at the bottom of the flight now but no time to make a start on them to finish before dark. How crazy is the lack of moorings anywhere from Salford Jcn. All concrete and brick towpaths, who said Birmingham has embraced the canals, neglected to mention but not the boats. So I am moored on the landing and hope no one comes up needing it. Ill make a move at first light, as all the locks are with me it may help Nipper. if you could start later in the morning.

Hiya Terry.

We will leave around 9 ish, so may meet you halfway, it may, of coarse be later, if Mary decides she needs more shopping!judge.gif

There arn't that many boats in town, so getting a mooring will be easy, as it is, there are two 14 day moorings free in front of my bow, and there is even a mooring free in Cambrian Wharf.

Plus, during our stay here we have not seen any hoodies, druggies, or drinkers anywhere in town and down the bits of the flight we have walked down.

So take your time and enjoy the flights!

Nipper

OMG!!!

You are in that spooky place over night? But it's Halloween! I would be freaking out.......

Presently we are on the Oxford, out in the sticks, think there maybe less ghouls here than at the bottom of Farmers Bridge Locks!

I'll light a candle to keep you safe wink.png

Happy Halloween everyone

post-26819-0-05239500-1477933557.jpeg

Yes, that is one of my options, but having been up and down it several times this year, i think a break would be good.

It's been our thoughts that if we have to charge batteries for a few hours every day, then we may as well cruise those hours.

But the Llangollen would be one of the last waterways to freeze, should we get a dose of coldness, and Llangollen, Ellesmere and Whitchurch have good shops selling wonderfull cheese and other tasty bites. The pubs arn't bad either!:cheers:

Nipper

That's what we are planning for New Year