coal deals - anything good out there?

magnetman

Featured Posts

Looks like summer is over. Again.

Time to get some coal in. I have been using Brazier smokeless in 10kg bags from Home Bargains for the last couple of years. Before that I was a Homefire man.

Anyway has anyone seen anything good about ? I'm in favour of the 10kg bags if it isn't too expensive as they are such a joy to handle compared with the 25s.

I go through quite a lot of coal as solid fuel is the primary heating on my barge.

I don't think I'd get away with house coal as am moored below blocks of flats.

Not keen on excel but will look at the new one.

Supersmashinggreatheat would be ideal ;)

Noticed someone selling Wonderfuel on eBay

I imagine some of the more odd named fuels are rebranded standard products :unsure:

Not keen on excel but will look at the new one.

Supersmashinggreatheat would be ideal wink.png

Noticed someone selling Wonderfuel on eBay

I imagine some of the more odd named fuels are rebranded standard products unsure.png

I think the Newheat is a new one. I've never seen nuts quite as big, about twice the size of Excel, Pureheat, Taybright.

I think the Newheat is a new one. I've never seen nuts quite as big, about twice the size of Excel, Pureheat, Taybright.

Google tells me Newheat is a replacement for pureheat.

Maybe the same thing with bigger eggs?

WinterBlaze £8 for 25 kilo (when you buy x5 at a time ) £8.50 if singles , Large eggs lights and burns well , not smokeless but after initial smoke its virtually smokeless once up to temp , a bit ashy compared to anthracite etc but hey ho its pretty good deal IMO

There are some good deals to be had but I prefer to give my business to the local coal boat. If everyone were to shop around to only save a quid or two these boats would likely go out of business, the canals would be poorer for it.

Agree. I wholeheartedly agree. We have, however just used a local coal merchant in Chorley as there is a shortage of floating suppliers on the L&L.

Going to Halsall country soon.

There are some good deals to be had but I prefer to give my business to the local coal boat. If everyone were to shop around to only save a quid or two these boats would likely go out of business, the canals would be poorer for it.

I agree with that but as I live in a very busy part of London the coal boat has more business than he can handle anyway so he won't miss my trade.

I would definitely buy from the coal boat if I were in a more rural location.

Agree. I wholeheartedly agree. We have, however just used a local coal merchant in Chorley as there is a shortage of floating suppliers on the L&L.

We use Mayors for the house and the boat, but if you want to support a coal boat then Mark off Ambush is on the boatyard opposite you at the moment!

Edit for clarity, Ambush isn't there, but Mark is. Watch for the bloke walking a little dog in a red neckerchief past you.

Edited by TheBiscuits

How chemically is it? I stopped using excel, it made my asthma terrible.

As Magnetman mentioned LM. Newheat I think is the same stuff as Pureheat only twice as big. So if you've tried Pureheat and it was ok then Newheat should be ok. But if Pureheat wasn't ok then Newheat probably won't be ok, ok. smile.png

We use Mayors for the house and the boat, but if you want to support a coal boat then Mark off Ambush is on the boatyard opposite you at the moment!

Edit for clarity, Ambush isn't there, but Mark is. Watch for the bloke walking a little dog in a red neckerchief past you.

I forget who's who as we travel around. I know you called across to us in April and I have an idea where that was. As we came past aweekor so ago we noticed the Dutch style barge with rhe horizontal steering wheel moored up. The next day or so,this vessel arrive at Botany Bay yard. I guess you were on that boat and I have seen to working on it since.

We left Botany yesterday. Can't recall seeing a little dog with a neckerchief. There are so many dogs along that section.

Where is Ambush?

Sorry I didn't recognise you.

Martyn

It gets worse further East on the North East waterways, we were never ever able to patronise a floating supplier as much as we would have loved to. We bought all our coal from a merchant in Castleford and even Morrisons in Knottigley a few times.

I agree and it's great when you can, however some sections of the waterways in the UK are not frequented by floating coal/gas suppliers and some boaters have no real choice other than to patronise land based suppliers...

• 2 weeks later...