Water Cans and Handbowls

pete harrison

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...

One of my customer’s wives got in touch recently....her husband was keen to bid but had no idea of value. I replied to the effect that I’d known recent sales to realise £7/800 for similar items. I seem to have under priced this one. Maybe £12/1400?

Let’s see. I’m not bidding, either.....

Dave

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 14:31, pete harrison said:

What makes me think this Can is going to go for mega money  - nice old Can and nice old paint :captain:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Narrowboat-watering-can-painted-Buckby-style-Bargeware/283658879501?hash=item420b63020d:g:pJ0AAOSwkyRduYTu

1845624296_CanonEbay31October2019.jpg.2195d8d4f9a1cfb1443ad5066959e29f.jpg

Just sold for £890 :captain:

14 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Hi Fittie! 

I’ve just contacted the seller to advise that his provenance is mistaken. It will be interesting to see whether he responds. If so, I’ll let you know what transpires.

Cheers

Dave

I contacted him a couple of days ago and have no reply at all.

8 hours ago, fittie said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Narrowboat-Buckby-Can/223737018842?hash=item3417c3f9da:g:tmgAAOSwW4JdwG9b

A can on ebay that clearly is not by the late Mr Hough though the seller thinks it is...how?

7 hours ago, dave moore said:

Hi Fittie! 

I’ve just contacted the seller to advise that his provenance is mistaken. It will be interesting to see whether he responds. If so, I’ll let you know what transpires.

Cheers

Dave

7 hours ago, fittie said:

I contacted him a couple of days ago and have no reply at all.

Looks like it was withdrawn from sale at 16:44 today, and it did make me smile when I saw it when first advertised a few days ago :captain:

I also wrote to the seller this afternoon, and gave pictorial evidence of why I knew the can was not painted by Ron.  What is a bit upsetting is if the seller genuinely believed it was by Ron, having been sold the can as being by him.

• 4 months later...

Thanks Pete. They are the work of Martin “ Bunny” Bunford, and were probably painted in the 60s/70s. Bunny was an active painter and enthusiast in those times and bought Gifford from Clayton’s when they finished in 66. You probably know all of this! Hope all is well with you and yours in trying times.....I’m running out of stuff to paint!

13 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Thanks Pete. They are the work of Martin “ Bunny” Bunford, and were probably painted in the 60s/70s. Bunny was an active painter and enthusiast in those times and bought Gifford from Clayton’s when they finished in 66. You probably know all of this! Hope all is well with you and yours in trying times.....I’m running out of stuff to paint!

Mr Speight has just written similar elsewhere.

All is well with me thanks and I am still working flat out at the moment. You take care of yourself and keep your head down for now :captain:

1 hour ago, dave moore said:

The ad. says the cans date to the 1930s, have they been repainted or been hanging about for 40 years unpainted?!!!
I have a can you can paint.................I'll meet you half way up the M6 at a safe distance of course maybe you on the Nortbound carriage and me on the Southbound.................there's plenty of room on there at the moment. ?

Hope your keeping well Dave.

Hi Graham

Another can would be good, 3 swags of roses and that’s it. I may even have to clean out the workshop......?

We are fine thanks, assume you are too. I’ve some of Bunny’s stuff here at home, he was quite prolific in the 60s. I can’t help thinking that the asking price is a tad optimistic, though you never can tell these days. Let’s see.......

I’ve just had a look and the seller has withdrawn them from sale. Perhaps someone advised him of the date error...wasn’t me!