Water Cans and Handbowls

pete harrison

Featured Posts

Thanks, Alan.

A highly respected forum member thinks it may well be by Joseph Ash of Birmingham. I’ve painted their stuff previously but have never encountered the copper rivets. The whole thing is a testimony to old time craftsmanship.

Dave

I believe this Bococks produced 2 gallon Can carries the paintwork of Phil Speight (apart from the lettering ?), and I am pretty sure is from the late 1980's (I bought an identical Can for BADSEY in mid 1988) - unused and advertised on Ebay with a starting price of £30.00 :

679047979_can1.jpg.b8ac41d3d60f9f1374506766aeac0490.jpg1631529483_can2.jpg.cce8aa412e6b2e9a6c5f583e4350faeb.jpg1251608306_can3.jpg.8c1e3cb2d2733f8063be658b52df103b.jpg

Hi Pete

I think that this was the work of the Flemings, not Fill, though I can’t ascribe which hand it may have been. They were certainly active around that time, possibly based in the Great Haywood area...it’s all long ago now....

Here’s a recently completed can by yours truly, one of the batch of Lesters I acquired recently. Had I known you were looking for an Ash can, I’d have been in touch. Sarah Edgson liked it too. Sorry.

BEF6BFCF-89BA-40B8-B865-EF69B71F241B.jpeg

56D3F48E-E1F4-4C82-9ED3-43394C6B4C74.jpeg

1CB21DAE-B91F-4767-95BF-B5DA5184E6D8.jpeg

145658A0-D69F-488D-BA2A-9C5B75479BC1.jpeg

2 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Hi Pete

I think that this was the work of the Flemings, not Fill, though I can’t ascribe which hand it may have been. They were certainly active around that time, possibly based in the Great Haywood area...it’s all long ago now....

Here’s a recently completed can by yours truly, one of the batch of Lesters I acquired recently. Had I known you were looking for an Ash can, I’d have been in touch. Sarah Edgson liked it too. Sorry.

I remember showing Phil a photograph of the 3 Cans and 2 Handbowls I bought for BADSEY and BARNES and he said he had painted them, so on reflection perhaps he painted one or two of these items and my memory is wrong - as you say it was a long time ago, but Fleming's will do for me and co-incidentally I have just acquired a few bits and bobs for them.

If you come across an old but good useable Joseph Ash Can please bare me in mind, you know my resistance is low. Sarah Edgson will provide a safe home for the other Can, and I really do have far too much of this stuff :captain:

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 22:00, dave moore said:

Hi Pete

I have had a confirmation from Jim Fleming that he painted this Can with the exception of the castle, which in common with other works was by his wife Flo - so my apologies to Mr Speight :captain:

On 17/06/2019 at 21:11, dave moore said:

Thanks, Alan.

A highly respected forum member thinks it may well be by Joseph Ash of Birmingham. I’ve painted their stuff previously but have never encountered the copper rivets. The whole thing is a testimony to old time craftsmanship.

Dave

Is it not possible that the copper rivets in the handle mounts are an in-use repair? These rivets take all the load when a full can is hanging on a tap, or is lifted and carried, so would be at risk of working.

Fitting copper rivets as a repair would be easier than renewing steel or iron ones.

N

11 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Is it not possible that the copper rivets in the handle mounts are an in-use repair? These rivets take all the load when a full can is hanging on a tap, or is lifted and carried, so would be at risk of working.

Fitting copper rivets as a repair would be easier than renewing steel or iron ones.

N

I have never hung a Can on a tap whilst it is filling as this would do unnecessary damage to the Can and probably pull the tap from the wall. It is normal practice to either hold the Can under the tap or place it on the ground under the tap :captain:

I’ve had a closer look at the rivets on the Joseph Ash can. I’m fairly certain that they are original rather than repairs. The heads, inside the can, are galvanised over from its original dipping. The wire wheel I used to strip some of the paint off may well have removed that on the domed exteriors.

Dave

4 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I have never hung a Can on a tap whilst it is filling as this would do unnecessary damage to the Can and probably pull the tap from the wall. It is normal practice to either hold the Can under the tap or place it on the ground under the tap :captain:

Photo from A Canal People Longdon / Rolt.

Charlie Carter.jpg

• 3 months later...

With a week to go this handbowl is already risen from £50,00 to £82.15 plus postage at £14.75 (£96.90 in real terms). I will not be bidding but I feel sure this is going to make big money :captain:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Nurser-Canal-Art-Dipper-Hand-Bowl-Narrowboat-Buckby-Can-Barge-Ware/254368196024?hash=item3b3986a5b8:g:9KsAAOSwMyldiJ-D

1.jpg.dd3acf8c189e44c7722a9f1a3e61b4f1.jpg

14 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

With a week to go this handbowl is already risen from £50,00 to £82.15 plus postage at £14.75 (£96.90 in real terms). I will not be bidding but I feel sure this is going to make big money :captain:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Nurser-Canal-Art-Dipper-Hand-Bowl-Narrowboat-Buckby-Can-Barge-Ware/254368196024?hash=item3b3986a5b8:g:9KsAAOSwMyldiJ-D

I bid it up to 80 my limit including postage was 100 but as I bit and was instantly outbid I gave up

4 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

I bid it up to 80 my limit including postage was 100 but as I bit and was instantly outbid I gave up

I do not understand why people bid so early as all this does is push the price up unnecessarily. In my experience all of the serious bidding happens in the last minute or so - and I have every confidence there will be some 'big players' bidding on this item :captain:

On 26/09/2019 at 21:50, pete harrison said:

I do not understand why people bid so early as all this does is push the price up unnecessarily. In my experience all of the serious bidding happens in the last minute or so - and I have every confidence there will be some 'big players' bidding on this item :captain:

Currently £171 with 18 hours to go.

I'm not sure if it was on here that there was a discussion recently as to whether the working boaters used corn scoops, also now referred to as dippers.

NarrowBoat Autumn 2019 has a historical article on Canal Hardware with illustrations of canal equipment from manufacturers and suppliers catalogues and advertisements by Chris M Jones. On page 39 there is a picture of a "Galvanised Boat Bailer" with wood handle and beaded rim, looking remarkably like a corn scoop. Perhaps @Chris Jones could supply the picture please?

On 26/09/2019 at 21:27, pete harrison said:

On 26/09/2019 at 21:50, pete harrison said:

I think this one will probably go absolutely sky high.

Like you, I'm not bidding!

4 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Without going through this whole thread, did anyone mention ROSE Narrowboats which I understand make very good water cans and if you have them painted by Christine, you will have an antique of the future.

They do feature somewhere in this thread. I have two of these Cans, but painted by Dave Moore :captain:

1 minute ago, canalboat said:

Without going through this whole thread, did anyone mention ROSE Narrowboats which I understand make very good water cans and if you have them painted by Christine, you will have an antique of the future.

Yes they have been mentioned, they make similar quality hand bowls.

Decorated by Mr Moore of this parish.

The mini hand bowl is decorated by Gill Hogg.

DSCF3548.JPG

20170803_180822.jpg

On 26/09/2019 at 21:27, pete harrison said:

I have a very similar one which some people have ascribed to Frank Nurser - I am not sure it is but I just enjoy it. It's a bit rougher than the one in Pete's image.

IMG_0013.jpg

• Happy 1

21 hours ago, Ray T said:

Currently £171 with 18 hours to go.

I'm not sure if it was on here that there was a discussion recently as to whether the working boaters used corn scoops, also now referred to as dippers.

NarrowBoat Autumn 2019 has a historical article on Canal Hardware with illustrations of canal equipment from manufacturers and suppliers catalogues and advertisements by Chris M Jones. On page 39 there is a picture of a "Galvanised Boat Bailer" with wood handle and beaded rim, looking remarkably like a corn scoop. Perhaps @Chris Jones could supply the picture please?

Hi, Wrong Chris, am afraid.

On 20/06/2019 at 21:30, pete harrison said:

I believe this Bococks produced 2 gallon Can carries the paintwork of Phil Speight (apart from the lettering ?), and I am pretty sure is from the late 1980's (I bought an identical Can for BADSEY in mid 1988) - unused and advertised on Ebay with a starting price of £30.00 :

679047979_can1.jpg.b8ac41d3d60f9f1374506766aeac0490.jpg1631529483_can2.jpg.cce8aa412e6b2e9a6c5f583e4350faeb.jpg1251608306_can3.jpg.8c1e3cb2d2733f8063be658b52df103b.jpg

I have an old forged windlass stamped with what appears to be Bococks, did they produce them in the past?