Water Cans and Handbowls

pete harrison

Featured Posts

The can at the top is a Bococks type and was painted by Gill Hogg (my ex), not sure as yet who for but she may remember when she sees it.

"Here are a couple of Cans for sale on Ebay, Neither have anything to do with me, but the lower one looks like it was formally owned by Max Sinclair"

The can looks like Dad's can found floating in the canal back in the 60's , I sold it to Lockside antiques.

The can looks like Dad's can found floating in the canal back in the 60's , I sold it to Lockside antiques.

I am astounded that somebody is prepared to pay £300 for it, regardless of who painted it - and especially as the paint is in poor condition and there is a whopping dent under the spout (usually from being clouted under a bridge).

In my opinion it is a shame that a business is going to profit from this Can rather than the family captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

I am astounded that somebody is prepared to pay £300 for it, regardless of who painted it - and especially as the paint is in poor condition and there is a whopping dent under the spout (usually from being clouted under a bridge).

In my opinion it is a shame that a business is going to profit from this Can rather than the family captain.gif

Yes these are staggering prices, although it seems to be a general trend, of course.

It is a real shame that things have gone the way they have, (unless you deal in such stuff!).

Decent examples should ideally be out on the cabins of suitable boats for all to admire, but it gets a bit bloody silly when you have to chain and padlock them on, because they will go "walkies" if you don't.

It seems that much will just end up in expensive homes, rather than ever being seen, (which, if that second can is by Dennis Clarke, as claimed, seems a shame).

Lockside Antiques have quite a nice handbowl for sale at £62.00.

DSC_0272.jpg

I am very tempted so please can somebody else buy it soon as I really do not need another one captain.gif

(I do not know whether this handbowl is galvanised or who painted it - and I have nothing to do with Lockside Antiques apart from being an occasional customer)

edit = add photograph

Edited by pete harrison

The cat scratched you? smile.png.

Yes, an ever growing list - but then I was expecting to put in more than the purchase price as I have a high standard, and it will be nice when its done captain.gif

edit - frustratingly it has taken two months just to get it to the Indy to take a look at it, but got it there briefly today as the road salt was finally gone. It will be going back in early March all being well for the start of improvements.

Edited by pete harrison

Ends soon get your bid in Alan

(I missed what ever its got going for it too)

£410

Linky

Well I guess the magic words are Dennis Clarke! Flamingo has some painting on reused parts in the back cabin credited to him, though to my untrained eye his castles on the table cupboard look incomplete. I'll try to take more care of it if this is what the name can add in value(!)

Shame Flamingo didn't come with the previous Jess Own back doors though - Gawd knows what they might be worth. However the replacements are Ron Hough, so could be worse.

I paid £140 from a commercial seller recently for a Ron Hough painted can, (I would say painted just for sale - not a truly historic boater's item, other than Ron painted it.)

Without being rude I think 3 of my £140 cans would seem a better deal than this one at £410, but clearly someone wanted it very badly.

Edited by alan_fincher

Well at least this is honest!

These have come direct from the factory and are not to the standard we requested as they leak and can only be used as decorative purposes only. This is the only fault with them. Save 50% off the rrp.

At times, I'm asked to suggest a value on old painted items such as this. My usual reply, these days, is " Whatever someone is willing to pay for it" ....there seem to be many enthusiasts prepared to pay considerable sums for this ware, borne out over several years and highlighted by this auction. A good friend of mine, boating in the 60s, recalls paying £5 for a painted watercan by Ron. Now where is my clock reversing lotion...???

I surched and surched for a can as wanted an old one as modern ones are rubbish ended up paying 100 for 2 cans a 2 and 1 galon never liked the 3 galon look far to big +wouldnt fit on my silly little roof bet they thought they were clever when they invented back cabins.

I surched and surched for a can as wanted an old one as modern ones are rubbish ended up paying 100 for 2 cans a 2 and 1 galon never liked the 3 galon look far to big +wouldnt fit on my silly little roof bet they thought they were clever when they invented back cabins.

I have found the opposite - good Water Cans and Handbowls are easy to find, but they have to be second hand and they do not need to be bought at silly prices. I am getting a bit over run with the blooming things now (3 x 2 gallons, 1 x 3 gallon, 2 x Hanbowls - and no boat). All of the items I have bought so far are high quality, both watertight and galvanised (one old can not galvanised) and all are beautifully painted (one repainted for me). It is simply a case of being selective, and obviously no publicising those you are bidding on.

As for size compatibility to a boat, as a general rule a single 'two gallon' can for a motor and 'three gallon' cans for a butty (often two but up to three as this was the main living boat). There is no place for a one gallon can as these are for the tourist trade - and as for a three gallon, a two gallon and a one gallon can graduated downwards on a cabin top no no no no, but each to their own captain.gif

edit = Anyway, here is another Can:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buckby-can/272545854163?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D52eb33df2c2a42779ff5813b7703e5e6%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D232229110837

Edited by pete harrison

I have found the opposite - good Water Cans and Handbowls are easy to find, but they have to be second hand and they do not need to be bought at silly prices. I am getting a bit over run with the blooming things now (3 x 2 gallons, 1 x 3 gallon, 2 x Hanbowls - and no boat). All of the items I have bought so far are high quality, both watertight and galvanised (one old can not galvanised) and all are beautifully painted (one repainted for me). It is simply a case of being selective, and obviously no publicising those you are bidding on.

As for size compatibility to a boat, as a general rule a single 'two gallon' can for a motor and 'three gallon' cans for a butty (often two but up to three as this was the main living boat). There is no place for a one gallon can as these are for the tourist trade - and as for a three gallon, a two gallon and a one gallon can graduated downwards on a cabin top no no no no, but each to their own captain.gif

edit = Anyway, here is another Can:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buckby-can/272545854163?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D52eb33df2c2a42779ff5813b7703e5e6%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D232229110837

Not even inside the cabin?

I have a nice little one and someone said 'that'll make a nice cabin can' as if that was a known thing - and indeed it is very useful as such.

Edited by Chertsey

I have a nice little one and someone said 'that'll make a nice cabin can' as if that was a known thing - and indeed it is very useful as such.

Why would anybody want a Can taking up space inside the cabin when there are Cans on the cabin top ! I have certainly never heard of a 'Cabin Can', and the only time I have put a Can in the cabin is when I have left the boats laid up or during the coldest nights of winter to stop them from freezing.

Small Cans of 1 gallon or less were / are produced for the tourist trade, but each to their own and if somebody wants to use these Cans inside the cabin then that is up to them captain.gif

Modern assumption. Nowher have I ever seen such a thing or heard reference to it. Small cans were on sale in the early 60's at Braunston but were aimed at the tourist trade, a few turn up on ebay and make nice collectors items being painted by genuine hands.

Hopefully not all modern ones:

32701115336_ae7a7b2076_b.jpg

Whether they are economically viable or not is another matter though.

As for small cans, we've got one not much bigger than billy can that has some considerable age - quite easily 100 years in the opinion of those qualified to comment. As for it's original purpose though, I have no idea.

Anthony

Hopefully not all modern ones:

32701115336_ae7a7b2076_b.jpg

Whether they are economically viable or not is another matter though.

As for small cans, we've got one not much bigger than billy can that has some considerable age - quite easily 100 years in the opinion of those qualified to comment. As for it's original purpose though, I have no idea.

Anthony

A very nice can Anthony The decoration looks like Ron's work, but the daisys are not quite right. is it Ron's or a competent copy?

Edited by David Schweizer