BCN Challenge details released.

Dave_P

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I was thinking Perry Barr flight rather than Windmill End.

Oh you mean after the following boats drained the pound thus putting us on the bottom? Yes, you are correct. But it was not by our choice!

This is Dotterel's route:-

Newton Junction, Thame Valley Junction, Walsall Junction, Walsall Town And Return, Walsall Junction, Birchills Junction, Pelsall Junction, Cannock extension, Catshill Junction, Anglsey Basin And Return, Newton Junction (6 hour stop below Rushall Locks), Salford Junction, Ashton Junction, Old Turn, Sandy Turn, Winson Green Junction, Smethwick Junction, Bromford Junction, Spon Lane Junction, Oldbury Junction, Oldbury Top Lock.

This was the 3rd time we have entered but the first time we actually cruised for the full 24 hours. 

So in first year we were 27th, the second year we were 23rd and this year 8th.

Perhaps next year we can emulate our sister ship (I know it's a boat really) Tawny Owl.

We loved it.

Cheers Graham

• Greenie 1

Team Beau meagre route:

Hockley Port Junction - Smethwick Junction - Smethwick Locks - Engine Arm and return - Spon Lane Junction - Tividale Quays - Factory Junction and Locks - Dudley Port Junction - Windmill End - Hawne Basin and return - Dudley Port Junction - Spon Lane locks and junction - Titford Locks - Both pools and back to the pump house.

I promise to try harder next year.

4 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Team Beau meagre route:

Hockley Port Junction - Smethwick Junction - Smethwick Locks - Engine Arm and return - Spon Lane Junction - Tividale Quays - Factory Junction and Locks - Dudley Port Junction - Windmill End - Hawne Basin and return - Dudley Port Junction - Spon Lane locks and junction - Titford Locks - Both pools and back to the pump house.

I promise to try harder next year.

Perhaps try a section that is not 1x multiplier next year :D

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

Perhaps try a section that is not 1x multiplier next year :D

Good plan.  That would involve checking what the section scores are first though.

1 minute ago, Dave_P said:

Good plan.  That would involve checking what the section scores are first though.

Maybe I'll have a crack at the Lapal tunnel next year.

54 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Can't wait to see Clarrie's route :)

Something like Tipton - Oldbury Junction - Titford Canal Navigation Winding Hole - Oldbury Top Lock.

You score 15 points for arriving at the finish by 1400 and another 5 for handing in the log by 1410.

Quite how you score 13.05 I don't know. Many hire boaters just passing through Brum for the weekend would have beaten that score if they had entered.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Are they going to be named and shamed or is everyone too polite?

The boats were Helen and Tramp. Helen is of course the boat of John Dodwell so maybe you can report him to Richard Parry.

They are listed on the score sheet as 'Took Part' but Dave_P didn't copy that bit. No shaming to be done; that's really not necessary and not in the spirit of the event.

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I didn't realise you had one!

Good reason not to expend what I do have on minor canal boating incidents. Or to prove it by calling people arseholes.

JP

8 hours ago, john6767 said:

They were 2 boats together going VERY slowly would not let us past.

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hmmm sounds like deliberate spoiling behaviour. Were they definitely in the challenge and not random leisure boats?

I hear the occasional boater voice feirce opposition to the BCN Challenge, saying it should be stopped as loads of boaters race around stirring up a load of crap from the bottom to snag the blades of passing boaters for the next three months. Maybe they were people holding this POV and decided this year to try to do something about it...

Just a possibility.

If one of the boats in question is indeed the Helen, then doing something that spoilt the challenge for other participants would surely be a very odd thing for a CRT trustee to get involved in?

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

If one of the boats in question is indeed the Helen, then doing something that spoilt the challenge for other participants would surely be a very odd thing for a CRT trustee to get involved in?

It might just be accidental, so full of his own importance that he was not aware of the negative effect he had upon others boaters, perfect qualifications for an IWA man and CaRT trustee I would say.

...............Dave

41 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

You would of course need to ask the person concerned why they behaved in that way.  Their accompanying boat was actually far worse, and he was extremely rude to us when we dared to ask if they would let us past them whilst they were stopped.  For me the BCN Challenge rules are clear in that you let faster boats past.

It is doubly annoying if they actually chose not to hand in their sheet at the end as to why they would hinder someone who was actually trying to get a good score.

6 hours ago, Kustomcut said:

Hi All,

Not had chance to get on here since the challenge that seems an age ago.

Yet again Great Fun and managed the full 24 hours straight through.

To those who shared a beer I hope you enjoyed, I will comment re about one Boat who we saw on the way out Sunday who were looking for 4 litres of beer (for an online donation)

You had 2 litres but no donation has been forthcoming as of yet so a little shocked at that, just incase you have lost the link to donate I have added it at the bottom ;)

We really put our all in this year but just couldn't quite get their here is our route below on what photo/quiz points we managed.

I did leave on Sunday about 2pm as I had to get the Boat back to Lady Lane on the Stratford Canal and managed that route straight through on top of the 24 hours so I was basically awake from Sat 7am through till Sunday midnight.

Although I didn't feel the best come Tuesday :)

Great to meet you all and loved it again, for the next 12 months I may see some of you about on the network if so give us a holler, we may even have beer on board.

For any that wish to donate check out the just giving page at the bottom.

Finally Congrats to Team Tawny Owl, great score.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/BCNS2017

Section         All mileages to the nearest Half Mile Miles Locks Bonus Factor  Points
1 Tame Valley Junction to Pudding Green Junction 2.5 8 2 21
2 Walsall Junction to Tame Valley Junction (Ocker Hill) 5.5 0 3 16.5
3 Walsall Town Arm and return 0.5 0 2 1
4 Birchills Junction to Walsall Junction 1 8 2 18
5 Birchills Junction to Pelsall Junction 4.5 0 2 9
6 Cannock Extension Canal UP to Grove Colliery Basins ONLY and return 2 0 2 4
7 Pelsall Junction to Catshill Junction 2.5 0 2 5
8 Catshill Junction to Anglesey Basin and return 5 0 2 10
9 Catshill Junction to Newton (Rushall) Junction 8 9 2 34
10 Newton Junction to Salford Junction 5 13 2 36
11 Aston Junction to Salford Junction (either route) 1.5 11 1 12.5
12 Old Turn to Aston Junction  1.5 13 1 14.5
13 Old Turn to Sandy Turn via Ladywood Junction  0.5 0 1 0.5
14 Sandy Turn to Winson Green Junction(any route) 1 0 1 1
15 Winson Green Junction to Smethwick Junction 1 0 1 1
16 Smethwick Junction to Engine Arm Junction 0.5 3 1 3.5
17 Engine Arm Junction to Spon Lane Junction 1.5 0 1 1.5
18 Spon Lane Junction to Bromford Junction (via Spon Lane Locks) 0.5 3 2 7
19 Bromford Junction to Pudding Green Junction 0.5 0 1 0.5
20 Pudding Green Junction to Albion Junction 0.5 0 1 0.5
21 Albion Junction to Dudley Port Junction 0.5 0 1 0.5
22 Dudley Port Junction to Factory Junction via Factory Locks 1.5 3 1 4.5
23 Brades Hall Junction to Factory Junction 2.5 0 1 2.5
24 Oldbury Locks Junction to Brades Hall Junction 1 0 1 1
25 Oldbury Locks Junction to Oldbury Top Lock 0.5 6 2 13
26 Oldbury Top Lock to Navigation Winding Hole and Return 2 0 2 4
  PHOTOGRAPH OPPORTUNITIES POINTS      
Main Line        
Aldersley Junction  2      
Soho Loop        
Hockley Port entrance bridge 2      
Icknield Port Loop        
Icknield Port Workshops 2      
Old Main Line        
Tividale Quays  2      
Titford Pools        
both pools 3      
Cannock Extension        
Grove Colliery Basins (Entrance only) 1      
Walsall Canal        
Walsall Art Gallery 1      
Wednesbury Old Canal        
If you wish to walk to and photograph the winding hole you will be awarded 5 points -DO NOT CROSS THE ROAD 5      
Birmingham and Fazeley Canal        
Fazeley Junction 2      
Grand Union Link        
Bordesley Junction 2      

Quiz        
  Castshill 3      
  Birchills  3      
  Anglesey  4      
  Pudding Green 5      
  Tame Valley 4      
  Salford 3      
  Rushall  4      
  Digbeth  4      

Majorly Concerned no one commented on the beer????

All fighting talk and disqualification talk.....

Sorry for a huge post couldn't figure out how to quote just the top paragraph  

3 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Did many folk get the picture at the end of the Wednesbury Old Canal?

Richard

We did what the clue said, but I don't know if we got the points for it. It did not actually say at the end of the Wednesbury Old Canal, don't have to hand the exact wording. 

Just now, john6767 said:

We did what the clue said, but I don't know if we got the points for it. It did not actually say at the end of the Wednesbury Old Canal, don't have to hand the exact wording. 

It depends which set you worked to. One end implied 'the navigable limit' which would be practically the junction. The other set said the end i.e. where the winding hole is

Richard

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

Yes - I sent a runner while Rob and I set about Ryders Green locks.

We kicked Smudge off at Great Bridge Bridge

Richard

Just now, RLWP said:

It depends which set you worked to. One end implied 'the navigable limit' which would be practically the junction. The other set said the end i.e. where the winding hole is

Richard

We used the one from the sealed envelope.  Yes, "navigable limit" was what it said, so we interpreted that as the junction.

Just now, john6767 said:

We used the one from the sealed envelope.  Yes, "navigable limit" was what it said, so we interpreted that as the junction.

That's where you lost

Richard

11 minutes ago, Kustomcut said:

Majorly Concerned no one commented on the beer????

All fighting talk and disqualification talk.....

Sorry for a huge post couldn't figure out how to quote just the top paragraph  

You have listed photo bonus points for Fazeley and Aldersley Junctions but you didn't go there. Is a stewards enquiry necessary?

I enjoyed the very small amount of beer I got. Would have been nice if the crew had got me a glassful as I was stuck in the boat below the lock. I would have contributed my fair share to the charity pot too.

JP

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

So what was the correct location?

The far end. My team went off into a huddle, dissected the two sheets then came back declaring the answer to be the far end. I can ask John Carrington if you want

Just now, matty40s said:

The beer was EXCELLENT and much needed by the time we met you on Saturday Evening.

The melon and cucumber was interesting!!

There were six pipes on the bridge, Matty