BCN Challenge details released.

Dave_P

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Dave_P said:

I'm feeling surprisingly chipper considering the amount of imbibing yesterday. Drank my own boat dry. Then went to Ma Pardoes. Then to the offy!

i must take this challenge seriously one year. 

IMG_4014.JPG

Tsk ... moderators .... hurtling up Ryder's Green at Tawny warp factor .25

Well we were coming to cheer home the finishers. Set off from Stoke in our van, which suddenly developed an ominous rumbling which Dave thinks could be the wheel bearings so we had to abort and come home.

Very disappointed :(

4 hours ago, Ange said:

Well we were coming to cheer home the finishers. Set off from Stoke in our van, which suddenly developed an ominous rumbling which Dave thinks could be the wheel bearings so we had to abort and come home.

Very disappointed :(

I just realised you were not here, sorry to hear you had car troubles.

1 hour ago, Ange said:

Thanks John.

I didn't know you was coming, ,but there again,  I didn't know I was either.:lol:

Thanks to the Tawny Owl team for putting up with me for the weekend, brilliant time, and I hope we did alright.

Big thanks to Kathleenbridget:wub:for arranging my surprise attendance , can't believe you all knew and I was unaware.

Flushing out can gain 10- 20 seconds a lock for Robert the Greeks (:lol:) spreadsheet.

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

20170528_141151_zpsmxq7xi6q.jpg

Barney says , 19 boats and a lunchbox plus learning to swim was a brill BCN challenge

Narrowboat Tatty Lucy says sorry about the impromptu swimming lesson!

And Lily says she hopes Barney is being well cared for and has now dried out having thrown a tantrum when we had to pass him on................ twice!

Edited by Tom and Bex

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Any results yet?

It will be a while before the results come out as you have a week to submit the photos, so pos two weeks before results.

Got soaked on our way into central Birmingham, or at lest I did, Sally hid inside and I don't blame her.  Seems to be brightening up a bit now, typical bank holiday weather.

Oh so you have to submit photographic evidence now? Sign of the times I suppose.

Anyway while you were enjoying yourself in the rain I was grovelling about under the gliding club's Robin towplane, fixing a sheared bolt which attaches the nose undercarriage to the wooden airframe. I now smell of dirty oil and AVGAS so I would have happily swapped with you!

28 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Oh so you have to submit photographic evidence now? Sign of the times I suppose.

Anyway while you were enjoying yourself in the rain I was grovelling about under the gliding club's Robin towplane, fixing a sheared bolt which attaches the nose undercarriage to the wooden airframe. I now smell of dirty oil and AVGAS so I would have happily swapped with you!

Only for the "photo opportunities". It does delay the results as of course they still allow for the old school people wo have real photos and send them in by post, rather than emailing images.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Got soaked on our way into central Birmingham, or at lest I did, Sally hid inside and I don't blame her.

I recall travelling down the Ashby and along the Cov to Hartshill Works in a real downpour. Patti kept offering me fresh coffee but my mug on the hatch wasn't emptying (although it was somewhat cold and weak). ;)

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

You don't need any photos for the main canal routes in general. The photo thing complements the 'treasure hunt' questions and encourages intrepid boating. Photo sites include things like Holly Bank Basin, Typhoo Basin, Tividale Quays etc. This year the bonus photo points got me into both Titford Pools for the first time, much to the surprise and concern of the locals. 

Back home now, thanks to Captain Pegg for the opportunity to leg through Dudley Tunnel. I thought it was one of those once in a lifetime moments but he did mention maybe doing it again in the future without any substitutes.

5 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Back home now, thanks to Captain Pegg for the opportunity to leg through Dudley Tunnel. I thought it was one of those once in a lifetime moments but he did mention maybe doing it again in the future without any substitutes.

Any photos? Having butted up against the gauge at the Parkhead end in Telemachus (which is not a tall boat) I'm amazed that ANY boat with a cabin could get through. Was it a tight squeeze?

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Any photos? Having butted up against the gauge at the Parkhead end in Telemachus (which is not a tall boat) I'm amazed that ANY boat with a cabin could get through. Was it a tight squeeze?

I need to sort photos out, there will be some maybe tomorrow.  We had a comfortable amount of clearance but Vulpes has quite can narrow cabin top.

"Passengers for Alvechurch should change at Bournville"

A neat move was performed by Rob-M jumping off Vulpes and on to Goosander.

I am at Hockley Heath next to Misbourne, Maxwell is at Shirley, Dotterel somewhere in between. Tawny Owl and Red Wharf are missing in action.

JP