BCN Challenge details released.

Dave_P

Featured Posts

51 minutes ago, john6767 said:

We have just arrived in Birmingham, watched by 2 policemen with machine guns outside the Barclaycard Arena, sad sign of the times.  

Moored on the Oozells St loop, currently room for one more, space both sides of the Main Line.

Better see if we can sneak in quietly if we arrive around midnight.

There  is a huge presence of police, heavily armed police and security people in Birmingham and its interesting that there are usually two pairs of armed police along the canal, more than on New Street. Is the canal seen as a potential target t or is it just a nice place for the police to be on a hot day? I assume the police presence is mostly to reassure and deter so it probably doesn't matter that much where they are. If I was an armed copper, dressed in black, wearing a rucksack and carrying two guns I think I would head for the canal.

............Dave

21 minutes ago, dmr said:

There  is a huge presence of police, heavily armed police and security people in Birmingham and its interesting that there are usually two pairs of armed police along the canal, more than on New Street. Is the canal seen as a potential target t or is it just a nice place for the police to be on a hot day? I assume the police presence is mostly to reassure and deter so it probably doesn't matter that much where they are. If I was an armed copper, dressed in black, wearing a rucksack and carrying two guns I think I would head for the canal.

............Dave

I assumed the heavy presence was because of the Barclaycard Arena and the ICC, not the canal!   I do find it reassuring, if a bit surreal.

57 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I assumed the heavy presence was because of the Barclaycard Arena and the ICC, not the canal!   I do find it reassuring, if a bit surreal.

Yes, one pair usually at the Arena and one pair at the ICC, though right now there are five outside the Arena. I was searched going through the ICC this morning. Interesting that some are approaching people and saying hello, as you say, its all a bit surreal.

Another possibility is that they are here to ensure no cheating in the BCN challenge.

...................Dave

17 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yes, one pair usually at the Arena and one pair at the ICC, though right now there are five outside the Arena. I was searched going through the ICC this morning. Interesting that some are approaching people and saying hello, as you say, its all a bit surreal.

Another possibility is that they are here to ensure no cheating in the BCN challenge.

...................Dave

They should watch Old Turn Junction at 8:00am on Saturday to make sure there isn't a repeat of last year when there was an attempt to get a jump start on us.

Hi All,

for those up Birmingham central can you advise is the shower working at the services by NIA Barclaycard arena (ones by farmers bridge top lock)

Little plastic boat has no shower and very little room with all the beer

6 hours ago, dmr said:

............Dave

Perhaps they think Laurie is coming in his tank?  :P

11 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Ok forum, recommendations for an Indian on Broad street or thereabouts.   Does not need to be too fancy.

We have been known to visit the Celebration (or something like that) on Broad Street. 

haggis

1 hour ago, Kustomcut said:

Hi All,

for those up Birmingham central can you advise is the shower working at the services by NIA Barclaycard arena (ones by farmers bridge top lock)

The shower works but you need someone outside to make sure no one uses the water point. There are consequences.

48 minutes ago, haggis said:

We have been known to visit the Celebration (or something like that) on Broad Street. 

haggis

Chears for that, we have been putting the world to rights and going to find food!

Yes Indigo Dream is joining the fun this year but with a crew of just 4 greyhounds all of whom have been specially training all year to wear harnesses and tow the boat. Works well until the batteries run out in the rabbit or there are moored boats around.

Seeing that we have such hard working hounds on board we doing a Darren and also fundraising, our page has only just been setup, hopefully works: https://www.justgiving.com/teams/IndigoDream

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Ok forum, recommendations for an Indian on Broad street or thereabouts.   Does not need to be too fancy.

Best one on Broad Street is Pushkar

1 hour ago, Little Else said:

The shower works but you need someone outside to make sure no one uses the water point. There are consequences.

The shower round at Holliday Wharf is much nicer. Worth the walk. 

1 hour ago, Dave_P said:

Best one on Broad Street is Pushkar

The shower round at Holliday Wharf is much nicer. Worth the walk. 

Holiday Wharf?

That by back of mailbox?

Thanks Indigo Dream for donation we will be supporting and seeing you guys on route

5 hours ago, Kustomcut said:

Hi All,

Cambrian Wharf shower is out of order, don't know about Holiday Wharf.

8 hours ago, Dave_P said:

Celebrity Indian Restaurant could be described as cheap and (fairly) cheerful. 

For something new, the Fiddle & Bone is now The Distillery and the food is rather good. 

We ended up in Celebrity having checked the menus online, it was much cheaper than Pushkar, which also looked a little posh For the way we were dressed.  Food was fine in Celebrity.

6 hours ago, Kustomcut said:

Holiday Wharf?

That by back of mailbox?

Thanks Indigo Dream for donation we will be supporting and seeing you guys on route

Yes. Opposite the cube