BCN Challenge details released.

Dave_P

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

I seems to change so often it does not give you a lot of confidence that they have a good plan here.  Let's hope they just stick with this and get the work done.

Surely it is because they are at the mercy of Network Rail who are undertaking the work.

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Surely it is because they are at the mercy of Network Rail who are undertaking the work.

Yes it is Network Rail or their contractors, but how professionals can be so disorganised on a job that they have been working for 3 months seems strange.  Hopefully CRT have got them under penalty for the overrun of the work.

• 2 weeks later...

Crew sorted although they need some training lock wheeling.

Charity for the year sorted (see Link) https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/BCNS2017

This year something different on board Carpe Vinum, I started all grain brewing and blending spirits last year, So I am going to setup a mini bar on a mini boat, hopefully with 5 x 19 litre kegs of all grain beer, each one will be on tap so we will literally be a floating bar.

So far the beer list includes the following

Blueberry Double IPA (from a brewdog clone recipe) come out nicely around 7.5%

Passion Fruit IPA around 6.4%

summer single hop ale 3.8 %

More to add just deciding what else to brew, I have managed to clone the renowned PUNK IPA from Brewdog, a very hoppy beer so may do that too 5.7%

Plus on the spirits side anything from Spiced Rum,Bourbon, Brandy, Flavoured Vodkas, Gin, Schnapps, Sambuca and more.

Now obviously I cannot sell this for even charity purposes as Mr Inland Revenue would be after me like a shot.

However if anyone is interested I will be handing out samples of the above on the day, if you feel obliged then a donation to the above charity would be appreciated and welcomed.

So as our theme is pirates, don't forget to shout out to the grog boat as we pass and good luck to all and lets have a great weekend.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Kustomcut said:

Charity for the year sorted (see Link) https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/BCNS2017

This year something different on board Carpe Vinum, I started all grain brewing and blending spirits last year, So I am going to setup a mini bar on a mini boat, hopefully with 5 x 19 litre kegs of all grain beer, each one will be on tap so we will literally be a floating bar.

More to add just deciding what else to brew, I have managed to clone the renowned PUNK IPA from Brewdog, a very hoppy beer so may do that too 5.7%

Plus on the spirits side anything from Spiced Rum,Bourbon, Brandy, Flavoured Vodkas, Gin, Schnapps, Sambuca and more.

Now obviously I cannot sell this for even charity purposes as Mr Inland Revenue would be after me like a shot.

However if anyone is interested I will be handing out samples of the above on the day, if you feel obliged then a donation to the above charity would be appreciated and welcomed.

So as our theme is pirates, don't forget to shout out to the grog boat as we pass and good luck to all and lets have a great weekend.

With all that on board you will be falling asleep even earlier this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Rob-M said:

I see Team Tawny Owl have their picture in Waterways World, captioned as an Anglo Welsh boat. The article states they want 50 boats to take part this year.

Nice to see the press on a ball as usual!  The 50 boats is true though, the BCNS have stated that as it is the "50th anniversary".

• 2 weeks later...

I have just noticed on the CRT website that the stoppage at Pinfold Bridge on the Wyrley & Essington was extended last week until 0800 on Saturday 27th May!

Haven't received an e-mail from the BCNS about this or seen any other mention.

Is Pratt's Mill Aqueduct now open to navigation again?

JP

23 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I have just noticed on the CRT website that the stoppage at Pinfold Bridge on the Wyrley & Essington was extended last week until 0800 on Saturday 27th May!

Haven't received an e-mail from the BCNS about this or seen any other mention.

Is Pratt's Mill Aqueduct now open to navigation again?

JP

Worrying.  What if it's delayed further?  I'd guess at least half of the challenge boats would expect to go that way at some point?

2 hours ago, Dave_P said:

Worrying.  What if it's delayed further?  I'd guess at least half of the challenge boats would expect to go that way at some point?

Yes it is concerning that there have the challenge start time as the completion time, hopefully it will be done well before then.

3 hours ago, Dave_P said:

Hopefully the agreement is that no matter what the navigation will open at 0800 on 27th and if needs be there will be another stoppage commencing 1400 on 28th.

JP

5 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Hopefully the agreement is that no matter what the navigation will open at 0800 on 27th and if needs be there will be another stoppage commencing 1400 on 28th.

JP

Still buggers up my starting position plans though...

The sealed envelope has just landed on the doormat!

:)

ETA OK, what I meant to say is the envelope containing the 'sealed envelope' has just arrived in the post. I've opened the former but will resist the urge to open the latter until "8am on the Saturday morning of the cruise" like wot it sez on the seal.

Edited by Victor Vectis

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 15:22, Kustomcut said:

If you need an extra pair of hands to work the locks I don't mind.

You can pay me in Punk IPA !

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

Yes ours has come today as well.  Interesting that is says 8am on the envelope, as the rules for this year say you can open it at 7:55am.  I have sent an email to clarify!

and the reply from John Carrington is

Well spotted  7.55am will do

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 14:32, Dave Payne said:

If you need an extra pair of hands to work the locks I don't mind.

You can pay me in Punk IPA !

First 3 barrels racked last night

Brewdog CLone Jackhammer (watered down a little by mistake) so not the 7.2%

Brewdog Clone Sonja Blueberry IPA

Totally Tropical Pale Ale (yes it smells like lilt)

Plus a dozen bottles of Brewdog B SIdes Clone Melon & Cucumber IPA

I will also this weekend be doing an imperial stout and hopefully another batch of PUNK so holler me on challenge.

Oh and Vodka, Bourbon, Schnapps, Brandy Etc

All available for a "donation" to our just giving page.

And fingers crossed will be there early sleeping before all arrive as I plan to boat straight through again.

Now to just figure out where to store all the barrels and CO2 bottle, strapped to my front pulpit rail maybe lol

30 minutes ago, Kustomcut said:

First 3 barrels racked last night

Brewdog CLone Jackhammer (watered down a little by mistake) so not the 7.2%

Brewdog Clone Sonja Blueberry IPA

Totally Tropical Pale Ale (yes it smells like lilt)

Plus a dozen bottles of Brewdog B SIdes Clone Melon & Cucumber IPA

I will also this weekend be doing an imperial stout and hopefully another batch of PUNK so holler me on challenge.

Oh and Vodka, Bourbon, Schnapps, Brandy Etc

All available for a "donation" to our just giving page.

And fingers crossed will be there early sleeping before all arrive as I plan to boat straight through again.

Now to just figure out where to store all the barrels and CO2 bottle, strapped to my front pulpit rail maybe lol

Can you publish your route please?  I'd be interested in trailing you!

• 2 weeks later...

Another spanner in the works is the closure of the Gower Branch from May 22nd until 16th June!! Could do with this being postponed a week. Serious points on this section.:angry:

is Pinfold Bridge actually going to open on time? Based on past performance ....