BCN Challenge details released.

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I sent our form in a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully the max of 50 boats will be reached for this special year.

Dotterel is signed up - the first entry apparently!! The route planner had some interesting sections with the score 'variable'!!

Cheers Graham

You have had the route planing information, not seen anything yet :(

Right, got to get my form done and in, then.

First time doing the challenge on my own boat, which is quite exciting.

It's part of our honeymoon cruise, so it'll have to be seen whether that was a good idea or not....

Ditto.

The own boat bit, not the honeymoon bit. Who needs Venice when you have the BCN Challenge?

l

Take care of her new paint!

Richard

I think I'll avoid Gosty Hill this year.

I sent our form in a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully the max of 50 boats will be reached for this special year.

You have had the route planing information, not seen anything yet sad.png

I had to wait a month and half after applying for the rules to come back! Although, to be fair, I applied before they had finished the rules.

Cheers Graham

I posted my entry last weekend and Dudley Canal Trust have confirmed I am booked in for a legged passage of Dudley Tunnel. Just got to hope the boat fits through the gauge the day before.

We may beat Clarrie but won't be in the running for top placings. Dudley Tunnel doesn't score half as many points as it should.

JP

ETA - just checked my mail and I have the route planner too.

Edited by Captain Pegg

I think I'll avoid Gosty Hill this year.

I had to wait a month and half after applying for the rules to come back! Although, to be fair, I applied before they had finished the rules.

Cheers Graham

I pinged John Carrington, and he confirmed they have my form and sent me the planning info. Guess what I am doing tonight :)

Dotterel is signed up - the first entry apparently!! The route planner had some interesting sections with the score 'variable'!!

Cheers Graham

Now you've got me worried - I signed up months ago, and they cleared my cheque. Better check with the organiser.

• 3 weeks later...

A little threat to route planning has occurred.

I am sorry to report that the current Network Rail stoppage at Pratts Mill Aqueduct along the Wyrley & Essington Canal is going to be further extended till probably the End of May 2017.

This is due primarily to further extensive defects that have been revealed following the blast survey of the aqueduct’s metal trough recently completed.

We are due have a meeting with Network Rail and their contractors on Thursday 16 February 2017 to discuss their programme and the current situation of the works.

I know this is not ideal, but we are all making every effort to ensure the works are completed and the canal to be reopened as soon as possible.

If you require any further details, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards
Osi Ivowi MSc (Civil) CEng MICE
Regional Manager South
Infrastructure Services Team
Cheers Graham

A little threat to route planning has occurred.

I am sorry to report that the current Network Rail stoppage at Pratts Mill Aqueduct along the Wyrley & Essington Canal is going to be further extended till probably the End of May 2017.

This is due primarily to further extensive defects that have been revealed following the blast survey of the aqueduct’s metal trough recently completed.

We are due have a meeting with Network Rail and their contractors on Thursday 16 February 2017 to discuss their programme and the current situation of the works.

I know this is not ideal, but we are all making every effort to ensure the works are completed and the canal to be reopened as soon as possible.

If you require any further details, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards
Osi Ivowi MSc (Civil) CEng MICE
Regional Manager South
Infrastructure Services Team
Cheers Graham

I think that will make the challenge more interesting, and ensure more boats use the Walsall Canal. In terms of the underlying aims of the challenge, this is a Good Thing

Richard

I think that will make the challenge more interesting, and ensure more boats use the Walsall Canal. In terms of the underlying aims of the challenge, this is a Good Thing

Richard

It could result in folk just avoiding the northern BCN altogether as it cuts out Anglesey and Norton Canes unless you go out and back via Rushall which would be a bit of a long trek. On balance I would have thought it better open.

It will certainly change my well laid plans.

JP

It could result in folk just avoiding the northern BCN altogether as it cuts out Anglesey and Norton Canes unless you go out and back via Rushall which would be a bit of a long trek. On balance I would have thought it better open.

It will certainly change my well laid plans.

JP

If it really is not open by the Challenge, it does make it hard to take in any of the northern parts unless the points scoring was updated to make the W&E and Rushall 2 way scoring.

I notice the stoppage which was due to end last Sunday has not been updated, so you could be excused for thinking that it is open now. If they have suddenly discovered days before it was due to be open, after being closed for 3 months already, that it needs a further 3 months work that seems to be rather poor planning.

Hopefully it can be open by the Challenge and Explorer Cruise earlier in May.

I see on the duck that regular BCN Challengers Diesel & Dust is up for sale. Nice boat and nice price. Guess they won't be taking part this year?

Boat might be up for sale but doesn't mean were not taking part! Wouldn't miss the Challenge for anything, it's our favourite event of the year!

Off topic - Unfortunately we've decided that Diesel & Dust no longer suits our requirements and makes it hard to spend time together as a family when cruising, as our 1 year old daughter hates sitting on the roof with us. We've just had our offer accepted on a 69ft cruiser stern ex-hire boat so with any luck will be taking part on that this year! Might start new thread to avoid going any further off topic, but if anyone's interested were open to cash offers (for a limited time) that's higher than we've been offered by a broker.

Back on topic, this stoppage will certainly change our plan, and probably starting position if it's not open by the challenge. Wonder if they will change the scoring at all if not open? Hopefully it will be by then. Is this the stoppage that has already been extended once, or am I imagining it?

Tom

Update from

BCNS:

Further to above message from CRT this has now arrived from them - I would like to confirm that we are in constant dialogue with Network Rail and its Contractors regarding the above-mentioned works.

As stated below, we are due to meet with Network Rail on Thursday (16/02/2017) to review their proposed programme of repairs with our goal being to secure the opening of the Canal to navigation as soon as possible, and will strongly resist Network Rails request to extend the stoppage until the end of May.

I will give you a further update on Friday following the meeting with Network Rail.

From the canal that aqueduct looks like this (image from canalplan)

2jfk_0.jpg

from the railway it is quite surprising to me at least (image captured from google streetview)

post-8749-0-39016300-1487156455_thumb.jpg

The towpath is to this side then there is the metal trough with the canal in it, I was expecting it to be stone construction.

If it really is not open by the Challenge, it does make it hard to take in any of the northern parts unless the points scoring was updated to make the W&E and Rushall 2 way scoring.

I suspect that the scoring would be amended but I think it would take more than that to entice me up there and back the same way.

I have prepared an alternative route in case it is needed but my planned stop at the Manor Arms has bitten the dust. I don't have too many options of where to start.

JP