BCN Challenge details released.

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Thanks for your replies - I look forward to receiving the guide and to start planning the campaign. The scrum for the locks at the end should be interesting!

Im going to enploy a hire boat to go up behind me.

I wonder if one day, the challenge will go digital and all entrants will be given a tracker to carry with them. Then the BCNS can work out the winners automatically. No cheating possible. Would only record from 8.00am on the saturday. Each tracker would be calibrated with the boat length and crew size.

A smartphone app, I guess. And it could flash alerts to say "you're going over 4mph and will be disqualified"...

No, no, and thrice no!

The BCN Challenge is a real 'old school' style event.

Whats wrong with paper and a biro? ..............

............... Apart from when it's been raining cats and dogs for the past 24 hours < cue Alan F's picture of Cath >, it's dark, the paper you are trying to write on has disintegrated, the pen won't work etc etc.

smile.png

See you in May?

A smartphone app, I guess. And it could flash alerts to say "you're going over 4mph and will be disqualified"...

And you'd be able to see everyone else's positions?

No, no, and thrice no!

............... Apart from when it's been raining cats and dogs for the past 24 hours < cue Alan F's picture of Cath >, it's dark, the paper you are trying to write on has disintegrated, the pen won't work etc etc.

smile.png

See you in May?

I suppose so, but the twittering thingy managed by Starcoaster has added an extra fun element for me.

No, no, and thrice no!

smile.png

See you in May?

And once more no,

Filling the log in is a challenge itself and opening the secret envelope is all part of the fun

I have never considered anyone would cheat

And not knowing the route or where abouts of others adds to the excitement

See you in may

No, no, and thrice no!

smile.png

See you in May?

My biros never work.

To clarify, I should state that this wasn't a dastardly NBT plot to delay other contestants, just that we were first to reach the locks in the morning and we encountered a low pound which meant we had to let water down most of the flight. We also had to use the keb to get some debris out from behind one or two gates. Purely so that we could get through rather than out of any deep concern for the queue building up behind us, if I'm honest...

The situation was in fact a side effect of our plan for using our six hour break. We stopped at Walsall quite early, 8:20 if I remember correctly, to go to the pub, then it became clear that four of us were keen to make an early start knowing we wouldn't reach a lock until after dawn, and four wanted to spend longer in the pub. So our four went back to the boats to sleep while the others came back later and had a bit of a lie-in. The trouble with this approach was that the pub group woke the others up a bit when they arrived, then the early risers disturbed them at 2:30am, so no-one got a great night's kip.

I would never have thought such a thing of the NBT but you know the more you plead innocence Peter, the more I start to wonder...

?

Edited by Captain Pegg

• 2 months later...

How many boats generally take part in this event?

We pick up our boat at the end of the month and are keen to take part. Will be pouring over the previous years threads in the hope of picking up some tips for newbies :)

Excellent, thank you. I'm quite excited already and getting the maps out smile.png

The challenge is lots of fun, sometimes in retrospect...

Do enter, take it on as an experience, if you want to be competitive plan hard, include some flexibility and don't be overambitious

The more boats, the more fun it is!

Richard

The challenge is lots of fun, sometimes in retrospect...

Do enter, take it on as an experience, if you want to be competitive plan hard, include some flexibility and don't be overambitious

The more boats, the more fun it is!

Richard

All tips duly noted, thank you.

We just need to synchronise our diaries - himself is currently in Tasmania, I'm in Kent and boat is in Nuneaton, yet to be collected. When he gets back, he returns to work in Shetland!

We're going to be weekend boaters, but have done the BCN a fair few times as hirers. This sort of quizzy type planning event is right up our street - the planning it takes to actually see each other sometimes can be a bit of a challenge in itself :)

Been stuck in a loophole since last May but I am ready with a new crew this year.

Unfortunately 2 of them have no locking experience and so with my planned non stop 24 hour and 83 locks to beat from last year may be asking a little much.

Time to take them on a locking tour I think...... In the winter.

Been stuck in a loophole since last May but I am ready with a new crew this year.

Unfortunately 2 of them have no locking experience and so with my planned non stop 24 hour and 83 locks to beat from last year may be asking a little much.

Time to take them on a locking tour I think...... In the winter.

Best time. Plenty of water and few other boats

Richard