BCN Challenge details released.

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Ill beat everyone, (dam no baseball bat)

Ill employ someone to beat you all (dam no phone credit)

Looks like ill just have to beat you to the lock then!

A 10foot boat with 60 foot of fenders counts as a full length right?

Except Laurie was third this year. I think.

The order you arrive at the finish is NOT how the results are calculated

We have a dilemma. Heart says BCN Challenge. Head says take a gazebo to Crick

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

The last time I entered this, everyone started from Gas St at 9am Saturday, and just stopped wherever they should be at 3pm Sunday. I like the idea of all finishing in the same place, but if it's at the top of 'The Crow' won't that mean some hours of congestion [lost cruising time] right at the end of the time period?

And does anyone know if the 6hrs break has to be taken as one block, or in the extreme could I have 12 half hour naps? And does hanging around at the bottom of a flight waiting for the queue to clear on The Crow count towards the break?

Just sent my cheque so looking forward to joining in again.

The last time I entered this, everyone started from Gas St at 9am Saturday, and just stopped wherever they should be at 3pm Sunday. I like the idea of all finishing in the same place, but if it's at the top of 'The Crow' won't that mean some hours of congestion [lost cruising time] right at the end of the time period?

And does anyone know if the 6hrs break has to be taken as one block, or in the extreme could I have 12 half hour naps? And does hanging around at the bottom of a flight waiting for the queue to clear on The Crow count towards the break?

Just sent my cheque so looking forward to joining in again.

Yes it will make the end "interesting".

You do not have to take the 6 hours in one block, at least you have not had to in previous years. To me 12 half hour breaks is not in the spirtit of the event though.

No doubt in the new year the current rules will be made available.

I think the six hours can only be split over a maximum of three breaks but there is nothing that says it can't be all at the beginning or the end. This year our last stop was at the bottom of Ryders Green locks when we arrived and found the Narrowboat Trust boats stuck in the locks and a queue behind them. We moored up, turned off the engine and made breakfast. In reality we ended up waiting long beyond the remaining time we had for breaks in any case.

JP

I think the six hours can only be split over a maximum of three breaks but there is nothing that says it can't be all at the beginning or the end. This year our last stop was at the bottom of Ryders Green locks when we arrived and found the Narrowboat Trust boats stuck in the locks and a queue behind them. We moored up, turned off the engine and made breakfast. In reality we ended up waiting long beyond the remaining time we had for breaks in any case.

JP

There has not previously, in the last 6 years at least, been anything in the rules about splitting the 6 hours break over any specific maximum number of breaks. A number of people of course do take it all at the end and do the 24 hours straight through.

I've assumed maximum of three breaks as that is all there is space for on the submission form.

You just write in any additional stuff on the form. For example on occasion our route has meant the we have had to repeat a small section for no points, so you just write the timing in for that section at the bottom of the page as you have already used the space for it. I would do the same with breaks if you had more than there was space on the form for.

You just write in any additional stuff on the form. For example on occasion our route has meant the we have had to repeat a small section for no points, so you just write the timing in for that section at the bottom of the page as you have already used the space for it. I would do the same with breaks if you had more than there was space on the form for.

I wonder if one day, the challenge will go digital and all entrants will be given a tracker to carry with them. Then the BCNS can work out the winners automatically. No cheating possible. Would only record from 8.00am on the saturday. Each tracker would be calibrated with the boat length and crew size.

JP

To clarify, I should state that this wasn't a dastardly NBT plot to delay other contestants, just that we were first to reach the locks in the morning and we encountered a low pound which meant we had to let water down most of the flight. We also had to use the keb to get some debris out from behind one or two gates. Purely so that we could get through rather than out of any deep concern for the queue building up behind us, if I'm honest...

The situation was in fact a side effect of our plan for using our six hour break. We stopped at Walsall quite early, 8:20 if I remember correctly, to go to the pub, then it became clear that four of us were keen to make an early start knowing we wouldn't reach a lock until after dawn, and four wanted to spend longer in the pub. So our four went back to the boats to sleep while the others came back later and had a bit of a lie-in. The trouble with this approach was that the pub group woke the others up a bit when they arrived, then the early risers disturbed them at 2:30am, so no-one got a great night's kip.