I used an Elsan for the first time today...

Ben69

Featured Posts

How does one avoid gagging?

I was in a well ventilated and clean area but I still gagged. It took me 15 minutes to empty one cassette ?

Next time I think I will wear a face mask ? or something. Any tips?

I was in a well ventilated and clean area but I still gagged. It took me 15 minutes to empty one cassette

Next time I think I will wear a face mask or something. Any tips?

You did put blue in didn't you??

I used 'green'. :)

Well I don't know what the new stuff is like but I haven't used that for about twenty years because I never rated it.

I understand the environmental issues but I find only good quality blue in the right concentration cuts the mustard. Not the already watered down stuff that some chandlers and caravan dealers stock either.

Others will of course disagree.

I still think some of us need to man up a little, though.

I've emptied toilet cassettes hundreds of times from the basic el San bucket to the Thetford C200 type slide-in. Never seems to bother me although once when I did one which had been sitting around for a few months with no chem in it the air quality became a bit poor for a time.

Takes all sorts I guess.

I was in a well ventilated and clean area but I still gagged. It took me 15 minutes to empty one cassette

Next time I think I will wear a face mask or something. Any tips?

In all the years I have been emptying a PortaPotti it has never taken that long. What on earth were you doing?

I currently sit on a Lavac sea toilet which I have plumbed to a holding tank but that's only because we have a pumpout machine on our present mooring.

I prefer cassette for cruising on balance.

Having both is ideal ;)

In all the years I have been emptying a PortaPotti it has never taken that long. What on earth were you doing?

Emptying it out of the sliding bit in the top? Hold upside down and jiggle about a bit. Then a bit more etc

There is another way :lol:

Couldn't agree more - I man up and spend 15 quid on a pump out! wink.pngbiggrin.png

Well, yes, but I still have the memories and the experience .... our choice of boat was swung when I promised to be entirely responsible for emptying the cassette, on a boat that was in all other respects perfect.

It now has a macerator/pump out system.

Cheat is to empty at every available time this way the smell dosnt build up. Aslo a good wash out everytime helps I also take a room smelly spray with me quick quirt before use the area takes some of the smell away.

• Greenie 1

I am sure PB will not mind me telling the wider world what he once told me, that as a child he used to follow the tanker round his village as it emptied the septic tanks, and decided that was what he wanted to do when he grew up. I have never let him forget this, and consequently, have never emptied a toilet.

• Greenie 1

Rodding out stains ... Hmmm ... Interesting ...

Always emptied my own cassette, never taken more than 3-4 minutes. Like Phil says, press the anti-glug (aka pressure release) button and off you go. Simple, quick and easy. Now about pump-outs ... eeeeeuuuuwwwww!

I guess if you have a delicate stomach and some do, a discrete wipe of vicks under your nose will do the job..... I also find thinking of the money saved tends to reduce the gag reflex.

• Greenie 1

I've emptied toilet cassettes hundreds of times from the basic el San bucket to the Thetford C200 type slide-in. Never seems to bother me although once when I did one which had been sitting around for a few months with no chem in it the air quality became a bit poor for a time.

Takes all sorts I guess.

I wholly concur.

Some of us are a little more sensitive though.

I can actually entertain myself for a good hour watching YouTube vids of first-time campers et. al. emptying their cassettes for the first time and vomming profusely.

The best one was a gang of burly Aussie blokes who couldn't hold it together whilst the women present weren't batting an eyelid.

I am weird about vomit etc., I find it hilarious.

I used 'green'. smile.png

There's your problem, straight away.

Green doesn' work. 'Blue' is essential.

The other thing to learn is blue stops working after about 4 days so if you haven't filled/emptied the cassette within that period, it needs dosing again.

• Greenie 1

In short I would empty a little in, gag, regain composure outside, flush loo and repeat

Then I suggest you weren't doing it correctly.

Exactly what type of unit was this?

If it was anything like my PortaPotti you turn the outlet "pipe" around, unscrew the end, tip it over the "toilet" whilst holding the little anti-glug button on and in less than 30 seconds 20 litres of wee and poo have disappeared down the bog.

I've used various green "blues" and the proper Blue and never noticed any particular bad smell from any of them.