New Boat build

Toby knight

Featured Posts

Hello All,

could somebody please point me in the right direction as to where I can look for some Boaters that have has experience with Aintree boatbuilders, i'm trying to find out other peoples experience, of having a boat built.

Many thanks your help is much appreciated !

I was talking to a chap on our marina just recently who has a 60 footer built and fitted out by Aintree. He had nothing but good things to say about them. In particular he praised their after sales service.

It's the first narrowboat he has owned but he's ex RN so hardly a novice when it comes to boats. And in my experience Navy men do tend to have an eye for detail.

You will need to learn Scouse though...

He had nothing but good things to say about them. In particular he praised their after sales service.

I am not so sure that 'after sales service' is a good thing.

A new widebeam moored very close to us (not an Aintree boat) has had at least 4 visits with 3 people each time (it may be more if they have come when we have not been there) to resolve 'manufacturing problems' - I asked them if this level of 'after sales service' was normal, to which they replied "no, its normally much worse than this, this boat was built especially for the boat show and manufacturing took extra care with it".

After sales service should not really be needed.

• Greenie 1

I am not so sure that 'after sales service' is a good thing.

A new widebeam moored very close to us (not an Aintree boat) has had at least 4 visits with 3 people each time (it may be more if they have come when we have not been there) to resolve 'manufacturing problems' - I asked them if this level of 'after sales service' was normal, to which they replied "no, its normally much worse than this, this boat was built especially for the boat show and manufacturing took extra care with it".

After sales service should not really be needed.

After sales service will pretty much always be needed on a bespoke product. Most narrow boats are not mass produced, and when every one is different things will go wrong occasionally. And given that, then good service is a lot better than bad.

I have seen a brand new Aintree widebeam - and quite a few other Aintree boats, fat and narrow.

The welding was pretty shoddy, the bowthruster tube was not blacked prior to launch, and the bowthruster tube grill was held on with cable ties.

The weed hatch was just about big enough to get your hand through, nothing else.

The steering mechanism was installed back to front so the steerer had to go opposite to the correct way until he got to the bank and moored up and the Aintree rep took over to correct the fault - he was lucky, as he almost got hit by a fully loaded motor and butty coming through in his short fact finding cruise.

The boat is NOT built for cruising it is built as a flat, which moves.

I have seen decent Aintree narrowboats, however, the latest design team do not seem to realise, or c.are, where or how their boats are going to be used.

Edited by matty40s

I have seen a brand new Aintree widebeam - and quite a few other Aintree boats, fat and narrow.

The welding was pretty shoddy, the bowthruster tube was not blacked prior to launch, and the bowthruster tube grill was held on with cable ties.

The weed hatch was just about big enough to get your hand through, nothing else.

The steering mechanism was installed back to front so the steerer had to go opposite to the correct way until he got to the bank and moored up and the Aintree rep took over to correct the fault - he was lucky, as he almost got hit by a fully loaded motor and butty coming through in his short fact finding cruise.

The boat is NOT built for cruising it is built as a flat, which moves.

I have seen decent Aintree narrowboats, however, the latest design team do not seem to realise, or c.are, where or how their boats are going to be used.

But apart ftom that, would you recommend them Matty?