Torksey to Cromwell - one of those wonderful moments...

matty40s

Featured Posts

Kathy and I did the Leicester Ring with a detour to Lincoln in 12 days, blessed with wonderful weather and lots of highlights.

The best bit was probably the early start back up the Trent from Torksey - we were last ones locked down at dusk on Monday and had to moor against the dredging barge as the pontoons were doublemoored full.

Tide was supposed to come past between 5.30 and 6 so as soon as the water started to rise, we set off.

• Greenie 3

Brilliant, that time of day is special, never been on the Trent but we did leave Limehouse at first light once to catch the tide to Teddington, sun rising behind us over Tower bridge and London, not much else on the water, not a sight most other folks get to see.

Loads of wildlife, waterskiers adding fun on the way down and beautiful weather both ways.

The worst bit of the whole trip by far was the section from Hawkesbury to Rugby, full of idiotic numpties who refuse to look behind them and let you know their intensions before they select reverse and try to moor up in bridge holes/blind corners. The hire boats were even funnier(congrats to the Rose Narrowboats trainer who jumped off with rope and disappeared into the hedge upside down☺)

Thanks for the elucidation Matty - I'll do a (legal!) d/l of that track.

I've often wondered about the following that Gardners seem to have. Driving wagons in the early 70s, I often got stuck with the old wrecks of the fleet - usually powered by 6 pot Gardner 180s, coupled with a 6 speed box. The memories of underpowered, under geared 32 tonners being coaxed up an incline they just didn't want to climb has given me an aversion to the sound of 6 pot Gardners in torment. By contrast, that unstressed 2 pot sounds superb!

Cheers,

Chris

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing. love the stunning dawn sky.

Thanks, it was truly stunning.

Lovely video...Have a greenie thing clapping.gif

thankyou

Very nice. As you say, it doesn't get much better than that.

it was worth getting up at 5am and watching two bricks to see when the tide came past so we were first out!!!

Brilliant, that time of day is special, never been on the Trent but we did leave Limehouse at first light once to catch the tide to Teddington, sun rising behind us over Tower bridge and London, not much else on the water, not a sight most other folks get to see.

Limehouse has to be done early morning - Thames to yourself is something else.

The Trent at it's very very best.

It was good going down, superb back up.

Just wondering Matty, are those the fabled "northern lights" on top of your Boat? smile.png

Brilliant video, have a greenie.

They are the Blackpool illuminations....like to have a show!! Thanks

Most of my dawn boating seems to have been done on the Wyrley and Essington

Great video, Matty

Richard

Forget your previous river experience ninja.gif , it can be wonderful. Thanks

Each to their own of course, but I find the Trent rather boring, especially that section. Yours was a nice time of day to do it though.

i am amazed, there is so much to see, and the engine loves the deep water.

Torksey to Cromwell was my favourite day's boating ever. Truly magical and with a real sense of being out in the wild. I must get back up there.

You must indeed.

By the way, the geese got their own back.

We moored at sunset at the very end of the Torksey visitor moorings for BBQ and music.

Skane by skane, all the Trent geese flew over and moored themselves in the field directly behind the embankment until there were around 500 or more of the honking buggers there!!

We'd just come up Torksey Lock as Matty was going down -- and when we did the return trip from Torksey to Cromwell a couple of days later it was a trifle foggy! Then we spotted a tug and pans gaining on us from out of the gloom.

post-706-0-79725300-1475606732_thumb.jpg

post-706-0-38432400-1475606761_thumb.jpg

We'd just come up Torksey Lock as Matty was going down -- and when we did the return trip from Torksey to Cromwell a couple of days later it was a trifle foggy! Then we spotted a tug and pans gaining on us from out of the gloom.

That's the pan I moored against before leaving, it was empty then and far too high to climb up to.

Main disappointment was not being able to moor anywhere in the Brayford Pool. We managed to squeeze onto the CRT moorings at an angle (arrival midday) as they were very full, even the waterpoint had a boat tied up and locked up on it (was still there when we left Lincoln 5 hours later).

I noticed some new pontoons almost ready below Nottingham, about 1/2 a mile above the Holme Lock on the North side, not sure if these will be visitor moorings or something else - they aren't finished yet.

20160910_154048_zpsjqjpr1q3.jpg

Edited by matty40s

By the way, the geese got their own back.

We moored at sunset at the very end of the Torksey visitor moorings for BBQ and music.

Skane by skane, all the Trent geese flew over and moored themselves in the field directly behind the embankment until there were around 500 or more of the honking buggers there!!

at least they did not c**p all over your boat.

That's the pan I moored against before leaving, it was empty then and far too high to climb up to.

Main disappointment was not being able to moor anywhere in the Brayford Pool. We managed to squeeze onto the CRT moorings at an angle (arrival midday) as they were very full, even the waterpoint had a boat tied up and locked up on it (was still there when we left Lincoln 5 hours later).

I noticed some new pontoons almost ready below Nottingham, about 1/2 a mile above the Holme Lock on the North side, not sure if these will be visitor moorings or something else - they aren't finished yet.

If the pontoons are at the place I think, I seem to remember they were right next door to the sea cadets or a boat club or something -- and I assumed they were putting them in.

Lincoln must be a matter of timing. When we got there, there was only one other boat on the CRT moorings, so we had our pick.

Edited by adam1uk

If the pontoons are at the place I think, I seem to remember they were right next door to the sea cadets or a boat club or something -- and I assumed they were putting them in.

Sea cadets is quite a long way from these, and these are designed to ride the floods so I think proper moorings for someone.

Lincoln must be a matter of timing. When we got there, there was only one other boat on the CRT moorings, so we had our pick.

There are other moorings in Lincoln if the CRT moorings are full. We tend to use the moorings outside the Waterside Centre. They are quieter at night with better access to the city centre.

Yes. Been watching these pontoons with interest, and posted on forum to ask if anyone knew anything about them. We've not been able to moor at Holme Pierrpont, without being on the high walls for the last 2 to 3 years as the permit holders are on the visitor moorings whilst the hydro electric scheme is being done.

I don't hold out a lot of hope they will be public moorings, maybe for the Princess or other popular party boats?