Play Devil's Advocate on a project boat

Featured Posts

I'm contemplating buying a project boat... I think we know where this post is heading.

It's Dawncraft 25' and it needs a bit lot of TLC. The good news is that it has most of the parts included - the current owner purchased it, stripped it, bought all the parts and then ran out of time. After all, what kind of idiot would want to work on a boat in Autumn? Oh...

1. The engine isn't seized but it needs a good service as it has sat for months.
  2. The steering wheel isn't attached. All the parts included though.
  3. The ceiling fell down(!). All the wood is there, it just needs to be fitted more securely.
  4. No heating to speak of. I'm leaning towards fitting a secondhand multifuel stove like a boatman. Obviously this will involve flue, chimney, hat, hearth, and plenty of protective shield. Webasto would be nice but new they're worth more than I'm paying for this boat biggrin.png
  5. No water heating either. This isn't a big deal though. There isn't a shower so water heating for dishwashing can be done via kettle. There's space with easy access for a Morco so I can add one at a later date if I regret this decision.
  6. Gas appliances (hob/oven) included but not fitted.
  7. Solar panels not included. So I'll need to buy a couple of panels, MPPT, and a battery monitor. After all, who could live without solar power?
  8. No wiring. No lights. No outlets. Fortunately everything is accessible as the ceiling is down laugh.png

So there we have it. The price of the boat is very low £££. The parts included are worth more than that. So I need someone sensible to talk me out of buying it. Over to you!

I may be very wrong here but I would not expect a GRP cruiser to have a wooden ceiling. I would expect a stuck on foam backed PVC or carpet style headlining. It may be that you have a one piece ply or glazed hardboard ceiling but this may have been retrofitted. Whatever you do when trying to refit it make absolutely sure you do not screw right through the roof.

I would use body filler or grab adhesive to glue suitable battens to the roof, then use bands of glass scrim and resin to secure them again. Then screw to the battens. When people walk on the roof it is very likely to flex so I would not trust grab adhesive on its own but many do.

Download the Boat Safety Scheme guidance and make sure that you fully comply, otherwise you will not get a BSS certificate when done.

OH - and please allow at least three times longer than you think it will take for the refit and you are very likely to still over run.

You don't say how old the boat is, but please don't touch it if it comes from the 1973-77 era, that was when Dawncraft like many other grp boat builders, were struggling to come to terms with the rocketing price of resin as a result of the Oil Crisis. Dawncrafts built around that time were considerably inferior to those from the late 60's/early 70's and the later boats from the 1980's.