What do you think of this boat as a first buy?

Melissas

Featured Posts

Thats a good reply Mike. I like positive.

I'm a bit worried about a narrowboat walking down the tow path though.

Yes, that occurred to me but I'm having one of my non-infantile days - happens almost every month.

Melissa, I would add that the price looks competitive unless there is something REALLY wrong - which a survey will tell you.

Thanks Athy, she did look good value for the money in truth, I think i might go in with an offer a little lower and see what he says

Listen to other people on here first. It's only my impression, and I have never owned a Widdowson boat. If the boat is already "priced to sell" and the price looks good value, don't go too low. You risk antagonising them.*

If it's the owner who's selling, of course there's no middle-man to be paid, which should reduce the asking price a little.

* That said, today I talked a chap at an antiques stall at a country fair down from the £45 he wanted for a particular item to £32.22p. So I'm not against bargaining in the slightest. But in that case I thought it was overpriced in the first price.

Sounds too goodcto be true, very cheap for a 2006 boat from a decent builder, with a decent engine and a powerful Victron inverter.

How many hours has the engine done?

Get a survey and if it's sound bite his hand off!

Thanks everyone for your good advice.

I just wanted to let you all know that I called and put an offer in and it was accepted :-)

We both had a really good feeling about the boat and felt she was the right one for us.

I've just got to find a place to get her surveyed and hopefully she'll be ours in a week or two!! Very excited!

Thanks again for all your help :-)

Thanks everyone for your good advice.

I just wanted to let you all know that I called and put an offer in and it was accepted :-)

We both had a really good feeling about the boat and felt she was the right one for us.

I've just got to find a place to get her surveyed and hopefully she'll be ours in a week or two!! Very excited!

Thanks again for all your help :-)

Congratulations.

Find somewhere to have her taken out of the water. Surveyors will travel.

• 2 weeks later...

This was an interesting read Melissas, but i'm just a bit unclear as to which boat you went for in the end. Was it the one on the Apollo Duck ad linked in the first post or the other one you spotted later?

Me too.....Somewhere I lost the plot (not unusual)....So the AD boat or the one towpath walking?

Either way, I hope you have a great time aboard

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for my slightly disingenuous question, Melissas, which was actually my first post to these forums, but we'd already arranged to view this boat before seeing this thread, so were amazed to click on the link in your top post and see the same boat! I was just trying to deduce, without making it obvious, whether you'd viewed the boat and either trumped us with an offer or walked away because you'd detected some issues you weren't happy with. I can now report that we went ahead and viewed, and later bought, the boat you initially posted about. There is a separate thread about it here: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=88150&page=1

Good luck with the boat you eventually bought, which seems like an amazing bargain price wise, and i hope you have countless happy hours in it.

Edited by Froggy

You bought a palace! please adopt me smile.png

We'll invite you to tea and scones after the corgis settle in. :)

But seriously, as with all the boats we viewed, it's not actually quite as good as the photos suggest. It should be pretty acceptable though once a bit of work has been done. And hopefully you're not actually homeless!

Edited by Froggy
  • Greenie 1

Don't discount the possibility. Remember Starcoaster bursting, nay rampaging, on to these pages a while (three years?) ago with hilarious and perceptive posts. Within a short time she was having articles published in the waterways press. Will our Max be next?