My old butty..

rivergate

Featured Posts

Butty looks nice

The initial renovation of BEDWORTH was completed by an old friend of mine, who also lives at Warwickshire Fly Boat. Prior to his ownership BEDWORTH had been one of Alan 'Caggy' Stevens rubbish boats. I have a nice photo of BEDWORTH and YEOFORD tied at the top of Ryders Green Locks just after it had been completed, and in the livery as shown above captain.gif

• Yeah I heard that The Duck was here at the Fly Boats....I bought the boat from him in Gas Street and we worked on the dredging fleets together for a winter before I joined Land & Water.....happy days smile.png

Id love to see pics of her now - thank you smile.png We put the lid on her - and rebuilt her hull here before Marriage No1 concluded and she was sold....she was a lovely boat smile.png

Totally agree about that Northwich on the outside smile.png really nice smile.png

I had an old friend who bought her from Caggy and started work on her prior to The Ducks ownership smile.png

She was really lovely and I was very pleased with her - she made a picture for sure smile.png

Epsom had my heart tho - my daughter born in the back cabin 27 years ago and me the mid wife! smile.png ...when I win the lottery I will be knocking on her door again smile.png lol

Edited by rivergate

Epsom had my heart tho - my daughter born in the back cabin 27 years ago and me the mid wife! smile.png ...when I win the lottery I will be knocking on her door again smile.png lol

I photographed EPSOM tied near Newbold Tunnel on 29 October 1990, and we chatted for a while. At that time I was carrying out a photographic 'survey' of what was left of the G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. narrow boat fleet, and I seem to recall you having a baby on board.

Next time we chatted you had acquired BEDWORTH and were tied on the outskirts of Oxford on 08 August 1991. On that occasion you gave me a fantastic lead in that TAYGETTA (formally SEVERN DOLPHIN) and a sunken LEONIDS were at Kings Lock island, which I photographed within the hour captain.gif

:)

...love to see those pictures Pete..?

The time when you photo'ed Epsom would have been just before I fed my hand into a table saw and we bought Bedworth and moved to The Stop while I convalesced...

I had an old friend who bought her from Caggy and started work on her prior to The Ducks ownership smile.png

I would be very grateful if you could PM me the name of this owner as it is a gap I have in BEDWORTH's history. When advertised for sale in 1986/87 it came with a Willenhall telephone number.

I saw BEDWORTH tied at Barbridge in late 1985 with a new but rusty back cabin (open and not fitted out) and no running gear. I am pretty sure that 'The Duck' bought BEDWORTH in this condition in 1987.

smile.png

The time when you photo'ed Epsom would have been just before I fed my hand into a table saw and we bought Bedworth and moved to The Stop while I convalesced...

I am afraid they are all on slides, which back then were considered to be the best way of capturing high quality images captain.gif

No problem - I will put my memory into gear and see what I can come up with..it was along time ago :)

He was moored in the marina at Braunston when I had Epsom there for my daughters birth and I was doing the decking for their new pontoons....it will come back to me but I think he had the metal cabin put on...

• 2 weeks later...

smile.png

I remember "Epsom' as being converted JP2? powered, with cracked water jacket, 1967, Moored at the mill at Gt Haywood owned by a Mr/Mrs Massey

Yeah - that's right - I ran the JP for a couple of years ( it didn't have a water jacket issue although it lost a cylinder and jacket going round the zoo one day and I had to find new and swap it on the towpath with the help of a friend who knew what he was doing :) lol )...loved the engine but swapped it for a new back end/counter and back cabin/engine ole steel work and dropped an HR2 into her instead courtesy of the lock on the outskirts of Oxford...she was/is a brilliant boat - my daughter was born in the back cabin 27 years ago...very fond memories :)