publically available images of canal related artifacts

magnetman

Featured Posts

I have quite a large collection of old hand forged boat hooks and windlasses and other general items which I have pulled out of the cut with the magnets.

I would like to upload images of the collection to somewhere on the webnet where people would be able to see them.

Wikimedia was one option I came across as a museum in Holland has uploaded quite a few boathook pictures but are there other online options which interested people would find? I'm reluctant to donate to a museum as they have a habit of putting things in boxes and nobody ever sees them. I'd rather keep them. Not interested in selling anything.

My gallery has photos of some but not all of my more interesting finds.

Would crt be interested in images of this sort of thing? For their archive or are they just interested in old photos :unsure:

Alteration edits

Edited by magnetman

CRT is the last place I would place a collection, they are incapable of proper interpretation and even now the results of the digitised archive are dire, just look at the poor resolution of the images. Creating your own website isnt too expensive nowadays or something like Pinterest would be suitable. My own archive will need a home one day, placing with a like minded individual is a preffered option.

CRT is the last place I would place a collection, they are incapable of proper interpretation and even now the results of the digitised archive are dire, just look at the poor resolution of the images. Creating your own website isnt too expensive nowadays or something like Pinterest would be suitable. My own archive will need a home one day, placing with a like minded individual is a preffered option.

Pinterest - that's worth looking at. Thanks for your advice :)

CRT is the last place I would place a collection, they are incapable of proper interpretation and even now the results of the digitised archive are dire, just look at the poor resolution of the images. .......................... My own archive will need a home one day, placing with a like minded individual is a preffered option.

Unfortunately I am in a position where I agree with Mr Hogg, not that I usually disagree with him but that I think C.& R.T. Archives are in a shambles.

The like minded individual is where I would like my scraps and notes to go, but more concerning is I have no idea who this may be captain.gif

OK so not CRT then.

I'll put a couple of pictures of some of my collection (my wheelhouse museum :rolleyes: ) on this thread so people know what I am on about :)

;)

not sure why they came up as "thumbnails" in first attempt :unsure:

post-1752-0-99434500-1475767785_thumb.jpg

post-1752-0-14572000-1475767804_thumb.jpg

post-1752-0-30692100-1475767940_thumb.jpg

post-1752-0-75373000-1475767980_thumb.jpg

Not sure as there are one or two with markings on I can't decipher. I have got a GJCCo stamped boathook (right hand one hanging in the window in first photo) which is a nice item.

I noticed that Stoke Bruerne museum has one described as GJCCo which is a particular design - I have two similar but not sure if they have markings as I have not examined them closely.

There are 5 or 6 Cooke "Clay pipe" windlasses in the picture - all of them large socket Grand Junction type as I did all of my "proper magnet" searching on the Grand Union (South).

Are you talking about a stamped windlass or a particular pattern?

3rd one down is a GUCCo windlass apparently (photo courtesy of CWDF member Ray T)

I have two with similar pattern - unusual to get the "shank" being flat like that almost all the way along ) but not sure if they are stamped like that one is.

Derek R of this parish has a GJCCo windlass.

post-1752-0-43411400-1475782360_thumb.jpg

Edited by magnetman

Its interesting to know about what is actually stamped onto the windlass.

Its a bit anorakish but it would probably be GJCCo originally. Someone told me that after 1929 when it became Grand Union the old Grand Junction equipment would sometimes be modified to change the J to a U. Easily done. The one on the SB museum looks a little bit like an example of this happening.

Eta GUCCCo is a different thing to GUCCo.

Whether the carrying company had their own windlasses with markings I don't know but the canal company itself certainly did.

Edited by magnetman

3rd one down is a GUCCo windlass apparently (photo courtesy of CWDF member Ray T)

I have two with similar pattern - unusual to get the "shank" being flat like that almost all the way along ) but not sure if they are stamped like that one is.

Derek R of this parish has a GJCCo windlass.

The photo is actually one of mine I put on the forum a long time ago:

Edited by Ray T