Leaky mushrooms

Daltonia

Featured Posts

My mushrooms, on a boat that is two years old, appear to be leaking (see first image). It doesn't appear to be condensation. All five mushrooms have this problem. After rain, a film of water collects at the base of the mushroom (see second and third images). I'm not sure if it is ingress through siliconed seals at the base of the mushrooms or along the lines of the attachment bolts, perhaps both? I would appreciate any advice on how best to solve this problem.

post-25277-0-11658700-1475223877_thumb.jpg

post-25277-0-29961200-1475223884_thumb.jpg

post-25277-0-35939600-1475223889_thumb.jpg

The only thing to do with leaky mushrooms is remove, dress the rust, paint, re-seal and re-install also putting some seal on the screw threads to seal those too, but the seal looks ok with no rust tails on the seal/roof edge, This may be that the seal was only put on the outside edge of the mushroom and not on the inside/hole edge hence no rust on the roof with the water escaping to the inside/hole edge. It may just be the water slowly leaking through the screws due to water build up in the hole recess and the only way it can go is to the inside. Try removing the screws to see if their rusty? If so re-screw with sealent on the screws and threads to form a seal here too.

I get water coming in sometimes when it is heavy rain hitting the roof at an angle and all I can put it down too is the rain bouncing up from the roof and getting caught by the underneath of the mushroom. and then dripping on the inside.

Edited by Northernboater

The only thing to do with leaky mushrooms is remove, dress the rust, paint, re-seal and re-install also putting some seal on the screw threads to seal those too, but the seal looks ok with no rust tails on the seal/roof edge, This may be that the seal was only put on the outside edge of the mushroom and not on the inside/hole edge hence no rust on the roof with the water escaping to the inside/hole edge. It may just be the water slowly leaking through the screws due to water build up in the hole recess and the only way it can go is to the inside. Try removing the screws to see if their rusty? If so re-screw with sealent on the screws and threads to form a seal here too.

I get water coming in sometimes when it is heavy rain hitting the roof at an angle and all I can put it down too is the rain bouncing up from the roof and getting caught by the underneath of the mushroom. and then dripping on the inside.

I would agree. I refitted my 4 on my boat a year ago. Admitted, Dreadlocks is 17 tears old and the rust had expanded the joint and snapped the heads off most of the screws!