Dennis Cooper Norton Canes

nyima77

Featured Posts

I have worked with CTS for many years, knowing Denis since the 60s, when I started boating and then son Matt who now runs things, though Denis still turns in most days, sometimes doing woodworking jobs. Big Dave and Little Dave handle paint jobs in the dry dock while Andy the welder handles new builds and repairs. Many of the customers are long time boaters, including Tom Chaplin and Bernard Hales of tug Enterprise. Old time skills, real knowledge, boatbuilders rather than fabricator's. I could go on.....

Dave

SHE, I think - but yes, you are quite right; or she could be as technologically gifted as me, and not know how to post a link!

Swerving right off topic for a rant, it seems a peculiar trait we British have, were there is no shame in publicly displaying technical ineptitude. Particularly where computers are concerned. Presenters on the BBC seem especially prone to this... I think it was Aasmah Mir I heard say on air "I hardly even know how to turn my computer on, hahahaha!" as if it was something to be proud of.

Most other nationalities would see their failure to have learned even simple computer techniques like posting a link as something to be ashamed of, not spoken about as though it is funny. Here in the UK we seem top regard people with technical knowldege as somewhat inferior to those who studied the humanities at university. This ties in with the public disdain here for engineers.

In most other countries engineers are respected, and being unable to post a link of a discussion forum would be something to be embarrassed about. But oh no, not here!

Rant over.

Phew, that's better!!! :D

Swerving right off topic for a rant, it seems a peculiar trait we British have, were there is no shame in publicly displaying technical ineptitude. Particularly where computers are concerned. Presenters on the BBC seem especially prone to this... I think it was Aasmah Mir I heard say on air "I hardly even know how to turn my computer on, hahahaha!" as if it was something to be proud of.

Most other nationalities would see their failure to have learned even simple computer techniques like posting a link as something to be ashamed of, not spoken about as though it is funny. Here in the UK we seem top regard people with technical knowldege as somewhat inferior to those who studied the humanities at university. This ties in with the public disdain here for engineers.

In most other countries engineers are respected, and being unable to post a link of a discussion forum would be something to be embarrassed about. But oh no, not here!

Rant over.

Phew, that's better!!! biggrin.png

This is perhaps the unkindest post I have ever seen from you - despite the smiling-faced icon at its end, I suspect that some of it is meant seriously.

For my part, I have always been on the arts rather than the science side. However, after being a CWF member for some years I began to feel at ease mentioning a variety of subjects on here which I would not generally discuss with people (many of) whom I don't know. One of these is my lack of aptitude in technical and scientific matters. I am not proud of it, but felt relaxed enough on CWF to make a joke (against myself, after all) about it.

Until now. That is a pity.

This is perhaps the unkindest post I have ever seen from you - despite the smiling-faced icon at its end, I suspect that some of it is meant seriously.

For my part, I have always been on the arts rather than the science side. However, after being a CWF member for some years I began to feel at ease mentioning a variety of subjects on here which I would not generally discuss with people (many of) whom I don't know. One of these is my lack of aptitude in technical and scientific matters. I am not proud of it, but felt relaxed enough on CWF to make a joke (against myself, after all) about it.

In that case I sincerely apologise. I have you down as a very self-confident person and thought would come back with a well-argued slap down for me, but it looks as though I've seriously offended you. I'll delete my post if you wish.

I'll also show you how to post link if you're interested. You'll kick yourself when you see how how simple it is.

I did not think MtB's post was meant nastily, nor addressed to you, though I hope it was of serious intent.

The same dichotomy relates to Maths and English - many who would be insulted by any reflection on their english are happy to admit incompetence with simple arithmetic.

Sorry, too slow again!

Edited by frahkn

In that case I sincerely apologise. I have you down as a very self-confident person and thought would come back with a well-argued slap down for me, but it looks as though I've seriously offended you. I'll delete my post if you wish.

Accepted. I knew you weren't really a **7%8$**. Well, not ALL the time...

If I come across as self-confident, that is perhaps a measure of how well I have managed to conceal the real Athy.

I did not think MtB's post was meant nastily, nor addressed to you, though I hope it was of serious intent.

The same dichotomy relates to Maths and English - many who would be insulted by any reflection on their english are happy to admit incompetence with simple arithmetic.

Oh yes it was, but Mr. Boiler has apologised and I am happy with that.

Rant over.

Phew, that's better!!! biggrin.png

I suspect that people's attitude to their own technical cluelessness is probably more universal than you seem to think. What marks out the British (or maybe English? - discuss) is the habit of self-deprecation.

MP.

• Greenie 1

I suspect that people's attitude to their own technical cluelessness is probably more universal than you seem to think. What marks out the British (or maybe English? - discuss) is the habit of self-deprecation.

MP.

Coupled with a suspicion of/tendency to denigrate experts?

Coupled with a suspicion of/tendency to denigrate experts?

Not so sure about that -as long as they are acknowledged experts rather than self-appointed ones.

There's a rather pleasing Jamaican expression "The higher the monkey climbs is the more he expose".

MP.

It is a very universal trait.

You can see it, for example, in https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport which has posters from all over the world.

The flip side of it being pretty accepted to be bad at certain kinds of technology is the overweening arrogance of some of those put in charge of it, which also comes across clearly!

Well I'm a complete fist when it comes to most things DIY etc, however, at least with the much feared computer thingymajig you simply cant break them....Try what ever you like and if it goes t*ts up, press delete and start again! clapping.gif

Sorry the post needs dragging back on topic ....Local builder to me is CTS

Edited by Penfold

Not so sure about that -as long as they are acknowledged experts rather than self-appointed ones.

There's a rather pleasing Jamaican expression "The higher the monkey climbs is the more he expose".

I think Chertsey may have been thinking of a certain M. Gove during the recent referendum unpleasantness...

MP.

Sorry, been offline for a few days and preoccupied with buying a boat, little things like that(!)

No link not because I don't know how to post one or even because I was afraid of being gazumped - it's just that we made an offer before it was officially advertised.

British Maid (50') built at Norton Canes in 1979. We should be moving on board and moving all of us to Mercia at the end of this month.

• Greenie 2

Sorry, been offline for a few days and preoccupied with buying a boat, little things like that(!)

No link not because I don't know how to post one or even because I was afraid of being gazumped - it's just that we made an offer before it was officially advertised.

British Maid (50') built at Norton Canes in 1979. We should be moving on board and moving all of us to Mercia at the end of this month.

Excellent news, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!