Question for Boatman Stove owners

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

Does anyone know what thickness of fire rope is needed for a Boatman stove? A gap has opened up around the glass in the door and it looks like quite a narrow gauge of rope is needed.

While I'm at it I might as well replace the fire rope that's around the edge of the door too. That's much thicker though - again does anyone know what thickness is needed?

I've emailed Northern Fabrications but had no reply and I've got appalling phone signal at the moment.

Does anyone know what thickness of fire rope is needed for a Boatman stove? A gap has opened up around the glass in the door and it looks like quite a narrow gauge of rope is needed.

While I'm at it I might as well replace the fire rope that's around the edge of the door too. That's much thicker though - again does anyone know what thickness is needed?

I've emailed Northern Fabrications but had no reply and I've got appalling phone signal at the moment.

Thanks smile.png

It isn't rope around the glass, its like thin fire proof tape folded all around the edge.

Door rope 8mm but I find 6mm better.

Edited by bizzard

Eddie at Northen Fabrications does come back to you eventually by email but it's best to phone him. I just got a replacement glass from him very promptly delivered he will know what sort of rope you need and will send it to you quickly.

Strangely when we got our Boatman from Eddie 9 years ago the glass was bedded in fire cement as it was when he replaced the glass a couple of years later. I've changed the glass every year since using fire cement and never had a problem.

The rope is 8mm, got mine from eBay as quicker than Eddie and you need 1.04 metres of it. The screws that hold the glass in place are M3.

Edited by pearley

I had a similar problem a few years ago - i.e. I couldn't get a response from Eddie.

In the end, someone said to use 9mm rope, so I got some, with some glue, from an ebay supplier. It was quite tight to close the door at first and the side where the closer is didnt seal fully but, after leaving it shut a few days, opening and closing it every now and then, it eventually compressed and has worked fine since.

It's actually quite slack now, but seals fine.

Thanks everyone. So its 8mm for the door. Not sure I want to use fire cement for the glass. Fire cement has always cracked within two weeks when I've used it elsewhere on the stove. But I suppose it would bed the glass in like a window.

So should I use rope, whatever that mystery tape is, or fire cement for the glass? I've ended up with more options than I expected.