HELP ME-I'M A NEWBIE

Elixer

Featured Posts

It's not an either/or -- you want the surveyor to look at the hull out of the water, and test things like the engine in the water.

Thank you smile.png a surveyor should inspect the hull of my the boat out of water and then test the engine in the water. I understand.

Dangerous game, this surveying lark.

Lol. It's in the same time frame of when the >survivor< visits.

Talk about Narrowboats please.

Edited by Elixer

I thought this after reading the first few posts.

This is a thread for learning about what I may need to do to get my 1st narrowboat. Talk about Narrowboats please.

Is that you Chris Pink?

This is a thread for learning about what I may need to do to get my 1st narrowboat. Talk about Narrowboats please.

Edited by Elixer

smile.png I am happy to have learned what I have so far.

Can anybody tell me anything about the kind of electrics and batteries I should think about?

No, not unless you spend hours detailing exactly how you are going to use the boat and what electrical equipment you intend to use and for how long. Then in view of your latter comments others might be very disinclined to read it all and in any case it will all probably change within weeks.

This is a very complicated area because everything I list above affects every other part. For instance are you aware that if you install shore based mains power your hull is at risk of perforating unless you buy and fit even more equipment. I suggest that you spend a lot of time reading the electrical topics available to you here, then come back and ask some specific questions.

To try to give you an idea of the range of possibilities.

If you only use a gas fridge, gas/oil lamps, solid fuel heating, do not use mobile phones, computers etc on board and cruise for (say) 5 or 6 hours every day then you could get away with just one battery and a dynamo or and outboard's system to keep it charged.

If you want fully equipped floating cottage with all mod cons and rarely cruise for more than an hour or two you will need shore power, a large domestic alternator, inverter, mains battery charger, and probably an on-board generator plus a large battery bank.

It is likley that you will be somewhere between the two but only you know that. If you want to optimise your battery life when away from mains power you will also need a means of monitoring what is happening to your batteries.

Some of the replies in this thread have been on the unkind side. Elixer is evidently being prudent and researching the subject thoroughly before buying his first boat, rather than jumping in at the deep end without a lifebelt. Surely, that is what we should encourage potential boaters to do? So, why have some colleagues reacted negatively? His questions thus far have been reasonable, which is more than can be said for some of the responses to them. We have a tradition on CWF of helping new and inexperienced people - let us maintain that, please.

• Greenie 1

But there is no need to in effect tell members who are having a bit of a laugh at his expense to shut up ad stick to his questions. I was happy to try to be constructive until the "stick to the topic" comments he repeated more than twice.

Whilst I am always happy to try to help people I also expect them to do some basic research themselves rather than just repeat questions asked many tens of times before, especially when they do not give sufficient information to give a sensible answer.

I find the answer to the electrical system question saying "a good one" perfectly adequate given the lack of detail in the question.

Edited to add:

The OP would do well to obtain a copy of The New Narrowboat Builder's Book from Waterways World and study it. I should help illustrate the task he is planning and also help formulate pertinent questions for a position of some knowledge.

Edited by Tony Brooks

But there is no need to in effect tell members who are having a bit of a laugh at his expense to shut up ad stick to his questions.

There have been several previous instances of new members, seeking advice and guidance, being hounded off the forum by unsympathetic and derisive replies. I would not care to see that happen again. Would you?

Unlike you, I found the answer about the electrical system, "a good one", to be brusque to say the least. No one is going to recommend "a bad one"; so, what constitutes "a good one", was what the O.P. wished to discover. Your answer was "perfectly adequate" and helpful; Phil's, alas, was not.

Slightly off topic, I am interested in boats on canals, please can forum members tell me everything there is to know about them without me having to read previous threads. Or use Google. Or do any work of my own.

This type of response is well out of order. One of CWF's strengths is the willingness of many of its members to offer help and guidance to tyro boaters. Are you suggesting that, each time such a person approaches us in good faith, we should reply "Bugger off and find out for yourself"?

This type of response is well out of order. One of CWF's strengths is the willingness of many of its members to offer help and guidance to tyro boaters. Are you suggesting that, each time such a person approaches us in good faith, we should reply "Bugger off and find out for yourself"?

Nope. Just that there should be some indication that the body does not expect to be spoon fed.