Please tell me what you think of this boat?

Melissas

Featured Posts

Hello everyone,

Hope you don't mind but I'd like to ask your advice again as I'm still hunting for the right boat.

I'm interested in this boat on apollo duck http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=490723

She's just been reduced from £41,000 to £38,000 after being on a few weeks.

In April 2016 she was washed,scraped and hammered the hull and had two coats of Intertuf 16 applied and 4 new anodes fitted as the old ones were at 40%.

She had a hull report performed in April 2016 which showed

"There was rust around the water line and rust scale and lime scale present. There was pitting below the water line on the sides to a depth of 0.5mm, these were in irregular sizes ranging from 5-30mm. There was evidence of zinc phosphate primer. The base plate sacrificial edge dld not appear to be damaged.

Recommendations:Boats with bitumen hull coatings should be blacked every two years".
Your advice is greatly appreciated on what you think of her as you helped me massively last time and avoided me making a fairly big boo boo. I'm new to this, so your experience is invaluable.
Thanks so much for your input, Melissa

If, and I don't know for sure, but I think this boat was lived aboard and didn't move too far.

It looks to me to have been stripped out and bits bought from DIY places and installed. Basic interior. Blank canvas some may say. But at £38000 it's an expensive blank canvas. These comments are my own opinions.

Martyn

i don' think she was asking for an opinion on what it looked like, she is more bothered about the survey,it's always better to have your own survey done by an independent surveyor i agree that the price is too high.

She did ask for opinions on the boat rather then the survey!

But yes always better to have your own survey carried out.

Why did the seller have a survey carried out in 2016?

She did ask for opinions on the boat rather then the survey!

But yes always better to have your own survey carried out.

Why did the seller have a survey carried out in 2016?

Possibly to see how much of the hull had disappeared over the ten years of ownership.

At least a hull survey of your own.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your advice, very helpful.

She was a pretty blank canvas, yes, I got the impression that they had stripped out pretty much everything as they have moved onto a larger boat. To be honest, I'm open minded about interiors as they can always be improved upon.

They got the survey done when they moved out, I think primarily to sell her quickly. Thanks for pointing out the rust Graham.

In truth, we're struggling to find the right boat as we've been looking for nearly a year now and I didn't really think it would be as difficult to find the right one - but I guess they're like houses, finding the one that fits is tricky.

Thanks again for all your help, it really is so appreciated.

And thanks for pointing out that she is overpriced - it's a bit of a mire working out if they're a rip off or a bargain!

What are your criteria for the "right boat?"

Someone might be able to point you in the right direction of a suitable boat if you tell them what you want.

All boats are a compromise so you will never find one that fits the bill exactly. :cheers:

good comments.

Don't be shy. You seem to. Want a cruiser stern. What is your budget. If it's in the 40k region you'll get a belter for that.

Let us all know and we'll find a boat for you.

The positioning of the heating header tank (with pressure cap to release excess steam/water) directly above the mains inverter is a particularly inspired piece of design! If they can get something as simple as this so fundamentally wrong what's the rest of it like?

Thanks naughty-cal and nightwatch smile.png

The right boat would be a 57-60ft cruiser stern, though a semi trad would be fine too as there'd be a playpen for my dog.

In a perfect world a double berth with a small extra cabin big enough for a small sofa bed (not essential at all though) with a top budget of £38K.

The major thing is that she will work as a liveaboard rather than as a weekend vessel as I intend to live on her with my fiance and my dog.

Thank you for your help!

The positioning of the heating header tank (with pressure cap to release excess steam/water) directly above the mains inverter is a particularly inspired piece of design! If they can get something as simple as this so fundamentally wrong what's the rest of it like?

Hi Chalky, that's quite scary! Thanks for pointing that one out

Edited by Melissas

Thanks Rachel/ Cal, the second one looks at least "interesting". Why was it built in 1978 but not commissioned until many years later? But it seems to have had a recent refit with plenty of new bits (including a very pretty Godin stove in the bedroom) and an engine which should have ample power.

Downside: galley is not a thing of beauty (but seems to have all the kit including washing machine), no central heating and thus probably no way of heating water except by running the engine, unless the Bubble Stove does it (but not stated).

It just looks very crudely constructed and poorly shaped.

It looks to me to have intentionally built at lowest possible cost to provide largest possible interior space, with nil regard to the practicality of boating in it.

The hull is shapeless, and will likely swim terribly. The hull is crudely constructed with angles where curves ought to be, and lacking in adequate guards to protect it from bumps and knocks. The cabin is too box like, lacking tumble-home, and the gunwales look too narrow to be walked safely.

I struggle to believe this is from a serious narrow boat builder. The fit out appears to have been done at the least cost they could get away with.

There have to be countless boats that are a better bet than this one!

I struggle to believe this is from a serious narrow boat builder.

Alchemy Narrowboats, so we're told. I vaguely recall the name, but I don't think that they were in business for very long. Your comments may help to explain why!

Hello everyone,

Hope you don't mind but I'd like to ask your advice again as I'm still hunting for the right boat.

I'm interested in this boat on apollo duck http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=490723

She's just been reduced from £41,000 to £38,000 after being on a few weeks.

In April 2016 she was washed,scraped and hammered the hull and had two coats of Intertuf 16 applied and 4 new anodes fitted as the old ones were at 40%.

She had a hull report performed in April 2016 which showed

"There was rust around the water line and rust scale and lime scale present. There was pitting below the water line on the sides to a depth of 0.5mm, these were in irregular sizes ranging from 5-30mm. There was evidence of zinc phosphate primer. The base plate sacrificial edge dld not appear to be damaged.

Recommendations:Boats with bitumen hull coatings should be blacked every two years".
Your advice is greatly appreciated on what you think of her as you helped me massively last time and avoided me making a fairly big boo boo. I'm new to this, so your experience is invaluable.
Thanks so much for your input, Melissa

She's lovely. wub.png