Basic toilet question

Opener

Featured Posts

Silly question time again.

Part of the list of jobs when leaving the boat for any length of time is to empty the toilet (fairly standard Thetford cassette jobby) and prime it ready for immediate use on our return - might be dark/wet/etc next visit plus I don't want it 'cooking' while I'm away. I tend not to take too much notice of the advice on the additive bottle to add stacks of water with the fluid - just seems counter-intuitive to empty the cassette then put lots of water back in it. But what is in the additive? I realise that the cassette is designed to hold all sorts of nasties but is neat additive going eventually to eat away the plastic? I'm guessing that my priming regime loads the cassette with 50/50 or 75% water/25% to a standard dose of fluid. Should I worry?

Cheers guys,

I use standard Elsan Blue. Just half a capful straight in - it is soon going to get diluted. However, if I am leaving the boat with an empty cassette just fitted, I will leave adding the blue until we return. I believe formaldehyde is the active bacterial agent and this will evaporate off if left uncapped.

Why not empty and rinse the cassette before leaving, then stand the bottle of fluid on the (closed) toilet lid to remind you to charge it again before use? You'll find that even in the dark, but there is no reason I can see why (in an emergency) you shouldn't do your euphemism then put the Elsan fluid (or whatever) in.

Why not empty and rinse the cassette before leaving, then stand the bottle of fluid on the (closed) toilet lid to remind you to charge it again before use? You'll find that even in the dark, but there is no reason I can see why (in an emergency) you shouldn't do your euphemism then put the Elsan fluid (or whatever) in.

That's exactly what we did in both boat and caravan.

I use standard Elsan Blue. Just half a capful straight in - it is soon going to get diluted. However, if I am leaving the boat with an empty cassette just fitted, I will leave adding the blue until we return. I believe formaldehyde is the active bacterial agent and this will evaporate off if left uncapped.

Hmm! I was thinking about chemical action of the additive but had not taken possible evaporation into consideration. I had been thinking along the lines of:

so will probably do that in future

I doubt it would evaporate, the damn thing is supposed to be sealed. I've had my boat 3 years today, it had a pumpout & a porta potti for emergencies. The porta potti has never been used in 3 years, & it is still primed ready for use, ie the stuff hasnt evaporated.