Canal network map for widebeam boats

Reddwarf

Featured Posts

I'm looking at buying a 12ft widebeam hopefully next year. what i'm struggling to find is a map that shows the parts of the network that will take a 12ft boat I've been referring to this map http://newandusedboat.co.uk/canal-network-map.php

But if I'm reading the Collins Nicholson guide right then what is stated as broad on the map still has 10ft wide locks. Is there a canal network map that shows what parts a 12ft wide beam will fit on.

Also while I've been looking for possible marinas a map showing the marinas actual on the canals network map would also seem useful otherwise i find you have to keep trying to switch between canal map and google maps and try and match the two up then go to collins guide to check lock widths or other restrictions.

Any help appreciated

Edited by Reddwarf

You may find this thread helpful: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=87172

I don't think there are that many wide waterways where a 12 foot boat will get stuck (as an exception you won't I think get through the last two locks on the Bedford Ouse). There's been a lot of debate on the forum about how far up the Grand Union you a) can B) should take a wide boat.

http://www.waterwaysworld.com/images/widebeam_map.png

has most of the information on wide canals. The Ribble link onto the Lancaster has a pinch point. Are you looking at the north or south for you boating or maybe planning to do as we did do one and then get lifted out and transported to do the other. The Calder and Hebble although wide is restricted in length to 58ft and above York on the Ouse and Ure to Ripon 60 ft. Headroom is tight on the Stort.

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

http://www.waterwaysworld.com/images/widebeam_map.png

has most of the information on wide canals. The Ribble link onto the Lancaster has a pinch point. Are you looking at the north or south for you boating or maybe planning to do as we did do one and then get lifted out and transported to do the other. The Calder and Hebble although wide is restricted in length to 58ft and above York on the Ouse and Ure to Ripon 60 ft. Headroom is tight on the Stort.

Thanks a more detailed map. As for location I live near the K&A (marina options as a liveaboard seem very limited) but looking for a section of the canal for a 12ft as a liveaboard and looking for a marina ideally something rural but with good facailities at least as a starting point. would love it to have a few miles lock free for easy days out but good connections to cover further a field if the mood takes. so not really limited but geographic location looking for the ideal location, Wide enough, good marina, with nice days boating lock free (or at least not to many to work). suggestion of marinas welcome

Thanks a more detailed map. As for location I live near the K&A (marina options as a liveaboard seem very limited) but looking for a section of the canal for a 12ft as a liveaboard and looking for a marina ideally something rural but with good facailities at least as a starting point. would love it to have a few miles lock free for easy days out but good connections to cover further a field if the mood takes. so not really limited but geographic location looking for the ideal location, Wide enough, good marina, with nice days boating lock free (or at least not to many to work). suggestion of marinas welcome

Do remember that quite a few marinas will let you live on the boat without a residential mooring. The main thing is to never to use the marina as a postal address and maybe to have an address somewhere else (friend or relative). You are then a high use moorer and not a resident. As you want to get out and about quite a bit this option will be even easier than if you did not want to move. I suspect at least one K&A marina would be comfortable with this sort of thing. Downside is no security, if a local resident busy body complains then it can all go very wrong very quickly.

..............Dave

maybe meesage me the name of that marina Daveclapping.gif

Even tonight looking on the internet there doesn't seem to be any simple way of finding suitable marinas that fit the bill. In fact most marinas don't seem that upto date with their website some refering to events on in 2014, and even large marinas don't seem to have any photos of the marina or mooring layouts. trying to find the right marina I don't the think the internet is the bestway.

Suggestions on marinas welcome my initila search will be K&A and Grand union. close to where i live as well as suitable for widebeam. Being a proper residential mooring might be prefered at least initially.

Thanks for any advice.