replacing windows

umpire111

Featured Posts

advice please, time has come to take out and reseal twp windows. want to know the easiest way to do this. Have been told that I need to extract windows, clean. then rub down frame, vactan, primer coats (2?) then pre coat then top coat (3?). When finished that replace windows etc. This will mean putting the boat under cover which may be problematic.

Do I really need to get all those coats onto the body before I can put the windows back in as this will mean at least a weeks work with some days being only an hour or so. Welcome any views or past experience.

In my experience it depends on how much the water has got behind the windows currently to how bad the steel is beneath.

I took mine out last year, 20 years in the boat.

The steel behind was in relatively good nick and it was just in primer!!!!!!

Now you mention a full paint treatment primer to topcoat.

As you say in order to achieve this you need to be undercover which isn't practical, with the windows out as well also not practical.

If u were having new windows fitted by a glazing company (marine one) they would measure up in one day, then the second visit would be to remove and re fit all in one day.

No repaint in there. The reason being if the windows are fitting and sealed correctly very little moisture gets to the paint.

So,

Start early one morning

Remove windows

Clean all the steel behind with degreaser making sure all old silicone is gone as with the windows

Lightly sand under where the window has been and paint in primer

Give this time to dry

Use double paste window tape around the perimeter of the window

Re fit windows

Masking tape up

Silicone windows

Job done

A side of you boat a day maybe depending how many windows you have

• Greenie 1

In my experience it depends on how much the water has got behind the windows currently to how bad the steel is beneath.

As you say in order to achieve this you need to be undercover which isn't practical, with the windows out as well also not practical.

If u were having new windows fitted by a glazing company (marine one) they would measure up in one day, then the second visit would be to remove and re fit all in one day.

No repaint in there. The reason being if the windows are fitting and sealed correctly very little moisture gets to the paint.

So,

Start early one morning

Remove windows

Clean all the steel behind with degreaser making sure all old silicone is gone as with the windows

Give this time to dry

Re fit windows

Masking tape up

Silicone windows

Job done

many thanks thats very useful, what is double paste tape?

If the windows have been siliconed in, you may have difficulty removing them without distorting the frame. The "double paste tape" is a closed cell foam tape with adhesive both sides. Chandlers sell it, just ask for 'window tape' The most silicone you should put on is a thin line over the edge after the windows have been fitted with window tape. Personally I've never bothered, just used the tape and made sure the windows were fitted correctly.

Whether you do all the preparation and painting you outlined is up to you. In an ideal world it might be ok; most people don't bother doing more than a bit of primer possibly with a coat of topcoat over the top. I've used Hammerite Smooth as it goes straight on to the metal and dries quickly, but make sure it is smooth before putting the windows in. The tape will take up small imperfections.

further: I know I will have to replace the wooden battens that the windows are screwed into- can I replace them from the outside or will I need to remove all the internal paneling to access them?

That entirely depends on your particular fitout.

many thnaks, took your advise and did two windows in your timescale of two days! proper job.

So,

Start early one morning
Remove windows

Give this time to dry

Re fit windows
Masking tape up
Silicone windows

Job done