Oil Change - Engine not starting anymore

BoatNoob

Featured Posts

I have first changed the fuel filter (Fram C1191PL) and then did an oil change.

I assumed I screwed up the oil change since it was the first time I did it.

And yes, the video was taken after I changed the oil.

So true - I would fit an agglomerator between tank and lift pump and throw the idiot filter away.

There seems to be some confusion here.

A Fram C1191PL is an agglomerator type fuel filter .... so you may have another fuel filter to bleed

It probably only needs bleeding.

1. find the lift pump. If its mechanical find the priming lever.

2. Look at the first photo. The long copper pipe that runs beside the oil drain pump ends in a banjo union on the injector pump by a small hexagon headed screw with a slot in it. Loosen this screw a few turns.

3. Turn on ignition/ operate priming lever as appropriate until peer fuel and no air bubbles come out of the screw hole.

4 tighten screw.

5. Follow the three blue injector pipes up to the injectors and loosen the large injector unions about half to one turn.

6. Spin engine on starter at full throttle until fuel drips or spits from each union.

7. Tighten unions and the engine should start.

8. If not inspect exhaust while cranking. Only a few wisps of smoke = re-bleed or pus the stop cable back in (you probably do not have a stop cable). Loads of white fumes = you have fuel so the problem is something else.

As above, really. This is the procedure to bleed fuel from the engine and fuel injection system. It won't get ALL the air out but will get most of it out, enough to allow the engine to start and then you can run it at higher-than-idle revs for a little while until its running smoothly.

• Greenie 1

There seems to be some confusion here.

A Fram C1191PL is an agglomerator type fuel filter .... so you may have another fuel filter to bleed

It is also the TYPE fitted to CAV engine fuel filters - look up BMC 1.5 filters. If you look at the photos you will see the bowl on the filter is not large enough for it to be acting as an agglomerator. In fact all filters will agglomerate. I am NOT commenting upon pore size.

I think this is an old marinisation of Mitsubishi by a low production volume outfit.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Very common filter that. Can be used for either. Used extensively on vehicles too up until a short while ago.

I spy with moi liddle oiye Tony what could be the self bleeding pipe from the main injector pump fuel inlet fitting. On top of the fuel pipe banjo is what looks like a hollow thread less nut with probably the wee self bleed pipe brazed into one of its flats, at the back in the photo. The bolt on top with the screw driver slot would of course be long and hollow with holes in to link with the banjo and hollow nut, passing through them both and copper washers and securing the lot. I think I can just see the pipe leading off from the nut at the back. Pipes brazed into the side of hollow thread less nuts are not uncommon.

Indeed, it would be a bit pointless having that hollow nut there if there wasn't a pipe leading off it.

Edited by bizzard

Could be, I interpreted it as the banjo bolt with a bleed screw fitted into the top. I still can't see any sign of a small pipe. Anyway unless the OP posts some more photos there is no way to be sure and it won't affect the outcome to any significant extent apart from making the OPs life a bite easier of you are correct.

Not much point in you and me discussing the finer points of this because it may only serve to complicate matters for the less technically able.

Hi all

Busy day yesterday!

I got some help from Henrik (MotoHen - 07973416622) as I had more than an issue to sort out.

The engine was indeed bleeding and Henrik was patient enough to show me how to prevent this from happening in the future.

Again, thank you all for your input.

Hi all

Busy day yesterday!

I got some help from Henrik (MotoHen - 07973416622) as I had more than an issue to sort out.

The engine was indeed bleeding and Henrik was patient enough to show me how to prevent this from happening in the future.

Again, thank you all for your input.

Get the little filter in the electric fuel pump checked out that I mentioned earlier.

Are you asking if you've inadvertently changed the fuel filter rather than the oil filter? Or saying that during the oil change (hopefully including the filter), you've also changed the fuel filter?

This is a video of a running engine, was it filmed after you changed the oil, therefore the problem is now fixed? Or sometime in the past?

Sounds like air in the diesel fuel lines to me. You need to bleed the filter, and the pipes to the injector pump, then the pump. then the pipes to each injector.