Harecastle tunnel

Benno 1688

Featured Posts

Out for a little cruise from Macclesfiel to Frogall and I had to go through the Harcastle tunnel. I moored up for the night at the kidsgrove overnight with the other boats that were in the que. My boat has an old 1800 bmc engine I have done a lot of work on the engine however it does tend to smoke for the first five minutes from cold. The tunnel keeper came round with the normal instructions and checks. Imagine my surprise when he informed me that I would not be allowed through the tunnel due to my smokey engine. I tried to explain that it would stop once warmed up, but the jobsworth ignored me and carried on with the other boats. I ask him what I should do and he suggested that I turn around. I then asked him to show me the rule that says boats with smoking engines are not allowed into the tunnel, he said that he would ring someone for a second opinion. I rang the Canal and river trust to ask about the smoking engine rule and they informed me that there isn't, one. I told the keeper and said he was waiting for a second opinion. The second opinion was to let me go through first and then let the other boats through ten minutes later. By then my engine had stopped smoking as it always does. I went through the tunnel and carried on my journey when I was passed by a CRT tug called Grayling it smoked so bad it made mine look like it was electric. Moral of the story "people in glass houses should not throw stones"

What a funny approach from the tunnel keeper, the tunnel has huge extractor fans that suck out the fumes, so where is the problem. Some years ago when Ivor Batchelor was the tunnel keeper, we decided to wait overnight on the Kidsgrove side rather than enter the tunnel after about ten former working boats had emerged having filled the tunnel with "heritage" smoke.

There's an interesting story about a steam boat which was refused the use of Harecastle tunnel: this was eventually resolved...

This person sounds like an idiot jobsworth and should not be working for CRT. Many older boats smoke and as David says the tunnel is seriously vented.

Edited by Tiggs

Yeah they can't refuse passage (I know my rights!!) but following a boat with a smoky engine in a tunnel is a complete pain in the arse and makes it basically unpleasant. I dunno why they didn't let you go last though.

Depends which way he was going - the air goes one way through Harecastle with big fans at one end. I can't remember if they suck or blow.

Edited by Tiggs

Depends which way he was going - the air goes one way through Harecastle with big fans at one end. I can't remember if they suck or blow.

They suck from the south end. So putting the smoky boat in first when heading south, or last when heading north, is the way to do it. The problem with the former however, is that when the first boat gets to the south end, they open the doors, and so the fans no longer suck, meaning all the remaining boats are stuck in each other's fug. I was once the last boat heading south behind what must have been several smoky boats, because the time from opening the doors to us finally emerging was pretty unpleasant!

They suck from the south end. So putting the smoky boat in first when heading south, or last when heading north, is the way to do it. The problem with the former however, is that when the first boat gets to the south end, they open the doors, and so the fans no longer suck, meaning all the remaining boats are stuck in each other's fug. I was once the last boat heading south behind what must have been several smoky boats, because the time from opening the doors to us finally emerging was pretty unpleasant!

I've had this when going the other way, towards the back of a long convoy. It was getting pretty nasty when the doors were closed and suddenly the air cleared!

They suck from the south end. So putting the smoky boat in first when heading south, or last when heading north, is the way to do it.

Exactly this, and it makes a lot of sense.

The closest we have come was on a Northbound passage with "Sickle" where we were told that as a "smoky boat" we would be put in last. However the only other boat present had never been through before, and thought they didn't want to be followed by someone likely to be a lot faster, so ultimately the tunnel keeper still put us in first. I'm confident we were out the other end before they were even at the half way point, but whether that was accuse they couldn't see through our smoke I can't possibly say(!)

There is clearly no justification to refuse passage at all for just a smoky engine, (though I have seen passage refused for a non working headlight).

One wonders what makes somebody come up with such nonsense when it's clearly contrary to CRT policy.

Are they bored and just want to inject a bit of interest into their working day, are these types of incidents followed up by CRT management or are their employees just allowed to 'make it up as they go along.

Certainly if it had been someone I was responsible for back in the day we would certainly be having a 'chat' about his attitude.

The air flow is North to South so assuming his motor was still smoking South /North last boat through first boat the other direction

Edited by X Alan W

We went through the tunnel North to South in Rudd a few years ago. The chap on the boat waiting behind us was horrified when we kicked off the Bolinder and insisted on going in front of us because of the smoke!

HeeHee

And we kept up with him.

At one time they used to space the boats out &on the North to South would open/close the doors as each boat arrived at the southern portal bit off putting for inexperienced crews going from dark to daylight & then having this repeated several times

There is clearly no justification to refuse passage at all for just a smoky engine, (though I have seen passage refused for a non working headlight).

The Anderton fleet had some dodgy headlamps fitted, to quote C Atkins snr" Them only work afor breakfast Mondays & Fridays" I can't remember any thing being said or refused passage but I've no doubt the tunnel keepers would have been told in no uncertain terms if passage had been refused

Edited by X Alan W

Whilst in no way justifying or approving of the tunnel keepers action, it may be they are a bit touchy on the subject. We went North to South recently, after quite a wait after north bound boats came out we were first in with our non smokey engine and went the whole way in a blue fug. Just as we entered I half overheard a comment about the fans giving trouble. When I exited I commented on the fumes and was told it was because I was on a smokey boat ( which I'm not). Turning round I could see smoke pouring out of the portal.

This leads me to speculate that there is a problem with the ventilation system.

Top Cat

They suck from the south end. So putting the smoky boat in first when heading south, or last when heading north, is the way to do it.

This is what they do with steam boats.

Going South we go in first, with a head start both to account for going slightly slower (mainly as the fire/draw is reduced) and to allow time to re-close the doors and pull our smoke out ahead of the other boats. North we go last.

As said, while I can understand they are unable to take your word for the engine cleaning up once warm, until it it as been seen to do so, if they where rude without reason than that is not ideal.

It does also sound like they may be having issues with the fans, although I cannot really comment other than that they usually provide quite a significant draft.

Daniel