Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

NEW: Following member feedback, we now have a Mooring & Marina Review forum. Post your review here.

Sign in to follow this  
alan_fincher

Possible Loughborough "Christmas Antidote" Banter This Year?

Loughborough Banter Choices  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these days do you prefer for a banter in Loughborough?

• Thursday 29th December
    • Friday 30th December
    • Saturday 7th January
    • Unfortunately I can't make any of those dates
    • I have no interest in attending the banter on any date
    • Saturday 31st December (New Year's Eve)
    • I can do any of these dates

Featured Posts

I've chosen the Friday 30th for Lemontoes and I but we would be more than happy to extend to Saturday 31st and spend NYE in Loughborough with other like minded folks who choose to do the same thing

I only stumbled across this thread at stupid o'clock this morning having spent far too long away from the forum.

I have taken a punt on the fact that there is always a certain amount of dithering about whether somebody or the other will or won't attend but somehow The Luff Christmas Banter always happens and is ALWAYS enjoyable so I have already been over and booked our Travelodge room for the night of Friday 30th December but - while I was doing it I pondered on what the point was in driving away from lovely friends to spend New Years Eve anywhere else and so I have booked the Travelodge for NYE as well in the hope that just maybe a few of our friends will do the same and we can perhaps find a table in a restaurant or a pub somewhere that we can enjoy the evening together. If others wish to do the same then I will do a bit of research what might be available for NYE or we just use the Travelodge for a Dorm Party icecream.gif

So whether anyone else chooses to join us or not is up to the rest of you but Chesh & Postcode will be in Luff for a banter on 30th and 31st December this year. Only time will tell if this is the first ever billy no-mates banter

I am hoping that Richard can do the magic on sorting out the room for us?

Edited to add - is this "function" the pub has on NYE a ticket event that we can pay for or is it a private function?

Edited by cheshire~rose

I am travelling large mileages with a large propeller in the boot, so not really on top of things.

But I commend the more pro-active approach being taken by others, and it certainly looks like at least December 30h would be far from a "Billy No Mates" event.

Once home I will look at logistics with OH, and hopefully we can make a commitment to that day. We would probably stay on for New Year's Eve as well, but we will confirm.

Onwards to Isleworth, if the prop hasn't been taken by scrap metal thieves in the motorway car park!

smiley_offtopic.gif

.............and I know there will be grimaces from some when I mention this. I don't exactly know whether it is a new thing with Travelodge or whether it is just because I something has changed on my PC but when I went to the site a little flag popped up on my screen suggesting they are an Easyfundraising partner. I use Easyfundraising when I but bits and bats from places like Screwfix or Argos etc and tend to do a click and collect so that it raises a few pennies as I shop. So far all those few pennies I have clicked have added up to almost £80 for Chesterfield Canal Trust and the combined total of all the supporters who use that website to raise funds for CCT have raised £2226 which is not an insignificant sum!

Anyway I booked my Travelodge room and got an email to say £2.94 of what I paid to Travelodge has been donated to CCT.

If anyone else feels they would like to do the same (assuming they do not already use easyfundraising for some other cause) then you simpy visit this link:

https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/chesterfieldct/?q=chesterf&cat=cause-autosuggest

Once you have registered with them you simply start to type travelodge nto the search box and let the website direct you there before you book your room.

I will shut up now - I promise :)

If there is interest in at least a subset of folks staying on for a "post banter" on New Year's Eve, what are people's thoughts on where that might take place, please? I must admit I'm usually traditionally at home that evening, so no idea id all pubs get taken over to the point where conversation is impossible, or whether we might be able to find somewhere that suits, (even if it is by searching out on the night, rather than any pre-planning....).

If there is interest in at least a subset of folks staying on for a "post banter" on New Year's Eve, what are people's thoughts on where that might take place, please? I must admit I'm usually traditionally at home that evening, so no idea id all pubs get taken over to the point where conversation is impossible, or whether we might be able to find somewhere that suits, (even if it is by searching out on the night, rather than any pre-planning....).

My thought was that perhaps the "function" that is planned for the pub we will be in the night before might be a ticket only event which is how most places tend to ensure they get a premium to pay their staff that night (and control numbers on the door)

If that is the case it might be worth enquiring what the ticket price is.

Many pubs will put on a buffet and offer a glass of fizz included in your ticket price. We were planning to book at one near where we moor that are doing tickets at £25 with a buffet but we are unlikely to know anyone there so we would much rather spend the evening in Luff with friends even if we end up having a peaceful meal together earlier in the evening and calling it a night before Big Ben strikes.

Another splendid evening I have had on NYE was when we dropped on a working men's club that had a disco for a £7 ticket price. Not knowing the area I am unsure where might be best but can do a bit of research. I would tend not to rely on finding something on the night - things get booked up that night and even if they have space they tend not to like catering for unplanned extras

I suspect finding a "quiet" pub may be a challenge though and that is why I suggested a restaurant.

These threads usually get periodically updated with a list of attendees once a date or two consecutive dates are decided on. Richard suggested the pub can't do New Years Eve because they have a function on so I think that means the Friday is the next most popular day?

Shall I bite the bullet and start a list and perhaps Alan or Richard would be happy to update it as names are added?

The poll shows 6 votes for the Friday plus 3 for any day, implying at least 9 so far. Scrolling through this thread it looks like the following are confirmed. Please can anyone else coming give their CWDF names and any plus ones?

------------------------------------------

Friday 30th December banter:

Alan Fincher & Catrin

Richard T

Wrigglefingers

Barry & Lemontoes

Cheshire Rose & Postcode

Dyad

Tree Monkey & BSP

Chazzy

LoneWolf and John V(tbc)

It's looking doubtful that i'll make it now

I'm in if it's on the 30th.

It's looking doubtful that i'll make it now

:(

On the other hand. I'm in if it's on the 30th

I'm in if it's on the 30th.

:(

On the other hand. I'm in if it's on the 30th

Be a shame to miss you LG but on the other hand cool if you can make it Rob

... If others wish to do the same then I will do a bit of research what might be available for NYE or we just use the Travelodge for a Dorm Party icecream.gif...

Excellent, we'll bring the melodeons then...

Excellent, we'll bring the melodeons then...

Jan could bring her Bhodran too

I could bring my bottle top rolling pin for a bit of extra percussion

To avoid confusion could mods now close this thread, so people can only post in the one Richard has detailed above.

(I have reported my post to request this).

Edited by alan_fincher