Gu steering gear

BWM

Featured Posts

I am unsure what the correct name for the disc shaped item at the base of the swans neck is, but would like to straighten it up. It seems to be very tightly fitted but I didn't want to try levering it off in case of damage. Would be grateful for any advice.

I have also noticed after cleaning many layers of paint off, amongst many letters that are hard to make out the word Northwich is is visible. Were a lot of these castings done at yarwoods for grand union boats built elsewhere, or is it more likely to have been fitted at a later stage? (Hawkesbury is a Woolwich built boat)

Stuart

post-23974-0-79678600-1474358718_thumb.jpg

post-23974-0-93680100-1474358742_thumb.jpg

I am unsure what the correct name for the disc shaped item at the base of the swans neck is, but would like to straighten it up. It seems to be very tightly fitted but I didn't want to try levering it off in case of damage. Would be grateful for any advice.

I have also noticed after cleaning many layers of paint off, amongst many letters that are hard to make out the word Northwich is is visible. Were a lot of these castings done at yarwoods for grand union boats built elsewhere, or is it more likely to have been fitted at a later stage? (Hawkesbury is a Woolwich built boat)

Stuart

It's called the 'collar', it's cast iron, it sits in the top of the 'ellum tube', and what you are calling the "swan's neck" is the 'ram's head'.

A 'swan's neck' is an item of decorative ropework, only to be found on butty's 'ellums'.

The collar in the photo's looks too small [on the OD] for the ellum tube, which won't be the original, and it's sitting offset to one side, . . . probably jammed in with a packer of some sort. I would leave well alone, . . . until it really has to come out for some reason.

The ellum tube has definitely been replaced along with the underside of the counter. I assumed that it was a casting hence my caution in methods of removal..

Edited by BWM

It should say Yarwoods Northwich on the collar ,they are on Joshers that were built at Yarwoods as well

It does, i've cleaned a little more paint off and can just make it out.

Indeed things get swapped about.

Many years ago Alton and Corona swapped Rams Heads when in dock together.

George ex nb Alton retired

I used to work for the underground in a depot and things often got swapped from one train to another if it meant getting one back into service.

I was told getting the correct diameter tube to fit Yarwoods collars (maybe Woolwich the same?) was difficult, so the mis-fit is a result of compromise.

The tube appears to have had some additional metal welded to the inside so that makes sense, do you know if the collar is a straight forward push fit or lugged, similar to a car radiator cap?

Good question. I never did get mine off - too tight. I'm guessing it's an interference fit or wedged in somehow. I'm sure someone will know for certain.

Should be only a push fit (!)

Thanks, if its a push fit i'll give it a try with some gentle persuasion.

Edited by BWM

I would persuade it with a strap or chain wrench, easing it one way then the other. Might have to take the Z bar or as some will have it - rams head off. Of the latter Woolwich ones are usually round (as yours) and Northwich square.

I'm hoping to reposition it without removing the rams head as there seems to be a bit of room to work with.

I had a similar design on a modern (80s) west midlands built Nb. The block (effectively a large plain bearing machined from steel on my boat) just lifted off once the "rams neck" had been removed.

It was very heavy and a bit of a finger trapping hazard

Because it had been rattling I put a bit of leather round it when I dropped it back in the elum tube which made it a bit more snug.

I had a similar design on a modern (80s) west midlands built Nb. The block (effectively a large plain bearing machined from steel on my boat) just lifted off once the "rams neck" had been removed.

It was very heavy and a bit of a finger trapping hazard

Because it had been rattling I put a bit of leather round it when I dropped it back in the elum tube which made it a bit more snug.

Tawny's used to be like that too, until we had a more modern bearing fitted.

Richard

On each of our Yarwoods/Northwich boats, the collar is, from memory, a fairly loose fit. However on at least one of those the tube is, I'm sure, not original.

That's good to know, I guess if the fit is too tight rust will begin to weld them together in that environment. Thanks

Ours was about four inches long

Richard

Thanks Richard, it had started to look endless! Looks like I might have to remove the rams head after all, don't suppose that will be easy - it's very solid in spite of the fact that the retaining nut is hovering above it..