Thetford oven slow to heat

mross

Featured Posts

IMHO

Thetford should have stuck to making toilets !!!

I wouldnt buy a fridge or cooker by them personally !

Apologies to the OP as this was totaly unhelpful - but just had to say !

You could always make sure the burner is clear all along ( found a very dead chip in ours last time lol !!) but I suspect it's 'just the way they are !'

I had this problem with my Vannette oven. It used to work then it stopped getting up to temp.

I eventually found some of that calor gas gloop residing in the supply pipe near the oven inlet. After clearing it out the oven now has the opposite problem, it gets too hot. To get say regulo 5 temp, I have to set it to Regulo 3.

So to the OP, is this a recent problem or has it never worked from new?

In my case it never worked from new but the Vanette it replaced was fine. The flame size and intensity on the Thetford looks as I would expect it to so I suspect its the design. I think it has an over large hole in the back and from memory its about half way up the oven so it would explain why the lower parts do not get so hot. I also think it is designed to go into a moulded housing as per a lot of caravan stuff. Again from memory the instructions talk about a 1" 25mm hole in the bottom of the housing. I suspect on many boats such a housing as is used may allow too much oven ventilation

The outside gets very hot, so I suspect it has no insulation. On paper it looks good because the oven is quite large. I'm going to check the actual temperature when my manager is out shopping! I have an accurate thermometer and will see how it varies top to bottom. It's a shame as it was brand new, unused, when we bought the boat last year.

It's a shame as it was brand new, unused, when we bought the boat last year.

I'm in the same boat (sorry!) in terms of brand new, unused when we bought our boat. Seems a shame to chuck it, doesn't it, but even when you get over that (as I have) nowt else fits in the space so it's impossible to replace it without major changes. I've added an extra shelf so we now have hot/warm/tepid positions instead of just H&C!

I think Tony may be right about the vent too - mine is susceptible to 'flame lift' and there's nothing otherwise amiss to cause it.

I think Tony may be right about the vent too - mine is susceptible to 'flame lift' and there's nothing otherwise amiss to cause it.

They're VERY sensitive to gas pressure. Ours was cured of flame lift by replacing the regulator, the old one was very slightly high, but not enough to have an noticable effect on any other appliance.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

They're VERY sensitive to gas pressure. Ours was cured of flame lift by replacing the regulator, the old one was very slightly high, but not enough to have an noticable effect on any other appliance.

MP.

Thanks for sharing that MP. I've tried a new regulator and it didn't improve but, if it's that sensitive, maybe I should try a genuine Calor one instead of a generic Chinese job from A.N.Other chandlers.