Bridgewater Gestapo Tactics

Glynn

Featured Posts

Oh dear, a calm voice of non-confrontation, just as we were all buying our bags of popcorn and settling back. Mr. Watch, sometimes you have no consideration. We haven't had a decent two-bag barney on CWF for donkey's ages.

Edited by Athy

its not acceptable to be sticking a camera to photograph the interior of a boat

yet you argue that it ok because its a boat on the canal

For clarity....

Taking a picture of a canal boat, on a canal: okay

Putting the camera up to the window and photographing the interior: not okay

Its clear to see you're the one twisting the argument (I have no idea why......) I can't see any point in trying to debate with you when you fail to comprehend things properly.

I understand you made a statement that in your opinion photographs can be taken through the windows of a boat as the boat is in a public place , can I ask if you are willing to walk along a stretch of canal and take say fifty pics through boat windows that have people aboard and report back with the reactions of the occupants when you tell them you will do as you like because it a public place

I understand you made a statement that in your opinion photographs can be taken through the windows of a boat as the boat is in a public place , can I ask if you are willing to walk along a stretch of canal and take say fifty pics through boat windows that have people aboard and report back with the reactions of the occupants when you tell them you will do as you like because it a public place

See #103

As an official, explaining what he is doing, asking nicely and remaining polite: OK

Barging about as if he owned the canal, being rude and threatening, and refusing to explain: not OK.

If it happens again, ask politely for an explanation and identity, if not forthcoming phone 101.

Will somebody please explain what is so bloody difficult about that?

Yes fair enough , fact is this year I may have made one trip into Manchester because the antics of this sonny character , camera or not he seems to be out and about looking for confrontation which I just cant be bothered with .

Dunno Mike, but it's two whole keystrokes fewer than typing 'no.' !

Some folk are just lazy, I suppose.

A valid point for the indolent, yes - but I assume that its origins lie in the handwritten word, in which it requires four strokes!

...and, indeed, see no.102.

As an aside, the use of a noughts-and-crosses board to signify "number" is spreading. It is, I think, of American origin - but how did it start?

It's called a 'hash' symbol AIUI.

And yes I bleeve its American in origin.

It's called a 'hash' symbol AIUI.

And yes I bleeve its American in origin.

It's called a hash on a telephone key pad, yes, but this is a modern development. It was in existence for many years before that. I don't know who AIUI are so I can't comment.

So does N O (plus a period).

No. Well, it depends on your definition of a stroke - You need to lift your pen from the paper three times to write the "hash" symbol, but only once to write "no.", assuming that you are using joined-up writing.

I first American across it in an American motoring magazine in the early 60'series. As stated earlier it was an alternative for "No." (Number).

Yes, as mentioned in post no.107. I think I first encountered it in an American context too; possibly in a magazine (war comics?) or on the label of an American-pressed record.

EDIT: possibly in 1966 when CBS issued a Bob Dylan record called "Rainy Day Women # 12 & 35".

Edited by Athy

I do hope he can swim!

It's all about the threat level isn't it? We've had tourists taking photos of the boat, even climbing on the boat for the purpose, and been either mildly amused or mildly annoyed, depending on mood, but nothing else.

But the scrote who climbed on the gunwale and peered in through the Houdini whilst Sheila was getting ready for bed was alarming and was reported to the police. Similarly, a patrol officer taking a photo of the boat to record its location, fair enough, but not through the window of my home, thank you. ISTR, there's been a statement that a liveaboard boater has the same rights to use reasonable force to defend his home as someone living in bricks and mortar.

We once had a guy taking photos of our newly built bungalow in Mid Wales and then scarpering when Sheila went out to challenge him. She reported him to the police who took it very seriously indeed, mainly because we happened to have the same surname as the then CinC Wales and this was during the Irish Troubles. They treated it as what we'd now call actions preparatory to terrorism which embarrassed the guy severely as he was taking the photos for the Estate Agent selling other bungalows on the same mini-development.

In the present case, I would certainly have reported this guy on 101 and followed up with emails to Peel and CRT.

Edited by BruceinSanity

Oh dear, a calm voice of non-confrontation, just as we were all buying our bags of popcorn and settling back. Mr. Watch, sometimes you have no consideration. We haven't had a decent two-bag barney on CWF for donkey's ages.

Decent barneys are now forbidden since the CULL.

Phil

Having transited the Bridgewater canal three times this year, between May and July stopping twice in Lymm over different weekends, and a one night and a two night stop in Castleford I would just like to say we had great times on the canal, didn't see this character and had no trouble so it's not all gloom and doom.

• Greenie 1

Yep. Have a greeno for basic common sense.

Plus another.

Having transited the Bridgewater canal three times this year, between May and July stopping twice in Lymm over different weekends, and a one night and a two night stop in Castleford I would just like to say we had great times on the canal, didn't see this character and had no trouble so it's not all gloom and doom.

Just come off the Bridgewater this afternoon. Always enjoy it on there.

As an official, explaining what he is doing, asking nicely and remaining polite: OK

Barging about as if he owned the canal, being rude and threatening, and refusing to explain: not OK.

If it happens again, ask politely for an explanation and identity, if not forthcoming phone 101.

Will somebody please explain what is so bloody difficult about that?

clapping.gif

Greenie for that.