Warwick to Foxton Locks

Angienarrowboater

Featured Posts

Many thanks! Leaving from Warwick for a leisurely trip, so grateful for the headsup. Can you recommend a great route for six days? Would love to do a tunnel and some flights of locks if possible. We spent a week last October on the Leicester Soar and loved it!! Some of the locks were heavy going for OAPs but we did enjoy ourselves.

If by six days you mean a seven night hire it is achievable but it probably wouldn't fit a description of leisurely. Personally though I consider all narrow boating to be leisurely; it's just a case of how long you want to boat for on any given day.

Canal Plan says 50 hours which is a full seven day trip but by no means excessive. For instance the Warwickshire ring is 60 hours and that would be done as a one week trip routinely from Kate Boats.

A couple of years ago we did a four night Mon - Fri hire from Kate Boats at Stockton as a family of four with kids aged 6 and 11 that went like this;-

Mon - pick up boat at 1400 after lunch at Blue Lias; cruise to Braunston top lock and moor at 1930

Tue - to Crick for lunch and then to Welford for evening meal and overnight. 8-9 hours cruising

Wed - to top of Foxton late morning then straight down locks. Had lunch but then had to wait for another three hours due to number of boats (previous weekend had been historic gathering). Cruised until quite late (but still limited by daylight in mid-April) and moored somewhere after Welford Arm branch. Probably no more than 7 hours actual cruising.

Thu - back through Watford and Braunston to Napton bottom lock; winded; moored and went to the Folly Inn. 10 hours cruising.

Fri - two hours back to Stockton

So I would say if that's where you want to go then do it. It's certainly a very interesting and mixed route. I would advise going to Welford in at least one direction as it is worth taking a trip down the arm and it also breaks up the very long pound between Watford and Foxton. When you get to Foxton you could save time by winding at the top and walking down to visit but having got there I think you will want to go through the locks. Passage is less than one hour but there is always a risk you will have to wait.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Have just done the Leicester.

We left Braunston jn. at 9.15am Sunday, arrived Watford bottom lock at 1pm and had to wait 1 3/4 hours. Moored for night at 7pm between bridges 28/29 nr Yelvertoft.

Started again at 11.10am, arriving at Foxton top lock at 2.45pm. 2 hour wait to go down. moored for night at bottom at 5.30 pm.

So in total, Braunston Jn to Bottom of Foxton locks is about 12 hours cruising + any waiting time at Watford and Foxton.

Edited by Mantaray

The "problem" in starting from Warwick is that it is in the Avon valley, and you have 23 locks either side to get out of the valley, so it is not great for a short out and back trip, hence lots do the Warwickshire ring when starting there, as it is the same as starting anywhere on the ring if you see what I mean. It is the location of Warwick with the locks that is why Kate Boats also have a base at Stockton Top marina, which is where the short break boats as based from. As Captain Pegg has illustrated Foxton from Stockton is perfectly do'able, but I would say the additional 40 locks you would have to do the same trip from Warwick makes it too much for a hire week, unless you really want to go for it!

By 11 October sunrise is at 7.30am and sunset 6.30pm so you will only have 10 - 11 hours of daylight. Not that you'd want to be boating for 10 hours every day! We tend to find 5 to 6 hours a day is about right if you're wanting to relax.

If leaving from Kate Boats in Warwick, i'd suggest the limits in each direction would be:

South Stratford - Wilmcote (32 hours and 90 locks, including Hatton flight) It's a very rural canal and very pretty!

North Stratford - Alvechurch (35 hours and 86 locks, including Hatton and Lapworth flights and Wast Hill Tunnel) Slightly less rural but still very pleasant!

or Gas Street, Birmingham (35 hours and 86 locks but no tunnel, or try the Warwickshire ring if you really want to push it!) Can't get much less rural than Birmingham City Centre but loads of history!

South Oxford - Cropredy (36 hours and 80 locks, including Stockton and Napton fights) Again very rural!

North Oxford - Sutton Stop (40 hours and 54 locks, including Stockton flight)

Grand Union Leicester Line (already covered by others but Crick is probably as far as you could hope to get - 35 hours and 72 locks, including Stockton, Braunston and Watford flights and Braunston and Crick Tunnels)

Grand Union - Gayton Junction (35 hours and 72 locks, Stockton, Braunston and Buckby flights and Braunston Tunnel).

I'd suggest you look them all up on canal plan or in the guides if you ave them and see what you think will suit you the best. Also at that time of year the weather may be variable so I'd keep an eye on the weather forecasts and by doing an out and back trip you can just see how far you get to at the half way point and then turn around and head back.

I find 10 or 11 hours a day is still relaxing as it takes your mind of everything else and tires you out nicely so you get a good night's sleep. I know it's not for everyone but it is possible to find long days as good as short ones for unwinding, especially if boating (rather than watching tv/sightseeing etc) is what you love most in the world.

• Greenie 3

I find 10 or 11 hours a day is still relaxing as it takes your mind of everything else and tires you out nicely so you get a good night's sleep. I know it's not for everyone but it is possible to find long days as good as short ones for unwinding, especially if boating (rather than watching tv/sightseeing etc) is what you love most in the world.

Absolutely. You don't get to see the canal network by rushing; you just have to keep on keeping on. There is a very big difference. Personally I wouldn't even think twice about whether this proposal is achievable. I would just set the plan to do it and understand what my contingency options around foreseeable delays. In reality in mid-October there are unlikely to be any. There is also very little than can happen that isn't simply alleviated by either starting early and/or running late for a day. I would almost certainly aim for Market Harborough, include an overnight stop the preceding night at Welford and make a detour to the Folly Inn on the way back.

I have no doubt it would be worth the effort. If a long day of cruising between Foxton and Watford locks doesn't relax you then nothing will.

JP

• 1 month later...

Does Rugby Wharf still hire boats out. This is a good point to depart for Foxton

Yes; it's a Viking base which is now part of the ABC group. It's quite possible there are Alvechurch boats to be hired from there as well that are a better spec than Viking; albeit with a comparable additional cost. Kate Boats are also at Stockton Top which is very similar in terms of time to Foxton. A leisurely weeks cruise or an intensive midweek short break.

Looking back at the original request the holiday was last week. Perhaps we will get a report on whether they made it to Foxton.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg