What size boat is best for single-handed use

Toby knight

Featured Posts

It all depends on how deep your pockets are, the bigger the boat higher the price to a degree. i have a 58' boat, 1st boat have had it for 10 years am single-handed. get biggest you can afford. you will learn how to handle with use.

Hello all, could I please ask for peoples comments what size boat, they think a single-handed inexperienced user should consider

I'd say given an inexperienced user rapidly changes into an experienced one, buy whatever size boat fits your space needs/pocket depth.

Halcyon is my first boat, had her for almost 3 years now, she is 36 feet long.

I would say have everything inside that you want, Halcyon has a living room with a multi-fuel stove, one seat turns into a good single bed. Next comes a small, but well equipped galley. Next is the shower room and finally the bedroom with a fixed double bed.

A friend has a 55 foot boat with the same layout, all he has is bigger spaces.

The other good thing with a 36 foot boat, it goes anywhere and turns in the width of many canals.

Kevin

I also don't think length is much of a consideration from the single-handing perspective. I bought a 60ft with very little experience and have found it no problem. The only thing I would not (yet) feel comfortable with is single-handing in a lock where the boat is maximum length since I like to keep away from the gates.

Hello all, could I please ask for peoples comments what size boat, they think a single-handed inexperienced user should consider

The boat in my sure link in my signature (also called Halycon) is also my first boat and I can handle this quite nicely single handed. Get a boat that talks to you when you see it!

In saying that it's nice to have a boat that's not the full length of the lock, I'm 50ft on locks that usual range from 57 to 62, it's nice to have that extra play.

As others said go for the size of boat that suits your pockets as much as anything. One comment is that larger boats are easier to handle in locks than smaller ones.

With regards to experience, I would recommend doing a couple of courses before setting off such as the RYA helmsman and the Diesel engine course as both will give you some basic knowledge and experience which will be a great start to your adventure!

I also don't think length is much of a consideration from the single-handing perspective. I bought a 60ft with very little experience and have found it no problem. The only thing I would not (yet) feel comfortable with is single-handing in a lock where the boat is maximum length since I like to keep away from the gates.

I agree that length is not really an issue but to handle it properly you should be against / close to the appropriate gate anyway. Pulled forward when going up or down. In narrow locks pull forward onto the cill plate (or tick-over onto it) when going up, and pulled onto bottom gates when going down as soon as the bow has cleared the top of the gates.

So Toby, if you want a 70 ft boat just get someone to show you how to single hand it properly. But you really need to do this anyway; there are more issues than this.

Edited by Tiggs

I agree that length is not really an issue but to handle it properly you should be against / close to the appropriate gate anyway. Pulled forward when going up or down. In narrow locks pull forward onto the cill plate (or tick-over onto it) when going up, and pulled onto bottom gates when going down as soon as the bow has cleared the top of the gates.

I have seen too many pictures of boats getting stuck on gates and pulled under :( I try to control with line from the top to keep away and so far that has worked out fine. I only open paddles carefully to avoid great big surges.

I have seen too many pictures of boats getting stuck on gates and pulled under sad.png I try to control with line from the top to keep away and so far that has worked out fine. I only open paddles carefully to avoid great big surges.

If it works for you Lizzy then fine. There are things to do to ensure you don't get stuck on certain gates - depends which canal / river you are on, but the biggest risk is drifting back onto the cill going down so I would always go down close to the bottom gates, with a rope preventing drift back. The boat will not get stuck when it has cleared the top of them. There are so many issues single handling that I would advise anyone getting training on it. Going up boats get stuck under the top of the gate sometimes - 70ft boats won't sink in this case, they will lift the lock gate off!

Wide locks in certain places have the beams on their gates and you need to keep the boat away from these obviously. Single handling in wide locks add a whole load of other issues; but again I don't think boat length is a problem (unless you are trying 60ft narrowboats in certain 57ft wide locks - again other issues.

And yes, single handling, don't race the paddles open - and what's more don't let people who come and want to "help" do this while you are handling the ropes.

Edited by Tiggs

I'd second this. My boat is 68ft and at even only 3ft shorter than max, I find it significantly easier to look after and handle in a lock than a full length boat.

Spelling ejit.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I remember the first time I took Avalon out on my own. I say take out it was more of a move. I was crap. Now this year I have single handed my 60ft x 12ft WBNB on French waterways which admitidly have lock keepers or auto locks for over 100 hours without issue. In fact I think I prefer it to wife assistance.

I think the answer to your question is there is no shortcut to experience. All the hard stuff is the same whatever size boat you have certainly on the UK waterways. Just get the boat you fancy then learn to handle it.

One point I have to make though is single handing is very physical. If you are not fit and agile and resourceful it could be a strain

When we was looking for our boat we was going to buy a new 35 ft one but got a 2003 57ft one. We just thought in a few yrs time we would want a bigger one so why not go the full hog. My only experience before was a small day boat for a few days.

A year later I'm pleased I got the bigger one we've been out quite a few times with teenagers to help but taken it out just the two off us a few times. The wife do t like steering so I do it single handed. Our canal don't have locks so I can get lots off boat handling practice in. My main problem I find is getting it back into the pontoons in the marina.

I haven't done much single handing (though a bit more planned soon) but I feel more comfortable with my big beast than I would have done with any of our previous smaller boats. This might be partly because I know it better, but also because it does what it's told and stays where I put it (usually). This might be more a feature of its design than its size though.

I second or third the comments about staying forward in locks. It's the safest place to be especially if you're not on the boat. And if you're on the bank working the paddles then you're in control and can drop them if anything did catch, which is very unlikely if you're sensible.

To be fair and unselfish towards your fellow boaters the boat length to persons on it ratio should be as follows.

1 person=30' to 35' long.

2 people= 35' to 40'.

3 people= 40' to 45'.

4 people= 45' to 50'.

5 people= 50' to 55'

6 people= 55' to 60'

7 people= 60' to 65'.

8 people= 65' to 70

8.1/2 to 11,3/4 people=70' to 72'.

This is mainly to make it fair for mooring spaces, shortish moorings, especially short pub moorings where one long boat can hog the whole spot while its one lonely owner sits in the pub supping half of larger whilst all the short boats crammed full with big spenders have to go sailing by. This happens a lot. The pub mooring spots should have a sentry box with a normus great brute of a guard in it who's duty is to measure boats and examine and to cross examine the drivers of boats over 35' long as to how many on board, and examine their wallets as to how much money they're likely spend. if the ratio of pesons to a boat is less than my on my list, then its ''on yer bike buster'' like the advert.

Its a similar situation with cars. How often do you see dirty great 4x4's, big Merc's, big BMW'S, big Audi's ect with more than just one lonely person in it. init. Compared with nice little family cars like the size of KA's heaving full of folk, with kids yelling out for pop and crisps. ''generally the big spenders''. closedeyes.gifunsure.pngsmile.png

Edited by bizzard