Owner or not selling on ebay

Mendip-Locks

Featured Posts

Me and my Great Leader looked at this boat when we first were looking, it was moored 'off piste' somewhere near the Dudley No 2 canal, was in a fairly rough state then and had an extraordinary double bed in the back cabin which was raised up to ceiling height when not in use by 4 electric motors. It had the potential to be a great boat and I bid 20000 but rather fortunately this was not accepted. It seems that it is one of those boats that doesn't have much luck.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

Go to work come back and there is 26 replies! Great forum this with nice folk contributing. Thanks to Athy and Bigste for confirming she is a legitimate seller as far as it goes.

I reckon if I got offered £20,000 for it by PaddingtonBear I would of shook your hand off!

I guess we can assume the reserve is around 20k then I do normally ask not many are prepared to say in my experience.

I'll be watching with interest.

seen this one for sale myself & did not like the wording in the advert. But did laff at the T&C's as some sellers don't realize that ending a listing early on Ebay with bids on it will incur fees, as this was the case with a Narrowboat seller last week who ended the listing early with 17k worth of bids on it, bet that was a big surprize for them when Ebay billed them on the 17k bids it already had....Outch!

I had heard Sarah B was selling locally, and the photos have been taken outside barrow boating yard, so I'm guessing that's part of the story. She has perhaps sold to someone local who realised it was sitting unused, and who is now selling it on? Just a possible theory.

Perhaps she discovered it and bought it for renovation. She has lots of eBay brownie points, suggesting that this is not a fly-by-night dishonest seller.

It doesn't look a bad boat, reputable builder and interesting engine.

I agree, this is more likely.

As said, looks a nice little boat.

Daniel

I agree, this is more likely.

As said, looks a nice little boat.

Daniel

The odd thing is still selling it on ebay. People expect a bargain on ebay. Placing it with the type of broker who get top money e.g. ABNB or Rugby Boats would seem a much better way of selling a good boat.

The odd thing is still selling it on ebay. People expect a bargain on ebay. Placing it with the type of broker who get top money e.g. ABNB or Rugby Boats would seem a much better way of selling a good boat.

Spot on Mike it's the reason I spend my time looking there, and yes appears a good boat that a broker could get enough for to cover the cut they would take, puzzling now you have pointed that out.

Go to work come back and there is 26 replies! Great forum this with nice folk contributing. Thanks to Athy and Bigste for confirming she is a legitimate seller as far as it goes.

I reckon if I got offered £20,000 for it by PaddingtonBear I would of shook your hand off!

I guess we can assume the reserve is around 20k then I do normally ask not many are prepared to say in my experience.

I'll be watching with interest.

That was 10 years or so ago and it was a bit of a fire sale as the then owner had moved off the canal because he was seriously ill. He might have been a wergie as well. It was then very poorly fitted out with all the wiring just twisted together etc although everything worked as far as I could determine. Drove back home and looked on Apollo Duck as soon as we got back and saw Warrior and some of you know all the rest :)

That was 10 years or so ago and it was a bit of a fire sale as the then owner had moved off the canal because he was seriously ill. He might have been a wergie as well. It was then very poorly fitted out with all the wiring just twisted together etc although everything worked as far as I could determine. Drove back home and looked on Apollo Duck as soon as we got back and saw Warrior and some of you know all the rest :)

Ah 10 years ago, right that's different but 20k then was what 30k in boat prices today? And it was in worse nic! Wonder what he ended up getting for it!

12,100 now 4 days to go and reserve not met it might make 18 to 20k and that might be over the reserve! Will sell cheaply if so.

Not so. See my post number 10.

Sorry if there has been a misunderstanding. At the time of writing, I should have made it clear that I was referring to the absence of Q's and A's shown on the eBay page. There area 7 bids at the moment but the Q & A box is still blank.

Thanks for the info you have given here, but if your question was sent to eBay then it has not been listed.

Sorry if there has been a misunderstanding. At the time of writing, I should have made it clear that I was referring to the absence of Q's and A's shown on the eBay page. There area 7 bids at the moment but the Q & A box is still blank.

Thanks for the info you have given here, but if your question was sent to eBay then it has not been listed.

I see. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the machinations of eBay to understand why my query and its response did not show up. Perhaps a seller can delete them if they so wish?

Seller can choose to show a question and answer or not. I wouldn't normally have them show on a BIN item as ad itself can be easily edited. Auction items are different though but you can still add info to the advert. I'm of the opinion that although history of this boat may be convoluted it is in all probability entirely above board. Seller may understandably not want info online that will only need to be made known to the winning bidder.

When you answer a question on eBay about something you are selling you have to tick a box that puts the question and response onto the listing, it does not do it as default.

Technology has beaten me yet again, thanks for the explanation, Dave.

Seller can choose to show a question and answer or not. I wouldn't normally have them show on a BIN item as ad itself can be easily edited. Auction items are different though but you can still add info to the advert. I'm of the opinion that although history of this boat may be convoluted it is in all probability entirely above board. Seller may understandably not want info online that will only need to be made known to the winning bidder.

Thanks for the explanation - and Dave.

Logical when you think about it.

It would be interesting to know the reserve price.

I am not bidding, but personally I do not like reserve price auctions.when the reserve value is not given.

The seller can put it in 'Buy it Now' to avoid a bidding war.

Thanks for the explanation - and Dave.

Logical when you think about it.

It would be interesting to know the reserve price.

I am not bidding, but personally I do not like reserve price auctions.when the reserve value is not given.

The seller can put it in 'Buy it Now' to avoid a bidding war.

I have never used ebay but the problem I see (assuming it is anything like an ordinary auction) is if you make your reserve the buy now price you will almost certainly get no more than the buy now figure. A reserve has in my experience been the least you are prepared to sell for and by not declaring it hope to get higher than the reserve or of course not sell.

If I sell on ebay,I make the starting price the reserve. No point in trying to hide the reserve. Make it a genuine auction with the item on sale from the first bid. Sometimes people put a start of 99p because the listing fee is cheaper. I once sold a Rolls Royce differential to a man from Rumania.for 99p. He came and collected it and gave me a bottle of wine as a bonus.

I once listed a broken dishwasher on ebay for a laugh, starting price 1p.

To my amazement it attracted one bid, and sold for 1p.

To my even greater amazment the buyer actually turned up in a van to get it! He forgot to pay me the 1p though....

I once listed a broken dishwasher on ebay for a laugh, starting price 1p.

To my amazement it attracted one bid, and sold for 1p.

To my even greater amazment the buyer actually turned up in a van to get it! He forgot to pay me the 1p though....

He stole it from under your nose then. You could go to small claims. Edited by Nightwatch

He stole it from under your nose then. You could go to small claims.

Yes. Otherwise my bank balance is going to be 1p lower than it would otherwise have been for the REST OF MY LIFE. The thieving bar steward.

Had an email from ebay last night saying reserve reduced,

14K now 1 day 10hrs to go says reserve still not met.

Hang on, what's the point of a reserve price if it's public? The whole point of having one is to get bidding going at a low price then hopefully bidding momentum gets it up to over the reserve. If bidding just opens at the reserve, everyone just sits in the room looking around at everyone else, not bidding.