Going boat hunting - need marinas to google please

Amber34

Featured Posts

Him who holds the wallet has seen a boat he rather likes the look of at Devizes Marina, so we're off for a look on Saturday.

Are there other marinas with boat sales within reasonable distance of Devizes? We'll be heading round the M25 and down the M4 from SE London so anything en route or beyond would be good.

I have spotted a boat that might be worth a look at Saul Junction Marina, but struggling to find other options.

TIA

I'd say apolloduck although there have been murmurings that it is not that effective.

Mariana UK brings up an investment firm for me.

Another option is looking in the back of Waterways World in WHSmith, noting the names of brokerages who do full page adverts then Google them. I have not surfed a magazine in WHSmith for about 30 years but with modern phones with little spy cameras it must be pretty cool :)

Now

All say together

" just don't go to ******* " :rolleyes:

VCMarine is on your route (close to M4 slough)

Edited by magnetman

Its probably better to find marinas in your local area, rather than be given a list of marinas some of which I bet are quite some distance away. Then you could visit those marinas and browse. Once you have seen a number of boats and develop an idea of what you like/are after, then by all means then start seeking specific boats and don't be so worried about the distance away.

How about Hilperton Marina at Trowbridge. You could also try Aldermaston Wharf. If you google ABC boats they have a list of boat sales and where they are I think they have a couple of boats for sale at Hilperton and Aldermaston. You could try Frouds bridge Matina near Aldermaston but it is up for sale at the moment and the manger has left I think they are not brokering any boats at the moment. I don't think there are any marinas who hold boats on brokerage west to Trowbridge. There is an advanced search button on Apollo duck where you can search for boats by county which could be helpful. Not sure what you are after but there is a boat for private sale in Pewsey with a mooring which may be of interest?

• Greenie 1

We monitored brokers on-line, and had an 'overnighter' to visit boats of interest.

You may find boats are priced cheaper the further north you go.

I would recommend Rugby boat sales and Abnb but there are many others.

I wish you joy in your search.

Rog

I would advise to revise your boat search because good decent boats at proper prices right now are like rocking horse dung.

Reputable Brokers that i know of are

ABNB

Rugby Boats

Spending time looking around Marina's randomly in person would be a waste of time in my view if you want a nice boat look online from a sofa and the right boat will jump out of the screen catching your eye.

Always get a survey.

I wont post negative comments on some of the Marina/Broker Sales we have viewed but most boats were well used/misused and extremely over priced.

After 14 month's of using the forum and all the help we recieved we ended up buying our boat privately off appolloduck. (Unqestionable Provenance)

Over the moon.

All the best.

• Greenie 1

Don't you start too. Xmas menus on all the tables in the pub tonight, and its still more than three months away!!!!

P.S. I got your joke but chose not to pass comment wink.png

You just have.

I used to know a pub in Surrey where Christmas was celebrated in June or July, complete with tree, tinsel and all the usual paraphernalia. In December it was a Christmas-free zone where people could go to escape the near-universal relentless commercial drubbing.

Not owned by ebay. It was independent but now part of the "Hut Group", a UK ecommerce company.

Steve

Oh I know, yes, I tried their pizzas once.

Thanks for the info: I occasionally get e-mails from a company called The Hut, I guess it's the same one.

Go to apolloduck on line, Look at over 100 boats. THEN you may be able to clarify what you really want. A boat that makes a permanent and only home may not be a boat for weekends or long cruises. When you have seen lots of boats on the web and discarded 75% of them then you can spend fuel to visit marinas and private sellers.

Remember that any boat, yes ANY boat, is being sold with it's own "to do list" of possible maintenance, improvements, and sink critical faults. Unless you are a competent surveyor and have seen the boat weekly during hull build and fitout then you DO need to get a proper surveyor of YOUR choice to do a full survey for YOU. Using the marina's surveyor is like expecting an MOT from a car sales person.

Ebay has boats but as you bid to buy it's a risk because you will not normally be able to even see the boat before you buy. -Great source of ideas, bad source of boat deals.

• Greenie 1

Brilliant ideas and advice, thank you all. I had never heard of ABNB, and the tips for marinas en route are a great starting point. We intend to look online to find out if they are selling anything we are interested in rather than turn up just for a browse.

We have been looking online for a long time and hired many boats, but this will be the first time physically looking at boats for sale. Him with the wallet has ideas about what he wants and has now reached the stage we need to start 'looking to buy' to narrow down our likes and dislikes.

Thanks again :)