Wigan to Burnley

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

I'd be tempted to do all Wigan locks in one go, hard work but after the problems last week when 5 pounds were emptied overnight

it would be better to get to the top and relax there, there's loads of decent places to moor between Wigan and Blackburn, just avoid

staying overnight in Blackburn and then again between Blackburn and Burnley, loads of countryside, Enjoy !

I'd be tempted to do all Wigan locks in one go, hard work but after the problems last week when 5 pounds were emptied overnight

it would be better to get to the top and relax there, there's loads of decent places to moor between Wigan and Blackburn, just avoid

staying overnight in Blackburn and then again between Blackburn and Burnley, loads of countryside, Enjoy !

I agree with all this.

You may well get to know your weed hatch as well.

just avoid staying overnight in Blackburn

Tripe.

Deliberately stop at Eanam Wharf in Blackburn, and visit Calypso Caribbean restaurant.

It's right on the wharf, it's owned by a boater and it is in a great spot for access to trains, buses, shops, museums etc.

There is a new coffee shop and exhibition room opened in the Directors' House, and the Eanam Wharf Experience Trust are planning great things for the future.

http://www.eanamwharf.btck.co.uk/

It has taken a lot of hard work by a lot of people to improve the reputation and facilites, and much more will be taking place soon.

15 years ago nobody would want to even pass through there, but now it is a specific destination to aim for.

Admittedly you wouldn't want to moor in some parts of Blackburn, but that is true of most urban areas.

I've reported elsewhere that I moored overnight right on the back door to the Eanam Wharf pub/restaurant a couple of years ago and the only issue was one fag end on the back deck next morning.

We did Burnley to the top of the flight and back a few weeks ago. Plenty of pleasant mooring spots both towpath and pontoon rings. The only downside was access to diesel, although we managed OK.

Edited by Opener

I've reported elsewhere that I moored overnight right on the back door to the Eanam Wharf pub/restaurant a couple of years ago and the only issue was one fag end on the back deck next morning.

We did Burnley to the top of the flight and back a few weeks ago. Plenty of pleasant mooring spots both towpath and pontoon rings. The only downside was access to diesel, although we managed OK.

Reedley Marina sell diesel, but are closed on Mondays.

Tripe.

Deliberately stop at Eanam Wharf in Blackburn, and visit Calypso Caribbean restaurant.

It's right on the wharf, it's owned by a boater and it is in a great spot for access to trains, buses, shops, museums etc.

There is a new coffee shop and exhibition room opened in the Directors' House, and the Eanam Wharf Experience Trust are planning great things for the future.

http://www.eanamwharf.btck.co.uk/

It has taken a lot of hard work by a lot of people to improve the reputation and facilites, and much more will be taking place soon.

15 years ago nobody would want to even pass through there, but now it is a specific destination to aim for.

Admittedly you wouldn't want to moor in some parts of Blackburn, but that is true of most urban areas.

Glad you wrote that. We are heading that way in the coming weeks and will stop at Eanam Wharf. Edited by Nightwatch

Glad you wrote that. We are heading that way in the coming weeks and will stop at Eanam Wharf.

I'm sure I shouted that to you when you passed us at Simpsons Fold as you left Whins Bridge earlier in the year!

They are shut Monday & Tuesday night though, so timing matters.

Also recommend Canal View Cafe at Rishton, right on the visitor mooring at bridge 108A.

:-)

Reedley actually closed Sat lunchtime to Monday lunchtime

Thanks for the info - I have only been on Mondays!

As others have said I wouldn't stay overnight in the flight the long pound mentioned is ok in theory but due to the horrendously leaky locks you'll be grounded before dark...

You can stop st the top but personally would go on a bit further unless you need the services

Stopping at the top of the Wigan flight is absolutely fine.

Except for the spots where you can't get into the side because of the shelf / shallow draught and the wagons from the bakery waking you up before the crack of sparrowf**t

Each to their own....

Apart from places already mentioned, you might like to keep an eye open for:

1. past Bridge 80 / bottom of locks

2. before Br 69 / offside - rings on jetty next to park

3. after Br 118 + after winding hole (a bit noisy but great views)

4. after Br 109

5. after Br 93b - very rural!

6. Rishton or Church

7. before Inn on the Wharf / Br 130a in Burnley

(but not necessarily in that order!)