blinds

dominicebs

Featured Posts

On a previous boat we had a roller blind with magnets mounted in the bottom of the blind and small steel plates screwed to the cabin sides.

Current boat has some venetian blinds, which are held against the cabin side with a wire going through each slat and held taught by nuts and bolts top and bottom.

On a previous boat we had a roller blind with magnets mounted in the bottom of the blind and small steel plates screwed to the cabin sides.

That's neat - I might try that.

Currently using springy plastic hooks fixed to the cabin liner, into which the bottom rail of the blind fits neatly.

Edited by Machpoint005

We're going to do the opposite, changing venetian and roller blinds with curtains (we inherited them with the boat).

The bottom of the blinds are held into the side, just above the gunnel, by a plastic clip on either side. If you want to draw up the blinds, just pull the base out of the clip. See image.

At the base of the roller blinds, about an inch diameter of velcro has been attached to hold the bottom against the side, as in the image (pic not very sharp sorry).

Reason I want to change is because I don't think they are private enough, we're forever bending the slats as we brush past them (see eg on image), and I can't see how they can be as warm as curtains.

But it's each to their own smile.png

post-26819-0-15611900-1473874330_thumb.jpg

post-26819-0-19785500-1473874339_thumb.jpg

This earlier thread includes some photos showing my solution - still working well after quite a few years.

Vertical strings at each end (whipping line, tensioned by some thin elastic cord), which go through metal loops in the end of the bar, and hold the bottom of the blind against the wall.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=79597&p=1674390

I bought small brass cupboard door knobs. Cut the head off the fitting bolts (which would normally have screwed through from the inside of the door) and drilled a blind hole into the centre of each window cill. The knob is then screwed onto the cill at a suitable distance from the window frame. When lowered, the bottom batten of the blind fits neatly behind the knob and is held against the window.

Agree that the top of the blind stops the hopper top of the window opening but I feel we have enough ventilation via mushrooms and doors when required. A bonus is that we have somewhere to temporarily hang things. Small and unobtrusive.

Edited by Opener

Bakewell had standard roller blinds and the bottons just tucked behind a little rail, that was also useful for hanging things from. All from Ikea I think. It was a nice neat set up. Blinds shut and windows open is often trickier than with curtains, whatever the window type.