cooling inverter/charger

Neil Smith

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I have a sterling inverter charger in my electric cupboard just inside the rear doors but if its charging for a long time in this heat the overheat light flashes, so I have got a couple of computer fans about 90mm and was going to cut a hole in the floor to suck cold air into the bottom cupboard then another hole and second fan in the shelf to the top cupboard that houses the sterling, my question is do I want this fan to suck hot air out or blow cool air in?

Thanks Neil.

From the sound of it you are not planning a through flow of air past the charger. You can't just stuff air into a compartment or suck it out without having another route for the air to get out/in. I suggest you need a small grill or vent in the top of the door to allow a through flow of air. Then I'd push cool air from below with the fans and have it exit above the Sterling. You'd probably just need one fan in the shelf - it will push air into the compartment with the Sterling in, and pull air up from the floor holes.

Edited by nicknorman

Just cut the holes (above and below) and see how it goes, you may be surprised convection is a wonderful thing and free. biggrin.png

If you then find it is not enough one fan blowing in from the bottom may suffice.

Ensure holes are as big as possible without compromising integrity of cupboard etc.

Side note: I vented the top of the electric cupboard sideways into the coat cupboard and with the built in fan of the combi (Victron) coats are nice and warm

Edited by bottle