Bull baiting

Big Ade

Featured Posts

Wow, there are some sensitive souls on here. Just about all humour is based on someone's or something's misfortune, fortunately I am gifted in being able to laugh at such circumstances. (unless it is from Ricky Gervais, Alan Carr or Jack Whitehall who are nowhere near as funny as they think they are).

Now the bullocks, the fields they were in were interconnected, that means the farmer INTENDED them to move about. Were they distressed? Well they are now, we passed by the same fields and we were told that they have all gone to slaughter. My encounter might have briefly brightened up their mundane existance I don't think they were stressed in any way, my uncle had a mixed farm and I grew up working with farm animals. Some of my farmer friends give their young bulls a big ball to butt about (rather than each other) the bullocks seem to enjoy it, they toss their heads and paw the ground, hmmm.

On a lighter note, anyone interested in a boozy night of cock fighting, badger baiting and finishing up with a nocturnal shoot at a local RSPB reserve.

Blue touch paper lit and fizzing.

Ade

Are you sure you didn't spell it 'donut'?

Now that really IS offensive!

Absolutely.

There used to be a CWFer who persisted in perpetrating this orthographical aberration, but thankfully either he's buggered off or he's stopped doing it.

Wow, there are some sensitive souls on here. Just about all humour is based on someone's or something's misfortune, fortunately I am gifted in being able to laugh at such circumstances. (unless it is from Ricky Gervais, Alan Carr or Jack Whitehall who are nowhere near as funny as they think they are).

AAARRGGGHHH!!!

Please do NOT use that disgusting language on here. The toothy four-eyed poofy braying git should be barred from appearing on all media forthwith. He's about as funny as an enema.

Ricky Gervais, on the other hand, I find quite amusing.

. Some of my farmer friends give their young bulls a big ball to butt about (rather than each other) the bullocks seem to enjoy it, they toss their heads and paw the ground, hmmm.

I have had about 30 years experience with farm animals and I would agree it is difficult to tell the signs of playing and stress apart.

I also know that noises can easily stress stock I learned that as a kid trying out a bugle (it stressed more than the stock).

I suppose the fighting Bulls pawing the ground are having a great time as well, assuming as you seem to that tossing their heads and pawing the ground is always a sign of enjoyment.

Incidentally if he gave the ball to the young bulls how did the bullocks get hold of it?

If where the animals were kept as large as they sound wouldnt they run off or as far as possible from the thing, in this case the boat if it upset them?

Not thta it matters now, just wondering i te are that clever to think to move away, or are cows/bullocks hell bent on chasing things away.

If where the animals were kept as large as they sound wouldnt they run off or as far as possible from the thing, in this case the boat if it upset them?

Not thta it matters now, just wondering i te are that clever to think to move away, or are cows/bullocks hell bent on chasing things away.

In my experience they are more likely to try to chase it away.

• 10 months later...
On 9/14/2016 at 15:59, Jerra said:

I have had about 30 years experience with farm animals and I would agree it is difficult to tell the signs of playing and stress apart.

I also know that noises can easily stress stock I learned that as a kid trying out a bugle (it stressed more than the stock).

I suppose the fighting Bulls pawing the ground are having a great time as well, assuming as you seem to that tossing their heads and pawing the ground is always a sign of enjoyment.

Incidentally if he gave the ball to the young bulls how did the bullocks get hold of it?

I have little experience but was once at a rodeo where they were chasing bullocks on horseback and roping them, for practice. I was very much out in the sticks, and although I kind of disapproved, it was interesting.

I felt so sorry for the bullocks at first, but the more I watched the more it struck me that all the animals were actually having fun. Now, I'd be the first to accept that any view I had, positive or negative, was ill informed - and that even the best informed most experienced people will struggle to confidently and certainly assess state of mind in another human let alone another animal. So that's a big caveat - that what I saw was simply how things struck me, and might tell us more about me than about the cows and horses.

But the cows, while waiting, crammed together, in a narrow run, before being chased around the rodeo, none of them seemed agitated, no wide eyes, no tossing heads, no stamping. They made social sounding noises to each other now and then, but seemed more like a queue at a playground or theme park, waiting for their "go" if I'm honest! Of course, their flight response was triggered when their turn came up, and there's no doubt they - and the horses (and the cowboys!) felt some adrenaline at that point, but adrenaline and cortisone are two different hormones, and who knows if they actually suffered stress, or just excitement? A cople of nights playing games of "chase" might be the highlight of  those young, male animals' lives! They generally didn't get caught and tied and when they did they were released very soon after, and didn't seem to bothered (they ran like billy-o to get away but seemed fairly passive when caught, almost as if they knew the rules of the "game").

I had a go on one of the horses

The cowboys even let me have a go on one of the horses (minus the rope, thank god, I would have been more likely to hang myselfor break the horses legs than rope anything!)... and yes, of course it is because of how it was trained and what it expected, but it really wanted to run and chase around the bullocks, and always tried to drag you back to them if you tried to ride it elsewhere. And the cows, it almost seemed like those that had run were watching the others and laughing at their mates getting caught. 

I really 100% get that this might be a very fanciful thing, that I might have been projecting my own thoughts onto what I was seeing, and I am certainly not posting this in defense of any sporting activity involving animals. I guess it's just that I just had a big caffeine hit and was reading this, and it made me think of the rodeo back in the sticks in brazil. I think lots of us find these impossible to answer musings about the feelings of animals really fascinating, although I'm not sure I know exactly why. 

1 hour ago, captain flint said:

I have little experience but was once at a rodeo where they were chasing bullocks on horseback and roping them, for practice. I was very much out in the sticks, and although I kind of disapproved, it was interesting.

I felt so sorry for the bullocks at first, but the more I watched the more it struck me that all the animals were actually having fun. Now, I'd be the first to accept that any view I had, positive or negative, was ill informed - and that even the best informed most experienced people will struggle to confidently and certainly assess state of mind in another human let alone another animal. So that's a big caveat - that what I saw was simply how things struck me, and might tell us more about me than about the cows and horses.

But the cows, while waiting, crammed together, in a narrow run, before being chased around the rodeo, none of them seemed agitated, no wide eyes, no tossing heads, no stamping. They made social sounding noises to each other now and then, but seemed more like a queue at a playground or theme park, waiting for their "go" if I'm honest! Of course, their flight response was triggered when their turn came up, and there's no doubt they - and the horses (and the cowboys!) felt some adrenaline at that point, but adrenaline and cortisone are two different hormones, and who knows if they actually suffered stress, or just excitement? A cople of nights playing games of "chase" might be the highlight of  those young, male animals' lives! They generally didn't get caught and tied and when they did they were released very soon after, and didn't seem to bothered (they ran like billy-o to get away but seemed fairly passive when caught, almost as if they knew the rules of the "game").

I had a go on one of the horses

The cowboys even let me have a go on one of the horses (minus the rope, thank god, I would have been more likely to hang myselfor break the horses legs than rope anything!)... and yes, of course it is because of how it was trained and what it expected, but it really wanted to run and chase around the bullocks, and always tried to drag you back to them if you tried to ride it elsewhere. And the cows, it almost seemed like those that had run were watching the others and laughing at their mates getting caught. 

I really 100% get that this might be a very fanciful thing, that I might have been projecting my own thoughts onto what I was seeing, and I am certainly not posting this in defense of any sporting activity involving animals. I guess it's just that I just had a big caffeine hit and was reading this, and it made me think of the rodeo back in the sticks in brazil. I think lots of us find these impossible to answer musings about the feelings of animals really fascinating, although I'm not sure I know exactly why. 

As far as I am aware animals used in rodeos do so more than once, as a result they are quite likely to be enjoying themselves as they have experienced this before and know what is coming and that they don't get hurt/injured.

• Greenie 1