Inline pump for my diesel stove - suggestions please

AdamG

Featured Posts

Hi

I had my Lockgate diesel-fuelled stove serviced a couple of months ago, but have been unable to test it due to an apparent blockage in the fuel line. Now that the weather's beginning to turn, I need to sort it out.

It has been suggested that I get a simple pump and install it inline, close to the stove. This will allow me to run it very briefly until I can see fuel entering the bottom of the stove, then flick it off again.

I'm not sure, without removing wooden panels, whether I have a 12v supply near the stove but I definitely have 240v as there is a wall light right next to it. So, I'm thinking that 240v will be fine, especially as I will only want to run it for a few seconds at a time and when I'm on the cut, this won't draw too much from the battery bank.

Has anyone else done this before? Can you recommend a pump? Is this a good idea??

Many thanks

I have a pump for my Lockgate but it is close to the diesel tank (about 40' from the stove) and it is 12 volt. I am not really sure that it is essential, often the stove will operate without it.

If you need something strictly temporary, surely any 240 volt pump could be patched into the diesel line near the stove, using flexible pipe.

I have a pump for my Lockgate but it is close to the diesel tank (about 40' from the stove) and it is 12 volt. I am not really sure that it is essential, often the stove will operate without it.

If you need something strictly temporary, surely any 240 volt pump could be patched into the diesel line near the stove, using flexible pipe.

Yes, that's what I was thinking, but it's not something I've done before so was just after a bit of advice...

What makes you suspect a blockage? Is it fed from the engine fuel tank or does it have its own tank? Are there any fuel filters? If it worked fine before then it does not need a pump. It sounds as though there may be an air lock in the supply pipe.

It's gravity-fed from the main fuel tank, I believe. There could be some gunge in the fuel tank causing a blockage, I suppose. But rather than get someone in to 'hoover' out the fuel tank, I thought a simple pump installation would drag any blockage through the pipe. I could always run it in reverse to push the blockage back out into the fuel tank, but pulling it through to the stove where it would just be burned off seems sensible.

I have noticed a capped off fuel line in the well deck locker that has the tiniest fuel leak and is definitely diesel. My stove is up front, so I could possibly take a line off that to feed the stove. That would need more looking into though...

Could you just disconnect the pipe at the stove and see if the fuel runs freely? If it stops, connect a bicycle pump or garden sprayer and try and push any blockage back to the fuel tank?

You can make one hose fit another with duct tape on a temporary basis.

Edited by mross

Could you just disconnect the pipe at the stove and see if the fuel runs freely? If it stops, connect a bicycle pump or garden sprayer and try and push any blockage back to the fuel tank?

You can make one hose fit another with duct tape on a temporary basis.

That, my friend, is a cracking idea! I will look into it (and possibly by a bicycle pump!)...

Was it working previously?

If there's gunge in your fuel tank then your engine may stop next! I use a vacuum type oil recovery pump to suck out the bottom of my fuel tank but it was pretty good. To be sure that I was really at the bottom of the tank I used some rigid tubing connected to the suction hose. It was a rattling fit so I made one pipe bigger by wrapping it in duct tape. This pump is brilliant for oil changes or when you find 12 litres of diesel under your generator!

Edited by mross

II thought a simple pump installation would drag any blockage through the pipe. I could always run it in reverse to push the blockage back out into the fuel tank, but pulling it through to the stove where it would just be burned off seems sensible.

Personally I would never try to drag a blockage further into the fuel line, much better to blow it back if possible, if you don't have a suitable air pump I have found that an aerosol can of lighter gas can be useful to blow it back and clean it out.

Personally I would never try to drag a blockage further into the fuel line, much better to blow it back if possible, if you don't have a suitable air pump I have found that an aerosol can of lighter gas can be useful to blow it back and clean it out.

Another useful tip... many thanks.

Hi

I had my Lockgate diesel-fuelled stove serviced a couple of months ago, but have been unable to test it due to an apparent blockage in the fuel line. Now that the weather's beginning to turn, I need to sort it out.

It has been suggested that I get a simple pump and install it inline, close to the stove. This will allow me to run it very briefly until I can see fuel entering the bottom of the stove, then flick it off again.

I'm not sure, without removing wooden panels, whether I have a 12v supply near the stove but I definitely have 240v as there is a wall light right next to it. So, I'm thinking that 240v will be fine, especially as I will only want to run it for a few seconds at a time and when I'm on the cut, this won't draw too much from the battery bank.

Has anyone else done this before? Can you recommend a pump? Is this a good idea??

Many thanks

Rather than trying to pump the blockage out as has been suggested blow it out. If there is a filter on the stove fuel line as there should be I would suggest the following.

Turn off the diesel supply at the tank.

Get a 12 volt air pump of the type sold to inflate car tyre from the cigarette lighter socket. Disconnect the fuel line at a union near to the stove, with a bit of luck and a following wind the car tyre adaptor on the pump should fit over the end of the pipe.

Disconnect the fuel pipe at the filter, feed it into a 4 pint plastic milk bottle and secure it and support the whole lot so it cannot fall over and any fuel blown back leak out.

Run the pump you should not need to run it for more than a couple of minutes and with a bit of luck the blockage and fuel should be in the milk bottle.

That is basically what I did when similar happened to me. It worked for me. but note you do this at your own risk and if you are not used to play with diesel fuel maybe it would be better to get a boatyard to sort it. Do wear gloves and protective glasses

Edited by Geo

Rather than trying to pump the blockage out as has been suggested blow it out. If there is a filter on the stove fuel line as there should be I would suggest the following.

Get a 12 volt air pump of the type sold to inflate car tyre from the cigarette lighter socket. Disconnect the fuel line at a union near to the stove, with a bit of luck and a following wind the car tyre adaptor on the pump should fit over the end of the pipe.

Disconnect the fuel pipe at the filter, feed it into a 4 pint plastic milk bottle and secure it and support the whole lot so it cannot fall over and any fuel blown back leak out.

Run the pump you should not need to run it for more than a couple of minutes and with a bit of luck the blockage and fuel should be in the milk bottle.

That is basically what I did when similar happened to me. It worked for me. but note you do this at your own risk and if you are not used to play with diesel fuel maybe it would be better to get a boatyard to sort it. Do wear gloves and protective glasses

Thanks for this info... but I don't think there's the option to turn off at the tank. I can explore this; he boat is relatively new to me, so there may be a cut off somewhere...

If you only have a very small head of pressure and someone has put a couple of anti vibration coils in the pipe ex filter you could easily get an air lock in the top of those loops.

You say it comes from the main diesel tank, if the pipe enters the tank in the top then you will need to lift the diesel in that pipe to get it to gravity feed to your stove.

I take it this is all new to you, you mention a pipe in the well deck that is weeping. The shove is not fed from a day tank at the bows by any chance?

Thanks for this info... but I don't think there's the option to turn off at the tank. I can explore this; he boat is relatively new to me, so there may be a cut off somewhere...

There should be, cant you contact the previous owner?

edit

If its a fairly new boat there should be a manual with the information in it.

Edited by ditchcrawler

There should be a tap adjacent to the fuel taken, memory says it is required by BSS.

ETA How old is the boat?

Edited by Geo

Hi

Sorry to hijack the thread but could you tell me (PM if you prefer) who serviced your Lockgate, I would quite like to get mine done but do not fancy tackling it myself.

The boat is new to me, relatively, but it's 16 years old. I don't know if the stove has been on board since day 1 but it's certainly not recent. I have no idea where I'd find a cut-off valve....

If you find the diesel tank, normally but not always right at the stern of the boat, find where the fuel pipes go into the tank. Follow the pipe and within a foot or so of where it joins the tank should be the cutoff tap.

ETA normal inside the boat where the diesel filler cap is

Sorry to hijack the thread but could you tell me (PM if you prefer) who serviced your Lockgate, I would quite like to get mine done but do not fancy tackling it myself.

Not sure I would use the same person as part of the service I would have expected that the fuel flow to the stove was checked as being OK.

Edited by Geo

Is it just me? Stove at the front I think he said, capped pipe in the well deck leaking fuel - I assume he means the well deck at the front of the boat. Take that pair and nit sounds very much to me as if there may be a separate tank for the stove at the front and if so does it have fuel in it.

I think Adam needs to spend several hours exploring the boat, taking down linings if necessary so he knows just where the electrics and pipes run - hats all of them, not just for the stove. It will save hours in years to come and will probably throw up things he does not unde4rstand so just post a photo and ask..

It's gravity-fed from the main fuel tank, I believe. There could be some gunge in the fuel tank causing a blockage, I suppose. But rather than get someone in to 'hoover' out the fuel tank, I thought a simple pump installation would drag any blockage through the pipe. I could always run it in reverse to push the blockage back out into the fuel tank, but pulling it through to the stove where it would just be burned off seems sensible.

I have noticed a capped off fuel line in the well deck locker that has the tiniest fuel leak and is definitely diesel. My stove is up front, so I could possibly take a line off that to feed the stove. That would need more looking into though...

I'm afraid your bit in red above isn't going to work!

The Lockgate is a vapourising burner and has an oil regulator to control the fuel flowing into the burner pot. The regulator has its own little filter in the input which will collect the "blockage" (if that's what it is) first. The "blockage" could then block this filter, however if it doesn't and the "blockage" succeeds in getting through it, the next thing it will block is the regulator's float valve (a bit like the one in a petrol engine carburetter), if it gets through that(!) it will then encounter the metering stem/tube which has a very narrow slot in it to let very precise amounts of fuel flow out to the burner pot. (The metering stem is raised/lowered when you turn the control knob on the regulator). The metering stem is therefore very likely to get blocked!

Although you say you had it serviced a while ago, would the person doing it have disturbed things such that the regulator internals have now got a bit blocked perhaps?

Have you checked that diesel flows OK from the end of the fuel pipe into a container if it is disconnected (don't try this until you've found that isolating tap!)?

Richard

I'm afraid your bit in red above isn't going to work!

The Lockgate is a vapourising burner and has an oil regulator to control the fuel flowing into the burner pot. The regulator has its own little filter in the input which will collect the "blockage" (if that's what it is) first. The "blockage" could then block this filter, however if it doesn't and the "blockage" succeeds in getting through it, the next thing it will block is the regulator's float valve (a bit like the one in a petrol engine carburetter), if it gets through that(!) it will then encounter the metering stem/tube which has a very narrow slot in it to let very precise amounts of fuel flow out to the burner pot. (The metering stem is raised/lowered when you turn the control knob on the regulator). The metering stem is therefore very likely to get blocked!

Although you say you had it serviced a while ago, would the person doing it have disturbed things such that the regulator internals have now got a bit blocked perhaps?

Have you checked that diesel flows OK from the end of the fuel pipe into a container if it is disconnected (don't try this until you've found that isolating tap!)?

Richard

Hi Richard

Yes, you're quite right about sucking the blockage into the mechanism of the stove - I wrote that without thinking too much! I'm going to take Tony B's advice above and have a good explore to find out where things are. As I'm new to living aboard (first night May 1st) there are things I'm not sure of, although I've got a good knowledge of all the obvious stuff!