C & R T shower facilities?

Colin North

Featured Posts

Note whether any showers are provided is an extremely regional thing.

For example do not bother to look for CRT provided showers anywhere on the entire region covered by South East Waterways, (the region actually with the highest number of boats in its area), because there are none whatsoever.

However there are some on bits of the BCN that probably do not see more than about one or two passing boats in a typical day.

The cleanliness of the facilities can be dire

I have to say I've never found any that are dire....I've been in a few that I've felt guilty getting wet cos they have been so spotless.

Maybe we have been lucky....or are too used to some campsite or festival facilities.

Cheers

Gareth

The cleanliness of the facilities can be dire

Reminded by another thread, we found the facilities at Engine Arm very well maintained - the local resident boaters I believe make a tremendous difference. One of the most welcoming places we have been to in almost the most unlikely situation.

We always try to use shower facilities where possible, it saves having to fill our tank up! We have also found a vast difference in cleanliness and space / what is provided in the shower. The Lancashire side of the Leeds and Liverpool when we travelled through this year was

excellent, but the Yorkshire side were near non existent.

The BCN and just beyond is full of them:

Holliday Wharf,

Cambrian Wharf,

Hockley Port,

Ocker Hill,

Wolverhampton yard,

BCLM,

Sneyd Junction

Top of Camp Hill locks,

Engine Arm.

I've probably forgotten some. Some of these are on long term moorings sites but available for visitors too. Having said that, the majority of boats transiting Birmingham go from the city centre to Wolverhampton, passing close to 6 shower blocks in one day if they go via Smethwick locks (Holliday, Cambrian, Hockley, Engine Arm, BCLM, Wolverhampton). It does seems like overkill when other regions have nothing. There must be a historical reason?

We always try to use shower facilities where possible, it saves having to fill our tank up! We have also found a vast difference in cleanliness and space / what is provided in the shower. The Lancashire side of the Leeds and Liverpool when we travelled through this year was

excellent, but the Yorkshire side were near non existent.

Barrowford at the top of the L&L is the one I had in mind although this was maybe five yrs ago , as others have said many are excellent well maintained and clean and in good decorative order , only need to make use them when we have a eight berths in use

A few more for the list:

Lincoln

Bardney

Boston

Torksey

Cromwell

West Stockwith

Keadby

Naburn

Ripon

Selby

Bramwith

Tinsley

Loughborough

We don't tend to use the CRT facilities as they are so very hit and miss with the cleanliness. Ripon is one that stands out as being very well maintained and cleaned.

yes! Any more?

Is there a shower at merry hill or parkhead? can't picture it.

Yes there is a shower at Merry Hill.

Opposite end to where the pub is. As you point back to Brum.

But not at Parkhead.

There's one at Etruria too.

And its been said theres one south of Harecastle tunnel at the wildlife park facilliites.

There certainly one in the facillities north end of the tunnel, has that been mentioned?

Always found the facillities well kept everywhere, particularly Brum.

Grindley Brook

Yes there is a shower at Merry Hill.
Opposite end to where the pub is. As you point back to Brum.
But not at Parkhead.
There's one at Etruria too.
And its been said theres one south of Harecastle tunnel at the wildlife park facilliites.
There certainly one in the facillities north end of the tunnel, has that been mentioned?

Always found the facillities well kept everywhere, particularly Brum.

Westport Lake

This is a revelation to me. Not only have I never seen baths or showers at a sanny station, I didn't know that CART had any.

Sometimes in France, where such facilities are fairly common, I have thought "Why can't they have these in England?", not realising that they have!

This is a revelation to me. Not only have I never seen baths or showers at a sanny station, I didn't know that CART had any.

Sometimes in France, where such facilities are fairly common, I have thought "Why can't they have these in England?", not realising that they have!

When I first started boating it was on and around the BCN so I thought it was the norm to have showers at various points.

It wasn't til I went south I realised it's not the case. I found one at a pub on the Oxford, forget which, and one at Brentford.

Note whether any showers are provided is an extremely regional thing.

For example do not bother to look for CRT provided showers anywhere on the entire region covered by South East Waterways, (the region actually with the highest number of boats in its area), because there are none whatsoever.

However there are some on bits of the BCN that probably do not see more than about one or two passing boats in a typical day.

The are SE region showers in the bat box at Aylesbury basin and in the red brick building at the top of Buckby, opposite the pub.

N

showers at Sawley and both ends of the Beeston canal though the new ones at the Nottingham end have been miss used and vandalised on several occasions and the beeston end ones get blocked fairly often.

Fradley junction has well kept showers.

It is interesting that there are so many and well kept ones on the BCN -surely not provided in the days of working boats?