Bosley Locks right or wrong

Phil.

Featured Posts

Whilst cruising the system we try to play by the rules and also aid other boaters in their progress, but today this earned a telling off from a CRT employee. So not being absolutely sure I thought I would stick the scenario up and see what the canal experts think.

Descending Bosley today we were in lock five. As the crew opened the bottom gates I looked towards lock six and a chap there who appeared to be emptying the lock waved towards me. I acknowledged this signal and as I exited the lock instructed the crew to leave the gates open as a boat was coming up. There were no boats in the lock or pound behind us.

The crew walked ahead to help at lock six and it transpired the other chap was a single hander. As I approached the lock with the boat I could see a CRT employee remonstrating with the crew. The issue was the CRT employee had asked why the gates had been left open and when the crew indicated it was because this other boat was coming up the rather curt response was " it doesn't matter, next time shut them".

So in a nutshell were we right or wrong in what we did and if wrong is that specifically for the Bosley flight due to some anomaly or system wide. Thanks

Edited by Phil.

CRT employee or volunteer?

Either way it's an odd response, unless there was a truly massive leak in the top gates of the lock you left open behind you.

It's not really very relevant whether there is a boat behind you, as they should probably wait for the uphill boat anyway.

Only other thought is that perhaps the single-hander should have let you use the lock first, and there may have been words between him and the CRT person first on that point??

That's ridiculous. I've lost count of the number of times we've been up and down Bosley, and of course you leave the gates open for an approaching boat. What's point of doing anything else? Any water that drains into the lock from leaking gates will just have to be emptied out again for the boat coming the other way.

I'd have taken this guy's name and reported him. He's almost bound to be a volocky on that flight.

I got bollocked by one of the Bosley volunteers a while back for something or other I was doing - can't actually remember what, but it was certainly nothing I hadn't done a hundred times before and was a perfectly normal part of my locking. Some of them are as bit officious - I'm surprised they knew what was going on down the flight though, they usually just sit at the top drinking tea. They certainly have never come down the flight to help me as a singlehander.

I came through Middlewich a month back - one of the volunteers had bust a strap on his lifejacket, so he wasn't allowed to go anywhere near the lock. His mate didn't seem to want to either, the two of them just stood and watched a series of boats working through by themselves.

If I'd been the singlehander (as I am), I'd have pointedly thanked your crew for leaving the gates for me.

And I'd probably asked the CRT chap for the reason for his contrary opinion. I's always best to get things clear.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Whilst cruising the system we try to play by the rules and also aid other boaters in their progress, but today this earned a telling off from a CRT employee. So not been absolutely sure I thought I would stick the scenario up and see what the canal experts think.

Descending Bosley today we were in lock five. As the crew opened the bottom gates I looked towards lock six and a chap there who appeared to be emptying the lock waved towards me. I acknowledged this signal and as I exited the lock instructed the crew to leave the gates open as a boat was coming up. There were no boats in the lock or pound behind us.

The crew walked ahead to help at lock six and it transpired the other chap was a single hander. As I approached the lock with the boat I could see a CRT employee remonstrating with the crew. The issue was the CRT employee had asked why the gates had been left open and when the crew indicated it was because this other boat was coming up the rather curt response was " it doesn't matter, next time shut them".

So in a nutshell were we right or wrong in what we did and if wrong is that specifically for the Bosley flight due to some anomaly or system wide. Thanks

You weren't doing anything wrong at all, . . . the C&RT bloke was an idiot.

Just to clarify a couple of points made. Despite most of the locks leaking badly, surprisingly lock five was not too bad. The employee was just that and not one of the volunteers. He was engaged in doing some work with a wheelbarrow and some grit. But thanks anyway I shall carry on as before as it seems the norm.

Whilst cruising the system we try to play by the rules and also aid other boaters in their progress, but today this earned a telling off from a CRT employee. So not been absolutely sure I thought I would stick the scenario up and see what the canal experts think.

Reckon you were correct.

I came down them sunday and did my usual thing of sitting in an empty lock when I see someone coming up the next lock, then cross in the pound.

Seems easiest. Did it at least half a dozen times.

I left several gates open, with the intention of walikng back when going up Cean Hill. 3 lockies came down and cheerily told me off. "A good job you'e here then" i said "you can save me having to walk back down and shut them". I didnt get any offer of help after that. It was first thing in the morning and I was they only boat insight.

Yes, you were right.

Some CRT people (and some volunteers) think they know all about boating but don't, they only know the BASIC rules which are really only for beginners - close all the gates and paddles on leaving a lock. There was certainly no problem with any Bosley locks where we were there a couple of weeks ago - except the usual complaint about them - no way to cross the top gates, so you have to walk around more than usual.

Yes, you were right.

Some CRT people (and some volunteers) think they know all about boating but don't, they only know the BASIC rules which are really only for beginners - close all the gates and paddles on leaving a lock. There was certainly no problem with any Bosley locks where we were there a couple of weeks ago - except the usual complaint about them - no way to cross the top gates, so you have to walk around more than usual.

Use the boat to cross the lock. Step across the bow when opening and across the back when closing.

On balance I would say you are right.

But as this appears to depart from regular practice I would have asked for an explanation.

But without a good reason here from the CRT employee, it is not possible to say with any certainty.